We Have Arrived & Have A Question

Craig01

Hi Guys ... well our time has come and we arrived after a 26 hour ordeal from Cape Town to Adelaide. Broken SAA plane at CT, 8 pieces of luggage disappearing temporarily between CT & JHB, almost missing our qantas flight from JHB, the same flight being delayed by a further hour & then missing our connecting flight from Sydney to Adelaide as a result of the delays ... all this with two small kids .... eeish

At least we were taken through a drive-through bottle store on the way to our house - bloody marvellous concept !

Jet lag took two days to recover from so we at least feel human again.

What a fantastic place this is ... we had a picnic this evening at a beautiful clean park in Christies beach - watched the sunset without fear of the dark :whome: - priceless

Another HUGE thanks to all on the forum that assisted with advice!

To all the wannabes, keep plugging away at it - this is so worth it

We are in Port Noarlunga and happy to be here but:

I would like some suggestions on other areas please?

We have two small kids so the criteria would be: plenty of parks and things for the kids to do within reasonable walking distance, not too dodgy an area and public transport access within walking distance? Work is not too much of an issue as I will be opening an electrical contracting business and believe that I will make it work no matter where I am.

ps: We are open for a get-together anywhere in Adelaide - be it a braai/barbie/picnic/coffee/opskop - anyone keen?

Craig

• Like 3

Hi Craig

I am arriving in Aus on 5 March. Will first go to Sydney to visit my sis and then coming alone to Adelaide (and have never been there before) so would really like to organise a get together once i'm there. Let's stay in touch.

Moo

Hi Craig,

Cherice here, firstly welcome to all family members!! Adelaide is a wonderful place i have been here for almost three years now, Adelaide is a wonderful place to raise your kids, i dont have any children myself ( but derive my experience from a younger brother i have :-) I think the best place for you and your family would be GLENELG! beautiful close to the beach LOTS of parks shopping school, kindergarten etc. I myself live and work close to the Airport.

All the best to you guys!

Email me should you or your misses have any queries.

Hi Craig

Glenelg is beautiful and definitely the best place if you have alot of spare cash to spend on housing. We are in Port Noarlunga and love it. We are busy in the process of settling on land and will be building our house this year. It's a very up and coming place and people say it's going to be the next Glenelg. Ed works for Wayne Phillis Ford and the girls attend Port Noarlunga Primary School. I commute daily by train to the city and it's a short 35 min trip on the express train in the mornings. We've also lived in Tea Tree Gully for around 16 months back in 2008/2009 and although nice areas, it just gets too hot up there. We absolutely love it down here and wouldn't change it for anything.

• 1 month later...

Hi Craig you can also look at Woodcroft, or Hallet Cove even Marion. Just take a drive on a Sunday through the suburbs.

We are in Trott Park and are close to city but also close to Noalunga...a half way type option works for us.

Hi Craig, welcome to Adelaide!!

I have family in Adelaide and remember them saying that North is not the best option - not sure where you are at the moment, but hope that gives you an idea. I drove through quite a bit of Adelaide on a few occassions - Glenelg definitely gets top score, but so does the hills and the South (family lived in Marion - nice area. They now live in Reynella East and very happy there - they have 3 young boys and happy with the schools etc.) I could always ask them for their opinion but I'm sure the many Adelaiders on the forum will be able to give you a better idea.

• 3 weeks later...

Adelaide is certainly the place to be. Pretty much 30 mins from just about any where to the CBD.

No tolls to pay nor any parking meters :) (there are a very few pay areas but only a few).

It certainly is the Festival State. There is always something happening. We just got back from our LSD trip and experienced the Fringe and Clipsal-500.

As for areas to live, can't help you there as we are still to make our permanent move. But did love the charm of Glenelg. Port Noralunga is pretty nice too and on its way to becoming Glenelg.

All the best.

Hi guys ... thanks for all the advice ..... we have moved to Brisbane :> ..... not to worry though, it has nothing to do with not receiving good advice in this thread :> Hey Ericks ..... I am good thanks....how are you doing? Finished up at Peer a few weeks ago ... and received my licence in the post a week or so later.

Thanks zamunda, we lived in Port Noarlunga for a couple of months after we arrived .... it is nice down there ... we stayed at a house run/owned by Tamara and Shaun from 'Homes Down Under' - an ex South African couple that go out of their way to make a person feel welcome - I would highly recommend them

• 1 year later...

Hows it going in Brisbane Craig? Are there many South Africans there? Have been to Melbourne and Sydney but not to Bribane. Just currious.