It's Time 2 Go

I.P. + Hanlie

Hi all

So we decided it's time 2 go (2 oz).

Let me start off by saying thanx to everyone contributing on this forum. Me and my wife only joined recently, and already learned so much from all u guys. So at this stage we are unable to contribute much, as we don't yet have all the experience as so many of you clearly have. But we will contribute if possible and as time goes by, maybe someone can learn from one or two of our mistakes that might come up. :-)

At this stage we have many irons in the fire, waithing for replies from oz etc. So it is nervous times. We lodged our skills assessment with VETASSESS on the 24th of November 2011. Hope 2 have an answer by February 2012. My wife is the main applicant. (176 SS Canberra) Both me and my wife wrote the IELTS test on the 3rd of December 2011, and hope 2 have the results by Thursday the 15th. (I see we are not the only ones waithing for those results. Best of luck. We wrote in JHB.)

I also applied for academic exemption and practical legal training exemption in oz (for my law qualification), which results I am still waiting for.

Anyway, thanx again for all the info. This is such a valuable forum.

I.P.

Hi I.P

You state that you applied for academic exemption and practical legal training exemption in oz (for your law qualification) - How do you do this?? And is it per State, or whole of Oz?

Regards

Janine

Welcome to the forum. I wish you all the best with your application :ilikeit: . Stay positive and hang in there. It's a roller coaster ride but all worth it. When you get the visa it'll be just the beginning of a long road ahead with lots of challenges that you'll overcome. That's where we are right now. Got the 175 and now preparing for our move. Thank God for this Forum.

Hi guys and welcome to the Forum!

Glad you also found this Forum - each day I just keep on learning more and more from the ever helpful members - thanks to everyone for your valuable input!

Regards, Basil

Hi all

Thanx 4 all the welcome messanges.

Janine, the exemption applications are so easy, straight forward. Once you are admitted to practise in any one of the states in oz, you can practise in any place in oz. Canberra does not provide for this type of applications, thus they said/recomended I must apply via NSW. Each territory and state has its own 'law society'. I applied for exemption from NSW, many people recomended I do it via them, very well organised. You will have to lodge two applications, one for academic exemption in order to establish what subjects (units) you must still take in order for oz (NSW) to recongnize your law qualification. Usually this will be between 3 - 5 units. (+- R18 000 per unit at UNE) UNE = University of New England in NSW. From the time they receive your application till you are informed of which units to take will be 4 - 6 weeks. I am still waiting, but hope 2 hear early 2012 as closing date for electronic registration by correspondence students is 31 January 2012. If English is your first language, then no need for IELTS. But if not, then IELTS on academic level in order to study at UNE. You can have a look on UNE website.

The there is the second application for practical legal training exemption. This is lodged to the Legal Profession Admission Board (NSW). They only 'sit' on specific dates, for example my application will only be heard on the 7 February 2012. Usually there are a further two subjects for SA lawyers (if admitted as attorney in SA) to comply with, this being extra to those subjects mentioned above. The cost involved bit less than above mentioned, but not much.

Academic exemption is done on a form 16, while practical legal exemption is done on a form 17. Both can be obtained from the Legal Profession Admisssion Board.

These applications cost R1 800-00 each.

This in a nut-shell. If you need more info etc. you can send me a private mail and I will forward you these documents etc.

Hope this helps. Other members are more than welcome to correct or provide further info.

Regards

I.P.

Hi.

Good Luck! We've been in this process for 2 years now. Finaly we start to see the light. Firts we applied for PR but was denied because my employer did not informed me that I must do a skill assessment...Well I didn't think it was necessary because the gov already approved and I had a contract. "Mens raak moedeloos so langs die pad, maar hou aan dis verseker die moeite werd!" Will be in Adelaide before end of January!

Hi all

Thanx 4 all the welcome messanges.

Janine, the exemption applications are so easy, straight forward. Once you are admitted to practise in any one of the states in oz, you can practise in any place in oz. Canberra does not provide for this type of applications, thus they said/recomended I must apply via NSW. Each territory and state has its own 'law society'. I applied for exemption from NSW, many people recomended I do it via them, very well organised. You will have to lodge two applications, one for academic exemption in order to establish what subjects (units) you must still take in order for oz (NSW) to recongnize your law qualification. Usually this will be between 3 - 5 units. (+- R18 000 per unit at UNE) UNE = University of New England in NSW. From the time they receive your application till you are informed of which units to take will be 4 - 6 weeks. I am still waiting, but hope 2 hear early 2012 as closing date for electronic registration by correspondence students is 31 January 2012. If English is your first language, then no need for IELTS. But if not, then IELTS on academic level in order to study at UNE. You can have a look on UNE website.

Wow..I studied at UNE for 4 years. Great university. Wouldn't say the same for Armidale though. Very cold and lonely place. Not much to do. But Tamworth is only 2 hours away. Not bad at all.

Wow..I studied at UNE for 4 years. Great university. Wouldn't say the same for Armidale though. Very cold and lonely place. Not much to do. But Tamworth is only 2 hours away. Not bad at all.

Hi Geeone

Wish we could have our Visa like you guys.

That is gr8 news about your experience at UNE. It makes me possitive to face the many challenges.

Regards

I.P.

Archived