The Whitsundays

Nilo

We have been in Australia for 5 years now :ilikeit: Arrived and settled in Brisbane, even bought a house. Then moved to Sydney where we lived to 10 months, lovely city but most probably not the right time of our lives to live there. (met some awesome, great people though)We then moved to Airlie Beach in the Whitsundays and are happier than happy :lol:

For all of you interested in a break on the ocean between the lovely Islands in the Whitsundays I suggest you have a look at Bare boat Charters (Generally, a bareboat is a charter boat that comes without a skipper or crew. In other words you would skipper the boat yourself and your friends and family would be the crew.) PS you do NOT need a Skippers Licence to be able to have a Bare boat Yachting Holiday. (here is a link to the website of the company I work for http://www.whitsundayescape.com/?gclid=CPaa4ZeY4q0CFaNLpgode0ho-A )

I work for a Yacht company, cleaning or rather detailing the charter yachts and I'm loving every minute of it. Here's a photo taken at the Marina looking towards mainland.

post-1335-0-44888800-1327186498.jpg

Just wanted to add that it's not as expensive as one would expect and the various companies have heaps of specials especially in the 'slow' seasons.

Nilo, you must have the best job in teh world. I hope you get lots of opportunities to go sailing as well.

You make us jealous jealous jealous!! :ilikeit::ilikeit:

Enrica I honestly do...I've always loved cleaning just never thought of making it my job. The photo I attached is my office! Another advantage is that I'm getting great excersize while working not to mention a tan :) We go sailing often...had my birthday on a yacht last year, we went for a Sun-downer sail and it was lovely.

withsundays are beautiful although i wont be able to live there due to the cyclone threats

withsundays are beautiful although i wont be able to live there due to the cyclone threats

Putting up with that Freemantle Doctor all the time is worse ;)

Sorry Fish I disagree, the Fremantle Doctor is a God Send especially in Summer when it is so hot you are melting.

You have to live in Perth to appreciate the Doctor!!

@ Emille, they're no worries B) it's actually quite exciting having to prepare and watching the BOM....Experienced 3 now...Uluy, Anthony and Yasi. One must however never get too complacent... Our House is on a hill and surrounded/protected which makes things a little easier I dare say.

Rodz on the forum lives in Tully and they got the brunt of Yasi...lived thru it to tell the tale. In actual fact I think there was only one death and that was a guy who put the generator in the same room as he was in to watch the Cricket....not a good idea.

Whenever I read your posts on Facebook I get jealous, jealous jealous! But then I think, "one day that will be me". I will make it happen - just have to get my youngest through school first and then hubby & I can spread our wings!!!

Sorry Fish I disagree, the Fremantle Doctor is a God Send especially in Summer when it is so hot you are melting.

But don't you get blown off the beach in the afternoon :PB)

Bit too much relief I heard...you get blown off the beach :)

Enrica I honestly do...I've always loved cleaning just never thought of making it my job. The photo I attached is my office! Another advantage is that I'm getting great excersize while working not to mention a tan :) We go sailing often...had my birthday on a yacht last year, we went for a Sun-downer sail and it was lovely.

Hi Nilo!

Definitely on my list - I live here now!

Please shout if you need a student or 2 for vacation jobs....

@ Emille, they're no worries B) it's actually quite exciting having to prepare and watching the BOM....Experienced 3 now...Uluy, Anthony and Yasi. One must however never get too complacent... Our House is on a hill and surrounded/protected which makes things a little easier I dare say.

Hi Nilo

I lived in Yepoon (near Rockhampton) and 'lived' through Uluy, Anthony and Yasi as well. Not that they actually ever reached Yeppoon but they couldve been. I was in a state of shock and watching BOM 24/7, had my windows taped, had emergency supplies - the whole works. Scariest periods of my life... And our house was on a hill overlooking the sea with nothing between us and the sea (the only times I hated having a sea view). The worst thing for me pretty much was the 'waiting' from teh time they announce the cyclone which could be a week beforehand - and the speculation during the waiting time whether they will come to your town or not (the scary 'cross the coast' climax) - also scary when you phone your insurance and they tell you 'sorry we do not change insurance policies for your area due to the coming cyclone'

but you are right though its kind of exciting in a very weird, fatalistic, end-of-the-world (or end-of-your-life) kind of way

Hi there we live in Jubilee Pocket already 4 months. What a stunning part of Qld Australia.

Kids love it here and enjoying school.

Trix

My daughter lives in Jubbs...just love it here :) Darn hot the past couple of weeks. Might be time to arrange a SA get together at the Lagoon, what do you think?

Bit too much relief I heard...you get blown off the beach :)

Not true at all

Not true at all

I was only stirring but I must say a lot of Perthites on another forum say they go to the beach in the morning before the afternoon wind arrives and makes it too unpleasant. Though some of them are glass half empty types :)

Could do with that cool breeze here in the Whitsundays at the moment, it's hot and humid! Expecting a Southern wind in the next day or two but as I understand that ups the chances of Cyclone formation.... fun fun fun :P

Archived