Fifo

TamD

Hi There, I have only been in Perth for 2 months, have had to adjust to moving to a new country as well as my husband starting a job where is away. Thank goodness for a fantastic group called FIFO families that is a support group for the families of fly in fly out workers. They have regular meet ups as well as an online forum to discuss the challenges that go along with the fifo lifestyle. Was just wondering if there are any others out there who have fifo partners who may not know about the group cause so far I seem to be the only South African. They have a website and a facebook group and are such a great resource, I think its www.fifofamilies.com.au!!

I had a totally different idea of what "FIFO" stood for ... lol

FIFO = Fly In Fly Out

DIDO + Drive In Drive Out

A lot of miners base themselves in Perth and FIFO.

Here in Moranbah we are having big problems with BMA having launched a successful application to 100% operate a new mine with FIFO workers in mine camp of around 2000 men. It puts enormous strain on our community infrastructure, as they are regarded as non residents, therefore government does not allocate funding in its planning for them. We probably have around 3000 men living in Donga's in this region.

We have a lovely little town, but unfortunately because there is such a shortage of housing the rents are ridiculous. A house is on the market for $3000 rent per week here............ it's just ludicrous.

We are a week in Perth now and my hubby also FIFO. This is our first week without him. The 2 children miss him, but everything is going okey. thanks for the link.

Archived