Settling Nicely

K-Vdm

We have had a whirlwind 3 weeks! Wow! Nothing prepares you for the rush to get things done.. We were pushed for time as hubby had to start work only a few days after we arrived (we lost a few days due to the delay with the ash cloud). Then our container was supposed to be here by Monday, thus the big rush for a rental was on... (only to find out the day we moved that it has been delayed and delivery will only be end of July).. :whome:

What a frikkin mission! Yes I knew it would be difficult but it was worse than what I anticipated.. We probably looked at 20 properties! Only 3 were suitable, applied for one - was shortlisted but the owner chose the other couple. Then applied for another 2 and got 1 (the one we actually wanted). The houses are minute.. Like in smaller than what I even imagined. Most of them could barely (if even) fit a king sized bed alone.. Most of them had such small 2nd and 3rd bedrooms that it could only fit a single bed. Areas are something else!!! Fark! We drove past quite a few places where the internet ad shows the most amazing property, but when you do a drive-by the surrounds is so horrible that you just know there is no way in hell that you will live there.. Regardless of how gorgeous that 1 house is... I would suggest to new-comers to drive around A LOT! Before viewing a property, go and drive past it first. Yes you spend a bit more on petrol but saves the dissapointment when you actually go to view...

We are LOVING living in our own little place! It feels like home! It's going to look so awesome with all our own things in here - can't wait!!!!

We have done nothing - zero - ziltch of the touristy things, just haven't had time! But we are in no hurry, have a lifetime of days to get around to it..

After the whole house hunting and moving rush we went out to look for cars.. That also hasn't been so easy but we were successful in purchasing a little red passion wagon (hubby has dubbed it so), and applied for another bigger car. We have decided to not get the bigger car (mileage on it is just too high), and we will start the hunt again...

I have been for my initial antenatal visits to the hospital where I will have baby, had scans and bloods etc - all for mahala! The service has been awesome so far, the hospital so clean and well looked after. All in all a really wonderful experience thus far. I have been classified as having a high risk pregnancy (which is just weird to me), so instead of just seeing midwifes, I now have to always see a gynae. I don't mind - whichever way fancies them :)

We are really loving Adelaide so far - the people all around has been great. Everyone we have met and had dealings with has been really friendly and so helpful! We have such a relaxed way of life now - birds singing outside our window everyday, pretty surrounds, calm, relaxed folk.. Truly a blessing to be here!

I must admit I nearly had a heart attack today - the guy that installed our internet came walking up to the front door. I was expecting him but did not see him approach (I was sitting looking towards the lounge window) and at the last moment just saw this figure opening our security gate standing at the door. I nearly literally shat myself! In RSA if you saw this you KNEW you were in BIG trouble! I would be running to our slamlock gate, securing us inside and pressing the alarm..

The poor guy looked at me strangely and asked if I was ok... I explained to him that I got a huge fright (briefly describing the scenario) to which he just smiled...

So - update is: So far so good! Not missing home (yet).. Reading here and there on a few twitter updates about the happenings back home and it's scary.. Then again I just realize how very lucky and blessed we are to be here..

We are looking forward to what the future has in store for us in this beautiful country. OUR new home :D

Ah Karina,

So good to hear from you, I was beginning to worry. I'm pleased to hear you are settling well and that you now have your own place. It just makes life easier.

Please keep the updates coming and post some pic's for us too please.

Miss you nad keep well.

T

Aww thanks my friend

My FB has been blocked! I am super frustrated with it, mailed their support team for assistance...Hope to have it sorted soon as I would like to update with pics etc...

Soon tho :ilikeit:

Ah Karina,

So good to hear from you, I was beginning to worry. I'm pleased to hear you are settling well and that you now have your own place. It just makes life easier.

Please keep the updates coming and post some pic's for us too please.

Miss you nad keep well.

T

We have had a whirlwind 3 weeks! Wow! Nothing prepares you for the rush to get things done.. We were pushed for time as hubby had to start work only a few days after we arrived (we lost a few days due to the delay with the ash cloud). Then our container was supposed to be here by Monday, thus the big rush for a rental was on... (only to find out the day we moved that it has been delayed and delivery will only be end of July).. :whome:

What a frikkin mission! Yes I knew it would be difficult but it was worse than what I anticipated.. We probably looked at 20 properties! Only 3 were suitable, applied for one - was shortlisted but the owner chose the other couple. Then applied for another 2 and got 1 (the one we actually wanted). The houses are minute.. Like in smaller than what I even imagined. Most of them could barely (if even) fit a king sized bed alone.. Most of them had such small 2nd and 3rd bedrooms that it could only fit a single bed. Areas are something else!!! Fark! We drove past quite a few places where the internet ad shows the most amazing property, but when you do a drive-by the surrounds is so horrible that you just know there is no way in hell that you will live there.. Regardless of how gorgeous that 1 house is... I would suggest to new-comers to drive around A LOT! Before viewing a property, go and drive past it first. Yes you spend a bit more on petrol but saves the dissapointment when you actually go to view...

We are LOVING living in our own little place! It feels like home! It's going to look so awesome with all our own things in here - can't wait!!!!

We have done nothing - zero - ziltch of the touristy things, just haven't had time! But we are in no hurry, have a lifetime of days to get around to it..

After the whole house hunting and moving rush we went out to look for cars.. That also hasn't been so easy but we were successful in purchasing a little red passion wagon (hubby has dubbed it so), and applied for another bigger car. We have decided to not get the bigger car (mileage on it is just too high), and we will start the hunt again...

I have been for my initial antenatal visits to the hospital where I will have baby, had scans and bloods etc - all for mahala! The service has been awesome so far, the hospital so clean and well looked after. All in all a really wonderful experience thus far. I have been classified as having a high risk pregnancy (which is just weird to me), so instead of just seeing midwifes, I now have to always see a gynae. I don't mind - whichever way fancies them :)

We are really loving Adelaide so far - the people all around has been great. Everyone we have met and had dealings with has been really friendly and so helpful! We have such a relaxed way of life now - birds singing outside our window everyday, pretty surrounds, calm, relaxed folk.. Truly a blessing to be here!

I must admit I nearly had a heart attack today - the guy that installed our internet came walking up to the front door. I was expecting him but did not see him approach (I was sitting looking towards the lounge window) and at the last moment just saw this figure opening our security gate standing at the door. I nearly literally shat myself! In RSA if you saw this you KNEW you were in BIG trouble! I would be running to our slamlock gate, securing us inside and pressing the alarm..

The poor guy looked at me strangely and asked if I was ok... I explained to him that I got a huge fright (briefly describing the scenario) to which he just smiled...

So - update is: So far so good! Not missing home (yet).. Reading here and there on a few twitter updates about the happenings back home and it's scary.. Then again I just realize how very lucky and blessed we are to be here..

We are looking forward to what the future has in store for us in this beautiful country. OUR new home :D

Goeie naand aan julle almal

Baie bly om te hoor julle is happy in julle nuwe huise, laat my weet as jy nog 'n telefoon soek, kan plan maak om dit by julle uit te kry. Groete vir Morne en die kinders. Nico

Hi Karina

I am green with envy, but I am so happy for u and your family. I am glad that all went well and that u guys are adjusting so well.

Goeie naand aan julle almal

Baie bly om te hoor julle is happy in julle nuwe huise, laat my weet as jy nog 'n telefoon soek, kan plan maak om dit by julle uit te kry. Groete vir Morne en die kinders. Nico

Dankie Nico - ons het besluit om net 'n internet lyn te vat - MOET deur Telstra gaan en hulle nail ons deur die ore met hulle belaglike pryse! So ja, ons het maar net 'n internet lyn (cable)??? en sal maar die family op Skype bel ens..

Baie dankie hoor! Groete vir julle ook :)

Hi Karina,

Baie welkom!!! Hoop Adelaide is alles waaroor julle gedroom het, en nog meer.

Ons bly in Reynella, suid van die CBD. Laat weet asb waarmee ons kan help. PM my vir ons details.

Weet nie watse tipe kar julle wil koop nie maar ons het so 3 weke terug vir Vici 'n Hyundai Getz gekoop in baie goeie kondisie met min km vir $7990.00 by Paul Middleton Motors op South Rd. Hyundai waarborg en hulle het 'n klomp in voorraad. Laat weet dan stuur ek die details.

Exciting tye julle, geniet dit en laat weet waarmee ons kan help.

Mooi bly,

Neville, Vici en kids

• 3 weeks later...

Ah my friend - you know how awesome it is to have someone I already know here to add to my friends :D

its great having you here and cant wait for baby :D

Archived