Anything Like Discovery Vitality

amyethomson

One thing I am sad about saying goodbye to when I leave SA in two weeks is my Discovery Medical Aid Vitality Diamond status.

By earning points on my medical aid by healthy eating, doing regular health checks, and frequent exercise, Discovery awards its members with some wonderful perks; including discounted flights and accommodation, up to 75% pay back on 'healthy items' purchased at Pick n Pay etc.

I am curious to know if there is anything similar on offer in Aus... not only with medical aids but at shops, gyms.... anywhere (I'm a self-confessed bargain hunter)???

I used to work for Discovery and was on their top tier internal rewards system as well as the Diamond status on Vitality. That meant a lot of savings - we averaged 3k cashback per month...

Anyway...to answer your question, I've never found any rewards system, for any service provider that comes anywhere close to even the blue status of Vitality. Seriously, the rewards systems here are a joke in comparison. I'd be interested if someone finds something, but I haven't yet. I mean, you look at some of them and you have to spend $50,000 to get a $50 voucher.

I sent an email to Adrian (Gore) asking him to start the Discovery Suite here in Oz as they'd make a killing with the Vitality offering.

-G

Jip, there's nothing like Discovery (any level!) in Australia. It's cough up and pay even on the best health fund.

PS: Any big kahoona @ Discovery reading this? How about starting a Discovery fund here in Aus? Just asking.... whistling.gif

What a pity to hear... not only did I save lots of $$$ every month on Discovery, but it also got me to the gym!

Suppose self motivation will be key from now on...

But it would be great if there was something similar on offer in Aus as I think the concept is brilliant.

We also miss it - was also on diamond... My husband worked for Discovery and before we left a few years ago they were looking at everything over here in Aus. They are already in the US and the UK, (under another name though) so hold thumbs, fingers crossed - it might still happen!

• 1 month later...

Speaking of vitality...........and the gyms..........

To me the gym facilities in Oz suck big time...........they do not have childcare for mothers who train after work..........their hours for childcare is from 08h00 to 12h00................and it is not to the same standards......

I am going to see if I can get hold of Richard Branson's group and ask for Virgin Actives is OZ!!!!! I am sure it will be a hit as well!!!

Maybe someone knows about a decent gym in Oz

I am going to see if I can get hold of Richard Branson's group and ask for Virgin Actives is OZ!!!!! I am sure it will be a hit as well!!!

There are already a few Virgin Actives in Aus. Mostly in Sydney and Melbourne as far as I know.

Childcare is one thing that is very expensive here compared to cheap labour in RSA. Aussies are so used to juggling their lifestyles around that, I think that if the demand was great enough it would be a viable option for the gyms.

There are already a few Virgin Actives in Aus. Mostly in Sydney and Melbourne as far as I know.

Ok I did not know that...............but I am going to Canberra so that does not help me much :(

• 3 weeks later...

I've been meaning to post this article as I think it shows us just how fortunate South Africans are with Discovery Vitality/Card:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/credit-card-rewards-swiped-rba-finds-20120315-1v67q.html

$18000 to get just $100... an incredible ripoff.

Qantas airmiles are a bit of a joke too requiring you to spend like somewhere around 100,000 points to get a return ticket to South Africa.

-G

We've earned 8 return tickets to SA in 5 years from Qantas points. They're 84,000 return. Less from Perth. Sure, they're not Discovery, but if you learn how to take advantage of offers, and use daily expenses such as childcare, bills, groceries, etc as a way to earn points like we have, it's not all bad.

We've earned 8 return tickets to SA in 5 years from Qantas points. They're 84,000 return. Less from Perth. Sure, they're not Discovery, but if you learn how to take advantage of offers, and use daily expenses such as childcare, bills, groceries, etc as a way to earn points like we have, it's not all bad.

Wow I think I am going to have to take some lessons from you Hansa!!!

Wow I think I am going to have to take some lessons from you Hansa!!!

I counted again just to make sure I wasn't lying - it's actually 7 return tickets, but hey, what's one between friends. :blush:

Happy to provide lessons, just ask for a quote... :grads:

I counted again just to make sure I wasn't lying - it's actually 7 return tickets, but hey, what's one between friends. :blush:

Happy to provide lessons, just ask for a quote... :grads:

Now that changes everything! :)

• 2 weeks later...

When shopping at Woolies ($50 and over) you get a 8c discount per liter of fuel

Archived