Shopping

Olgam

Can anybody tell me which shops in Canberra would be similar to Pick'nPay, Spar, Clicks?

Hi Olgam

I do my shopping at Woden Westfield (www.westfield.com.au/woden) shopping mall. Woolworths (www.woolworths.com.au) here is like Pick 'n Pay - just groceries. There's also a Coles (www.coles.com.au) right opposite. Talk about competition! ;)

Personally, I prefer to get my meat from Woolies as it seems to be a better quality. However, if I have more time to do shopping, I will go to a butcher (in between the Coles & Woolies in the mall) for my fresh meat. It's cheaper and the meat is better quality - you can also order the cuts you want. Also if I have time, I will buy all my chicken from Lenards - also between Coles & Woolies in the same mall. :ilikeit: There is nothing like it in SA! It's a chicken butcher and they get so inventive with their cuts and meals they make up. And they are heaps cheaper than the supermarkets per kilo. (www.lenards.com.au)

Coles and Woolies are always having specials and in competition for customers, so you'll get the hang of shopping at both - each for different things when on special.

Clicks' equivalent here is Priceline (www.priceline.com.au). All the same goodies with a pharmacy attached and also great for those bath hamper gifts. Then there's also Chemist Warehouse (www.chemistwarehouse.com.au). They are extremely cheap and you can usually get prescription medicines at a fraction of the price of the normal chemists. Chemist Warehouse in Woden is across the road from Priceline, Coles & Woolies.

Spar? Hrm.... There isn't really. But we have a Coles just 2 minutes up the road from us in Manuka which I do top up shopping at - bread, milk, etc. Their fresh produce and meat isn't as good as Woolies or I'd do all my shopping there. But it is open 7 days a week from 6am to midnight. Very handy!

You'll also find bakeries everywhere - either Brumbies or Baker's Delight. We have one next to Coles in Manuka and there's also one next to Lenards.

And then there are the Fyshwick Markets. We've only recently discovered them and will be changing our shopping habits as a result. THE best place to get fresh produce, meat and seafood. One of the butchers even makes biltong! :ilikeit: (www.fyshwickfreshfoodmarkets.com.au)

Hope this info helps. Not sure where you're going to be staying, but you can probably find all the same stores at the Belconnen, Gungalin and Tuggeranong malls as well.

I dont think there is anything like Clicks. Therefore in the supermarkets,like Coles and Woolworths, their aisles that sell meds, baby stuff, body stuff, make up, etc. are quite extensive. Interestingly, for me at least, the supermarkets dont sell alcohol. That is normally in a separate shop very close by though. All part of the adventure, dont get too stuck on comparing like for like. You will not go without.

I dont think there is anything like Clicks.

Actually, Priceline (Aus), Boots (UK) and Clicks (SA) all seem to have a similar shop formula - layout, stock offering, pharmacy add-ons, marketing and similar loyalty schemes.

Thank you so much for your input. I really appreciate it.

Can't wait to get there now...

Archived