From Umhlanga Rocks, Kzn To Mackay, Qld

amyethomson

A year ago I never imagined I would be moving to Mackay, Queensland...

I met my husband Lane, in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe in 2010 while on a business trip from Umhlanga Rocks, South Africa.

Without sounding too soppy, it was love at first sight and our relationship blossomed.

Lane had recently applied for a working visa to move to Aus, whereas I had just built a new home in Ballito and started a new property management business so I was very settled at home.

Little did I know what the future held...

In Feb 2011, Lane's 457 Visa was approved and he soon jetted off to Perth to begin working at a company.

Over the next few months we made the most of Skype dates and Whatsapp conversations and in June 2011 I went over to Perth for a holiday to see my love.

Lane had it all planned out and proposed to me in the beautiful town of Pemberton, not far from Margaret River.

I was overcome with joy and so excited that we were to spend our lives together, and it was then that the decision was then made that we would get married in December 2011 and I would then move to Aus.

Over the next six months I had to sell my business, sort out my property, deal with leaving my family, friends, and my darling Jack Russel, Oliver... and plan my dream wedding. Lane also made the move from Perth to Mackay, for work... and had to provide moral support, and wedding assistance, from afar.

Well.. we pulled it off and, after six months apart, got married on 30 December 2011, when Lane returned to South Africa for 12 days.

On 8 January 2012 (only 8 days after my visa application was submitted) my 457 visa came through, and on 28 January 2012 I leave South Africa to join my husband in Mackay.

The past few roller coaster months have taken a toll emotionally, but I can truly say I am so excited about what the future holds and have complete peace in my heart that I am doing the best thing for myself, my husband and our family-to-be.

I look forward to spending time with my husband, exploring Queensland and greater Australia, starting a new job, making new friends.... and beginning the biggest adventure of our lives!

Amy

Hi Amy

Well there you go- if it is meant toi be it is meant to be!!!!

Just a possible connection- send a personal message(pm) to our member Bos&Marlene

Marlene has just migrated from Salt Rock to Airlie beach, and her youngest will be at school in Mackay, so a chance of a catch up possible.

Good Luck on your journey

Thanks Qld Girl

I will most certainly look them up!

Wow Amy, that is an amzing story! Good luck and enjoy Mackay. We have friends who have been living there for almost 3 years and love it!

Hi Amy

Well there you go- if it is meant toi be it is meant to be!!!!

Just a possible connection- send a personal message(pm) to our member Bos&Marlene

Marlene has just migrated from Salt Rock to Airlie beach, and her youngest will be at school in Mackay, so a chance of a catch up possible.

Good Luck on your journey

Thanks QGirl!

I have been in touch with Amy via e-mail.

All well here, signed a contract for a house, settlement date 1 March! Can't wait...

What a lovely story!!! Congrats and all the best in Aus!!!

Thanks QGirl!

I have been in touch with Amy via e-mail.

All well here, signed a contract for a house, settlement date 1 March! Can't wait...

That is FANTASTIC NEWS Marlene!! Its all coming together my friend. :ilikeit::ilikeit::ilikeit:

All the best i worked in Umhlanga for many years

You will love it up here in Northern Queensland. MacKay is a lovely City and has it's own Airport (Which is great) We live in the Whitsundays and all I can say is we've come home :).

Archived