Is It Hard To Get A Good Java Dev Job In Sydney?

SaBuck

I moved to Sydney 18 months ago after getting permanent residence. I was fortunate enough to get a job maintaining a website within the first week. Although I knew it was not a nice work environment and the job was unchallenging, I thought of it just as a short-term step - getting a foot in the door. Since then I have interviewed at more than 18 companies and been unsuccessful, despite getting to the 3rd or 4th stage with some companies. Some of the feedback has been that my Java skills are not senior enough for the position, or that I am not a "cultural fit". I never had a problem getting jobs in SA - my skills were always in demand. My last job was as a Technical Team Lead at Discovery Invest. This seems to count for nothing here - they cannot seem to relate to a position held in a foreign company. The interviews here are very tough - they ask very in-depth technical questions and no matter how hard I try to prepare for the interview, they always manage to find some tricky questions. They are not interested in the fact that I have 3 Java certifications - they want me to prove on the spot that I know everything they require. They seem to be very anal about having all the skills for a job. There is no consideration of that fact that one may be able to learn something quickly. Is the Sydney Java job market just very competitive? Is it any easier in other cities? I have considered trying my luck in Brisbane or Canberra, but I don't really want to uproot my family again and my wife has just got a job here. Has anybody else experienced a similar problem securing a good Java (or other software development) job in Sydney or other Australian cities? I would be interested to here about your experiences.

Hi SaBuck,

Firstly, I don't work with Java and I am still based in RSA. But I Do have a bit of experience working around the world (incl. Aus).

I went to a meeting in Aus as a "fly on the wall". By the next meeting, our customers director had figured out I was "the brains" and treated me like a very senior person. That director has a business background, not a software one.

But, I worked with another company's development manager (not based in Aus or RSA) and he kept asking me stupid questions to see if I was worth my salt. Yet, he has dozens of developers working under him.

So, how did I make two vastly different impressions?

Well, the business man has three MBAs... he works for a very up and coming company in Aus. So, he clearly is very good at what he does. The development manager bought into a start-up when it was starting out, so they give him a senior post. So don't judge someone by their title.

So, don't loose hope! You are being rejected because the companies are following the unwritten rules. But you might just run into someone who is good enough at what they do to see your potential.

From what I understand, the Auzzie hiring algorithm for programmers is something like:

def should_hire(person)

if person.availability == "asap":

if person.has_required_experience and person.experience_in_correct_industry and person.experience_is_local:

if person.techical_test_result == person.qualifications:

return True

else:

return False

So when they say your java skills are not senior enough... they are worried about your qualifications. They are probably hiring less qualified people to do the jobs (and paying them less). So, what they really meant was "we can't prove that paying you extra for your qualifications is worth it".

Secondly, your South African experience may genuinely be useless. I don't know the investment industry, but I know that 10 years of Pastel in South Africa helps little when Australia uses MYOB.

Lastly, Auzzies seldom give out manager positions to foreigners. You are obviously applying for a management/team lead role.

So, I would lower your expectations, but get a job in the right industry. Then prove yourself! Win a company award, get a recommendation from someone in the right industry, etc...

But, remember to be VERY clear that you are lowering your expectations to learn the Auzzie investment industry, because that's what you need to do to get back to management level one day.

Cheers

def should_hire(person)

if person.availability == "asap":

if person.has_required_experience and person.experience_in_correct_industry and person.experience_is_local:

if person.techical_test_result == person.qualifications:

return True

else:

return False

:ilikeit: :ilikeit: :ilikeit: :ilikeit: :ilikeit: :ilikeit: :ilikeit: :ilikeit: :ilikeit:

Archived