Leaving Tomorrow To Check Out "new Home"

jdb

Hi there!

I'm leaving tomorrow for Brisbane to meet up with my husband (already there for other business with current employer) then off to Mount Isa is Queensland to check out the place. My husband had a telephonic interview with the sponsoring company two weeks ago and was successful. Now he only has to pass the on site medical and meet the team... mean while I'll be taken on a tour through town and shown the houses and schools. Leaving two boys behind with family, as the trip is going to be super exhausting! We fly back on Wednesday - hopefully to start selling our house and packing our stuff! For now I asume we'll be going over on a 457 visa, but with Mount Isa being so remote, it might even be a RSMS/ENS visa.... will have to wait and see. Childrens unabridged birth certificates will be delivered end of next week (spent a small fortune on getting those through an agent, as the home affairs is a nightmare!) and had police clearance done on 1 Nov.(will probably wait untill mid Dec. for those).

Wish us good luck!

Hi there!

I'm leaving tomorrow for Brisbane to meet up with my husband (already there for other business with current employer) then off to Mount Isa is Queensland to check out the place. My husband had a telephonic interview with the sponsoring company two weeks ago and was successful. Now he only has to pass the on site medical and meet the team... mean while I'll be taken on a tour through town and shown the houses and schools. Leaving two boys behind with family, as the trip is going to be super exhausting! We fly back on Wednesday - hopefully to start selling our house and packing our stuff! For now I asume we'll be going over on a 457 visa, but with Mount Isa being so remote, it might even be a RSMS/ENS visa.... will have to wait and see. Childrens unabridged birth certificates will be delivered end of next week (spent a small fortune on getting those through an agent, as the home affairs is a nightmare!) and had police clearance done on 1 Nov.(will probably wait untill mid Dec. for those).

Wish us good luck!

Hi there!

Wish us good luck!

Good luck and hope you have a great trip.biggrin.gif

That is very exciting! Nice that you could also go check it out first. good luck with it all.

We also spent a fortune on the unabridged certificates earlier in the year when getting EU pasports for the boys.

Look forward to hearing how it goes. :D

Hi all!

Just got back from Oz this morning. What a beautiful country! Went from Brisbane to Mount Isa, where we spent two days checking out the place. Fantastic place for family! Friendly mining community with a whole mixture of nationalities... A true rainbow town. Plenty of ex-SA people, who are all very happy there. The info on the internet doesn't do the place any justice - very beautiful in wet season. All went well with final interview and an offer was put on the table. The the final journey begins!

Hope to have that 457 visa ready to leave here end January. Will update the time line as we go along.

Any advice on what to take with and what to leave behind in the move?

My heart is broken in pieces - my husband has decided he wants to stay in SA!! It is a combination of things: fear of giving up everything here (I know we will regain everything and more!), thinking that we won't be happy there (I know all we need is each other), a sudden growth spurt of patriotism....

I was completely devistated when he told me last night that we aren't going.

Who wouldn't want to go for a annual package of 180k and a tranquil setting? Am I the only one seeing that our two sons are the true victoms here? They need to work so much harder now to prove themselves, they might never get into university or we might not be able to afford it....

To all of you husbands and fathers who were brave enough to take a leap of faith for the sake of your kids - I salute you! There is no greater gift you can give them.

Leaving this forum now.... it is too painful to read all the wonderful success stories - my happy ending is not going to happen...

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

He is absolutely selfish now!!!

It's all about your sons...being male in SA means NOTHING!!! Hope you can talk sense into him..we all had our doubts,but being here for 12 years..IT'S WORTH EVERY RISK!!!!

ALL the best!!! :whome:

Edited by eeeecx4

Oh jdb, hope you've stayed long enough to read a few responses ! Your hubby feel pushed. Everything happened just too quick and too easy for comfort. We South Africans are used to things being difficult and only of worth when we struggled to obtain it. You were sponsored, helped, asked to go over, everything too easy for his comfort. Talk to him about it, don't focus on the boys. Focus on why he feels like it and talk about the reality of South Africa and if this is really what he wants his family to endure. Don't pressure him, but listen to his words and give your opinion without emotion. Ask him to maybe ask the company to give him a few more months to adjust. Some people kick back the moment things move with more momentum than what they applied themselves, making them feel out of control of their own life. They feel manipulated. Go and stand at his side, not opposite him that he don't feel you try to convince/push him.

Be strong, pray for him and keep faith.

• Like 1

Oh my word jdb!! :blink:

I hope you manage to talk to your hubby and that he realises that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. We're going over early next year with no work! Wish my hubby had a 180K offer waiting.

You need to chat to him quietly and get him to clearly think about your boys' futures and what he hopes for them.

Thinking of you.

Thank you for all the wonderfull support and prescious advice. I cannot leave this forum because I still have hope and I will keep on praying for this to happen. My heart of hearts tells me that this move is the right thing to do. For me, giving up a life with maids and big houses and flashy cars is the easiest thing to do, because I know we will be better off there.

I will continue to plot my journey on this blog and hopefully I can soon report that my dream is coming true...

Blessings to all of you!

Really hope this works out for you. I can only imagine that to turn down 180k in Aus, your husband must be doing pretty damn well in SA......still, I hope he sees sense, otherwise he's being pretty selfish...

Best of luck!

Glad to keep you company !!! :ilikeit:

Hang in there, don't give in to panic and keep praying for wisdom and peace in yourself. It's a big change. Give it to God and support hubby. Things will happen all in good time !!

• 1 month later...

Hi there

Just a short note from a mans point of view, maybe it will help.I myself faced the same situation 4 years ago that your husband faced. I turned 2 offers down for the following reasons. I was earning a good salary, i enjoyed my work, I had all the toys, I new I was in demand and was offered a extra R10000.00 a month to stay. My wife and I had huge disagreements because of me turning them down, but I thought I was doing the right thing , because I felt that I would be risking my families well-being if I took a chance on what could be versus what is. Only after a close call of my own and a few deaths in the street we lived in did I change my mind and accept the 3rd offer made by the same company. I was offered a 457 and a lot less than your hubbies salary offer, although it was with a very reputable company. Once I had made my mind up it went quick. 3 Months from offer to bums in seats on a Quantas flight. I guess what i am trying to say is that some would consider your husband to be selfish, I think he is just afraid to risk your futures for the unknown. What he needs to be made aware of though, is that all of us men who care about our families feel exactly the same as he did. I can still remember looking at my 14 year old sons face in that plane and thinking to myself," What the hell are you doing". At the age of 40 we came over and started again. Yes it has been hard at times , but it has also been an adventure. We have got our PR 2 days ago and if I could I would like to tell your hubby that it is absolutely worth it. Although I am sure that many people have told him this. The salary he was offered was a very good one in Ozzy terms. I feel comfortable saying that you would live quite comfortably on his salary alone. If he wants to talk to someone about concerns he has , private message me and I will give you my details. I really hope that he changes his mind and that we can see a post that states you guys have arrived.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

It's me again... Well, what a year so far! The last time I was on this site, was on 30 November 2011, when I thought that all hope was gone. So many things have changed since then. In a nutshell: we didn't leave and for about two months I couldn't forgive my husband for not accepting that offer! I had to make peace with the whole situation and accept his discision (no matter how difficult it was - he is my husband)... Unfortunately none of the promises made to him regarding promotions realised and some family members became very ill. Two months ago, something happened that would change everything... he was playing a cricket match for the mine's side and got hit by a cricket ball (through his helmet!) on his right eye - similar Mark Boucher's injury, but much worse! After surgery and alot of rest and prayer, there are minor things that still have to recover, but he can see! God is truely amazing - in many ways!! This experience has made my husband a better person and the day has finally come where he "sees" that moving to Aus is the right thing for us as a family! His CV is out there again with a few agencies and he's applied for a couple of jobs! This time the experience will be so much sweeter because he is 100% determined and motivated!

So to all of you who gave me support last year, thanks! We might finally be on our way - a dream come true! But I thank God for taking us through this journey these past couple of months, because now we will appreciate the blessings to come even more!

A special thanks to you, Alida. Your advice proved true...

Ozzytommy - I saw your posting from January today for the first time. Wish I had read it then, as it is very comforting and genuine! Thanks! You and my husband might have alot in common: fishing, family and 40! :lol:

Will keep posting my story of hope...

• Like 1

I have come to realize that everything that we go through in life happens for a reason, sometimes (in fact most of the time) the reasons only become clear much further down the line. I wish you all the best with your future plans and pray that your hubby will find work soon and things will move as quickly (we all know emigration takes time) and as smoothly as they possibly can. Good luck!

I look forward to reading about your success stories.

Edited by HadEnoughofJuju

After reading all he responses, I have decided to start a new topic called "Doing Life".... that's where I will be giving regular updates of our journey. I will keep on clicking my heals (more than three times) to get where we were destined to be, because I believe that you will receive if you believe! And whatever comes our way, I feel a responsibility to document it for whoever needs assurance, guidance, confirmation, or just a good laugh. We are all created with a healthy sense of adventure, and our's are just beginning...

Will definitely be following that thread. I need inspiration. It's also comforting (not that I wish what some of us have to go through on anyone) that we are not in this thing alone. It's great that we can share our experiences, trials and frustrations with the rest of the forumites. Thanks for being willing to share your journey with us.

What wonderful news for you. I will definitely be following your new topic.

All the very best with the "new" planning :ilikeit:

jdb, I salute you. It was up to you to accept advice, all of us could have given advice till we're blue, it was you deciding to do what you did - so I'm so very, very happy for you that: "This time the experience will be so much sweeter because he is 100% determined and motivated!" Good on you !!! :ilikeit:

I will follow your journal too, even though I'm not on the forum as much as before, as we are in an interim phase in our life, busy with settling in with my mom staying ad infinitum with us since my daddy died - keeping us busy while we wait ... :)