Tvs To Take Or Leave

Macarat

We are arriving in April!!!! Yay - can't wait.

We have an LG and a Samsung HD TVs. Does anyone know if these will work in Australia?

Australia is just across the ocean, not a different galaxy... :whome:;)

Yes, of course they'll work here. If they have built in HD tuners, all you do is tune the channels in. If it's just HD ready, then they may not have the buit in tuner, in which case you'll just need to get a local HD set top box which is cheap.

Also, compare the price of shipping them across against buying new in Aus if they're older models. I noticed the choices in electronic goods are much larger, so you could score an 'upgrade' over there.

If they are still new, it could be worth the while just packing them and taking them along.

Yes, of course they'll work here. If they have built in HD tuners, all you do is tune the channels in. If it's just HD ready, then they may not have the buit in tuner, in which case you'll just need to get a local HD set top box which is cheap.

The Set Top Box may be needed because our TV signal in South Africa is analogue. In Australia its digital.

Your TV may support digital terrestrial; but its unlikely as digital TV signal not widely available in RSA. So its unlikely LG or Samsung or whoever would have thrown in an unnecessary extra.

Thank you so much everyone. I know it seems a silly question and I know Australia is only another country but these new TVs have to be crated which is expensive and I want to know it's worth paying for.

Thank you so much everyone. I know it seems a silly question and I know Australia is only another country but these new TVs have to be crated which is expensive and I want to know it's worth paying for.

It is not a silly question :)

There is ALWAYS a sale/special on somewhere where you could get a good deal on tv's. On the other hand - if you crate your tv surely you will take out insurance which would help if anything goes wrong.

Good luck :ilikeit:

Did not cost us anything extra for them to crate our TV, TV's are cheap here and we bought and even bigger one before our container arrived.

I know Aussies think nothing of dropping AU$ 2000 (or R16 000) for a TV.

I was told once by several Aussies that any TV much under AU$ 2000 is probably a load of rubbish and is just going to waste your time.

I suppose its the 1.5x calculation... I am told that the cost of living (and Salaries) in Sydney are 1.5X what they are in RSA. Assume the exchange rate is 8x.

So, the calculation is : AU$ 2000 / 1.5 * 8. Which is R10 666. Well that sounds about right... South Africans will tell you a good TV costs over R10 000.

Oh and look at:

http://www.getprice.com.au/buy-best-sony-tv.htm

A " Sony BRAVIA KDL46EX720 46inch Full HD 3D LED TV " is $1049 or R 8392 and that's the regular price (not a special)

Cheers

We bought the Sony Bravia 55 inch LCD from WOW one year ago and paid $2200, that model had just come out, it now costs $1299. We bought a 42inch (can't remember the brand) for our daughter as she is an on line gamer, in November for $629. We have to either buy locally from Retravision or factor in shipping costs if we buy from any of the places on getprice.com.

I don't agree that TV's under $2000 are rubbish, depends what you want them for, and remember that the technology changes so quickly that your $2000 TV is obsolete within 2 years. Shortly after we bought the Bravia, the 3D and internet Tv's came out, although we do the internet thing through our Tbox anyway. Our area of Queensland just switched to digital so unless they are full HD, you will need a set top box.

Incidentally, on our local buy, swap sell page, people cannot give analogue TV's away, no-one wants them.

I wish that we had not bought our TV's over! Wish someone had advised us. Leave your TV's behind and buy here.

Our TV was only 8 months old LG 42" full HD..... anyway we packed it in our container as finances are tight moving and we do not have jobs, so we can now sit on the floor and watch TV in surround sound (packed that too) + our blue ray player. So I know we will survive the "camping months" should we be pushed that far :whome:

See you in ACT

T

I agree Andrea, we paid $1200 for LG HD LED Great TV, kids love it with the XBox. But you cant think of the price of TV's in Rands when you are earning Dollars here. Just take any electronic device in $ and calculate what you should pay in R by calculating $ X the exchange rate and see what the equivalent cost is in SA and you are paying twice what you should for electronic stuff in SA than you should. The only exception to this I found was Apple ipods etc which was roughly the same.

I tend to wait for things to be on clearance, it's amazing what bargains you can pick up. I like quality, but I don't have to have the latest gear.

My brother/sister in law paid $10000 for their tv and surround sound 5 years ago and I seriously can't tell the difference between theirs and my current LG system for under $2k. Theirs may have been good at the time, but I can't see the sense in paying such big dollars for something that will beless than half the price two years later.

I've literally just bought a Harman Kardon receiver and Wharfdale speakers for $500 on clearance where they would have been triple that originally. Can't wait to plug them in...

I tend to wait for things to be on clearance, it's amazing what bargains you can pick up. I like quality, but I don't have to have the latest gear.

My brother/sister in law paid $10000 for their tv and surround sound 5 years ago and I seriously can't tell the difference between theirs and my current LG system for under $2k. Theirs may have been good at the time, but I can't see the sense in paying such big dollars for something that will beless than half the price two years later.

I've literally just bought a Harman Kardon receiver and Wharfdale speakers for $500 on clearance where they would have been triple that originally. Can't wait to plug them in...

MMmmmmm...... Wharfdale...lov' em.

If you're bringing a container over, then the answer seems simple to me - bring them over. At least you'll be able to use them for another couple of months or even years if you wish (and if they last) before you'd need to replace them and by then you'll be earning in $'s and at the rate that TV prices are dropping these days, a bargain is just around the next corner.

Thank you everyone. This is such an amazing forum and has been a huge help to us.

Archived