Orthodontis (braces)

Odin

Is there anyone out there who took a child with braces over? How does the payment work, and how much is the monthly checkups? We won't have medicare, we are going over with a temporary 475 visa and will have to go the private medical route. We are going to Adelaide.

Medicare doesn't pay for it!You hardly get money back from medical fund....about $400/year........my son's was $5600.this was the amount given when he started,luckily we could pay it off. ..included all visits,braces etc........don't know how it will work in your case though......

OMG! We too need braces for our daughter....faint!! Yip, around 5/6 Grand :o I'm thinking, cheaper to fly her to SA

and have them done there.....as we paid R12 000 for our son's braces a few years ago in Cape Town.

DD will just have to be happy with chicken wire and a pair of pliers to do the job. DIY braces. :P

Good luck to ya all regarding this insanely priced procedure. A lot of us parents in the same boat.

E

Thanks for your replies. My daughter is getting her braces next week here in South Africa and luckily the medical aid covers most of it, R15 900,00. (just for the braces, no aftercare) We decided to do it this way because medical aid covers most of it but for the long run we still need a good orthodontist on that side. Could you recommend someone in Adelaide, then I can contact them to find out how much it would be more or less. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks for your replies. My daughter is getting her braces next week here in South Africa and luckily the medical aid covers most of it, R15 900,00. (just for the braces, no aftercare) We decided to do it this way because medical aid covers most of it but for the long run we still need a good orthodontist on that side. Could you recommend someone in Adelaide, then I can contact them to find out how much it would be more or less. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I stand to be corrected, but there are not too many orthodontists in Australia (Perth) that are happy to take on patients with existing braces, different technology. They make their money from the whole package deal which is the braces and all the consultations throughout the period that the braces are on. So I don't think you would be saving too much money as the consultations/adjustments will be very expensive. Hope somebody with experience can tell us of their experience.

Archived