Afrikaans/english Church Near Sydney?

Lavender

Anyone knows whether there are any Afrikaans churches near Sydney?

Hi Lavender

I don't know if there are Afrikaans churches as such but I very often see notices about Afrikaans services at various churches. And depending on which church you join you will probably be surprised at how many South Africans you meet.

I understand your need to go to an Afrikaans church, but we gave it a go years back and found that we actually did not feel very comfortable there for personal reasons. After that, we visited a few English churches in our area and found one close to us where we felt at home and still go to. If you have kids, just remember that this is also where they form friendships and if the churh is near a local school, chanses are that some of their friends form school goes to the same church, which strengthens those new friendships. We give up a lot for our kids to have a new life in Australia and sometimes we have to give up our own needs to "belong" so our kids will have a smoother transition into Australia. This is how we experienced it - it's not the same for everyone.

There is a church in North Ryde called the Reformed Church and they have Afrikaans services on some evenings (they may even have more Afrikaans services now) - I don't have their contact details or address, but you could Google it.

Hope this helps. smile.gif

• 2 years later...

The Roseville Presbyterian Church has many South African members and various Afrikaans Services throughout the year. Check out their website for details.

Yes, the Pres in Roseville does some Afr services. They actually had their church bazaar last Sat and I went to stock up on pannekoek, Hertzoggies.......

ps. Very sweet moment when my 3 year old overheard two ladies behind a counter talk about "die wit olifant tafel". He piped up in a little voice "het julle n regte olifant hier?"

pss. They showed a Afr film at Roseville Cinemas last Wed and Sun. Quite a Afr week round here.

• 1 year later...

Hi Lavendar,

There is a church in Roseville called the Roseville Presbyterian Church which has Afrikaans services every now and then as well as various special services like an Afrikaans Christmas Carol service etc. Many of the members who attend the "normal" english services there are also South African. Here is their website: http://www.roseville.presbyterian.org.au/afrikaans.html

All the best!