Suburbs/schools In Canberra?

elleneo

Hello canberries :lol:

My BFF is moving to Canberra one of these days soon and will be doing her LSD trip December/January.

What are the "nice" suburbs to live in? Good primary schools and daycare are a priority and close proximity to the cbd...

Any info on good schools and suburbs much appreciated so I can point them in the right direction...

They are all good, we live on the south side in Isaacs and our kids go to Mawson Primary and Melrose High. Both good schools.

But if you want to live with the other South Africans and have you kids go to school with other South African kids, then you should look north to Gungahlin and send your kids to Amaroo, I hear there are so many Saffer kids there they are thinking of renaming it to Amarula :lol:

You really need to come see for yourself though

Thanks Cramer!!

There was an article the other day about the division between North and South Canberra with the South being the more "established" and the north more "developing" or progressive.

Not sure if that's valid, but made me chuckle :lol:

We will have to go wherever the wind takes us at this point!! Can't be too fussy when you are technically homeless, out of work and raising a child (in a foreign country where you have no work history or network to fall back on :unsure:

All part of the adventure...

M

Hi All,

We too are moving to Canberra next year Jan, and are also wondering what schools are good, there is so much info on the web, but it does not help as much as feet on the ground and people actually having kids there.

I echo Apollo with us being technically homeless and jobless but we are raising 3 kids and need 3 schools or one that goes from Gr R - 12 or 10 and then college.

So please any advice will be helpful, we are looking at settling South as that is probably where will will be able to find a house in our budget. We like the looks of Dunlop, but any suggestions and opinions are welcome.

T

I too will be keeping a close eye on this thread, although people have said that most schools are good.

Apollo and Orion I will be watching all your moves closely as you will be leaving a lot sooner than us......

Any advice given will be greatly appreciated.

Keglin

There are no really bad suburbs maybe one or two you might want to have a good look at the neighbours before signing a lease.

Our kids go to Kingsford Smith which is one of the new "super schools" This is from Kindy to year 10.

The advantage of a new school is that they have all the "mod cons" The kids use smart bords in all class rooms. have access to ipads.

The Library has about 30 computers and also macs which are available to the kids from 8 am and schooll starts at 9:00.

Have strict rules concerning bullying and racism

Amaroo School is the BEST!!!!

I can not say this enough.

About the suburbs.... we live in the North (Gungahlin) and only heard good things about the South.

Good luck with all the decisions.

E

Thanks Cramer!!

There was an article the other day about the division between North and South Canberra with the South being the more "established" and the north more "developing" or progressive.

Not sure if that's valid, but made me chuckle :lol:

We will have to go wherever the wind takes us at this point!! Can't be too fussy when you are technically homeless, out of work and raising a child (in a foreign country where you have no work history or network to fall back on :unsure:

All part of the adventure...

M

Yes that is true, most of the building and new suburbs are in the north but there is a more central new suburb Molonglo that is being developed at the moment.

For some strange reason, the South Africans seem to gravitate towards the north, Gungahlin, even if they work in the south. Don't know why though

elleneo, I remember when arriving I asked the same questions and no one had any answers on the forum. One lady I met from Bruce, told me to put my kids into a Christian based school. Sadly I did not go with this advice and regret it to this day. I have been happy with all my decisions regarding our move to Australia - but my biggest letdown/mistake was schooling. Bear in mind my kids were teenagers when we arrived. They did not go to private schools in SA, but "good" government schools.

For 2 years, I worked in an environment that caters predominantely for youngers and I got to know most of the schools in the ACT - unfortunately it was too late - my daughter did not want to change schools and my son had made friends. My daughter is now doing her year 10 through a CIT access course. Why ? Because the noise in class, disrespect for teachers and school property is something she cannot get used to. She has even filmed on her mobile the goings on in class for me. I also know one of the teachers very well, he is just waiting to get a placement at a private school.

I believe that for junior school, state education is ok - but I would seriously think twice about high school. This is MY OPINION.

Canberrans do seem to stay on their side of the Lake. I dont believe this has anything to do with status, bearing in mind that O'Malley is the most expensive suburb in Canberra and is on the southside. The suburbs in the inner north and inner south are pricey, they are established and have some really lovely homes full of character. Old Canberra. As you move out of these areas, it gets cheaper and houses are newer and more modern looking with less established gardens. Also the higher up the hill your property is the better the neighbours and houses. I have noticed that the lower down the road you are, the flatter the property you are on, the neighbours can be a bit dodgy !! I know, I live on the flat part of town !! Also try looking at the asphalt - it will tell you what goes on in that suburb. :o All suburbs seem to have a mix of housing. Check out the homes and gardens before you move in.

Orion25, you mention staying southside, Dunlop is up North. But if you chose to live south there is a new superschool that has just opened this year - Urumbi - a friends kids go there and they are happy.

Just my 2c.

@Lyn ... Have agree ... My kids are small and we have managed to get them into Brindabella Christian College. Www.bcc.act.edu.au awesome school ... Each grade has two classes with no more then 25 students + it goes up to year 12. There are also a god few saffa's there too.

Everywhere is close to the CBD in Canberra . I live in the north (Harrison) and to drop of my boys at day care and school plus my wife in civic (CBD) takes no more the 40min in rush hour

You really have to be here to see it and believe how AWESOME IT IS ... I stayed in the north when I arrived so I think by dault this is where I have stayed .

I have also just started building in springbank rise ... The block is a massive 454sqm but it will do. Rather be close to Canberra. It is a really nice new suburb.

Canberra looks nothing like google maps and you cannot appreciate the place until you arrive. All in all everywhere is nice some more so then others... Like the north ... ;)

Sorry if I'm a bit off the topic here, but what is this thing that if you buy property in Canberra you buy it on a 99years lease or something like that. So the property is not really yours or what?

Sorry if I'm a bit off the topic here, but what is this thing that if you buy property in Canberra you buy it on a 99years lease or something like that. So the property is not really yours or what?

All land in the ACT is Owned by the Federal/Teriotry Gov and ownership is granted by a Crown lease for a period of 99 years... the same as a lease hold in SA.... land in ACT is not Free hold

Thank you all for the info!

My friends are doing their trip in december and Ill print out this thread for them....their little one will be starting prep when they arrive so school is a priority for them.

IaminACT, you have made me jealous. We would love to build a home. Especially now that we have learnt we cannot do extensions where we were planning to because of a footpath. We need to be 6m away from it. So back to the drawing board. And every metre in Canberra is precious.

I feel the same as you - not keen to move too far out. My hubby is nagging to move to some acerage so the boys can ride their dirt bikes. I have friends in Bywong and Bungundore and their small holdings remind me of SA. They drive to Canberra everyday and one is adament that it takes him the same amount of time to get home as it is to sit in Canberra rush hour traffic.

Yip google does nothing for Canberra, you have to be here to appreciate it. And yip some places are nicer .... like the south :lol:

Hope the building process goes smoothly.

IaminACT, you have made me jealous. We would love to build a home. Especially now that we have learnt we cannot do extensions where we were planning to because of a footpath. We need to be 6m away from it. So back to the drawing board. And every metre in Canberra is precious.

I feel the same as you - not keen to move too far out. My hubby is nagging to move to some acerage so the boys can ride their dirt bikes. I have friends in Bywong and Bungundore and their small holdings remind me of SA. They drive to Canberra everyday and one is adament that it takes him the same amount of time to get home as it is to sit in Canberra rush hour traffic.

Yip google does nothing for Canberra, you have to be here to appreciate it. And yip some places are nicer .... like the south :lol:

Hope the building process goes smoothly.

Hi Lyn,

We cannot wait to join your hubby and boys on their dirt bikes, we are selling ours here as the cost to bring them was not worth it, so if you do not mind too much my hubby will be picking your hubby's brain for a good deal on 3 dirt bikes.

We cannot live without them, thanks too for the school info we like the looks of Kingsford Smith School.

See you soon, hubby leaves in 18 weeks. :blink:

T

Archived