Weird Military Questions

CharmyWarmy

Hi everyone

We are in the process of applying for our 457 visa. We have a reference number and are working through an agent. We were asked to send in my hubby's discharge papers since he was in infantry school during the period of 1990 to 1991. We managed to send through everything, but now we have been asked to provide more information via a "statement and declaration" form. Certain questions on this form are very difficult to answer. It asks for official ranks and names of all sorts of people that my hubby can't remember. It was so long ago that the only person he remembers is his Major! I was on the internet for hours last night trying to find some answers but it doesn't seem like anyone else has been asked to fill this form in.

Can anyone help me with this one? Or did anyone attend Outdshoorn infantry school during 1990 and 1992 who might remember more than my hubby can?

Thanks.

Charmaine

Hi everyone

We are in the process of applying for our 457 visa. We have a reference number and are working through an agent. We were asked to send in my hubby's discharge papers since he was in infantry school during the period of 1990 to 1991. We managed to send through everything, but now we have been asked to provide more information via a "statement and declaration" form. Certain questions on this form are very difficult to answer. It asks for official ranks and names of all sorts of people that my hubby can't remember. It was so long ago that the only person he remembers is his Major! I was on the internet for hours last night trying to find some answers but it doesn't seem like anyone else has been asked to fill this form in.

Can anyone help me with this one? Or did anyone attend Outdshoorn infantry school during 1990 and 1992 who might remember more than my hubby can?

Thanks.

Charmaine

Charmaine, take a deep breath and relax. The documents you have received now appear to be the normal thing if coming from a country of "conflict" . In other words, there was a war/conflict in and around South Africa and all the Australian Authorities are trying to establish, did the applicant, namely your husband, commit any war crimes.

We did the same, 457,PR, and then Citizenship. Both my wife and I received the big package when we applied for citizenship. I served in the Rhodesian Army from 1975 to 1980 so you can imagine how many "detailed" records I still had.

Just answer the questions honestly and if you don't remember, just put that down.I included an sworn statement that my military service was compulsory and due to the time passed, I did not recall a lot of details.

They then send these documents to "special agencies" to have verified. It does not appear to be a big deal, just more paper work.

The upside we found, as you get closer to citizenship, so the paper work required becomes less - but not the costs of course !!!!

Thank you so much for your reply!!! I really am literally taking a deep breathe of relief. I was so worried about it! I felt sick to my stomach and have barely been able to focus on anything else all week! So, you can see how much I appreciate your response.

Greg did exactly what you told us to do and we can once again try to get on with life and be excited about the whole process.

Kind Regards

Charmaine

Archived