Teach My Some Aussie Slang....

Meintjies

Thought it would be quite interesting to learn some Aussie slang before arriving......

So, what is the important one's to know?

A petrol station is not called a "garage" here in Adelaide - it's called a Servo.

you will find it all here >

http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html

Jersey = jumper

Robot = traffic lights

Geyser = hot water system

Fly-byes = rewards card

Linen = Manchester

bakkie = ute

And remember when a young lady says ‘ see you later’ she is just saying good bye – it does not actually mean that she wants to see you later :whome:

many things end in 'o

garage = servo

afternoon = arvo

smoke break = smoke'o

and of course there is 'hump day' - this only means it is wednesday (i.e. over the mid-week 'hump' and downhill to the week-end)

you will find it all here >

http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html

Jersey = jumper

Robot = traffic lights

Geyser = hot water system

Fly-byes = rewards card

Linen = Manchester

bakkie = ute

And remember when a young lady says ‘ see you later’ she is just saying good bye – it does not actually mean that she wants to see you later :whome:

many things end in 'o

garage = servo

afternoon = arvo

smoke break = smoke'o

and of course there is 'hump day' - this only means it is wednesday (i.e. over the mid-week 'hump' and downhill to the week-end)

I would think most Saffers would have to be careful with "hump day", just like we need to stop using "rooting for you", Aiyayai, we have a lot to leard a whole new language.

But such exciting times ahead.

T

I would think most Saffers would have to be careful with "hump day", just like we need to stop using "rooting for you", Aiyayai, we have a lot to leard a whole new language.

But such exciting times ahead.

T

I once said I was going for a 'naughty' night out with the boys :holy: - well, we all know that means we gonna 'misbehave' by drinking way toooo much beer - but .... alas - don't eva say that here because 'naughty' is interpreted as 'sex'- as I found out - when I got a very stunned look from the ladies in the office!!! It was interpreted that I was going to a 'house of ill repute' :censored: - eisch !!! :blush-anim-cl:

Could not get my head around the word 'Doona' - Duvet....lol. My son's teenage mates would address a meal as a 'feed' Huh? Made them sound

like some farm animals. That was just teenage slang, but still cool ;)

E

The lists of full of the common slang words which by and large are easy to remember. The ones that need explaining are the sayings. For example, I have heard often, "I am not teaching you to suck eggs."

An electrician is a sparky

There are lots of different beer measures in a pub, a pot, a schooner and a pint

When it comes to NRL, NSWalers are called cockroaches

An esky is a cooler bag

'Stone the flamin crows' as Alf in neighbors would say...apparently an old Aussie saying....

still do not know what this means.... :D but of course, you need the Aussie accent to pull this off..lol!

E

Not necessarily slang, but specially in rural areas you need to make sure what people are talking about when they invite you for tea...

You get morning tea: "koekies en tee" between breakfast and lunch

Afternoon tea: any type of snack between lunch and dinner

Tea/dinner: what SAners call supper

Supper: a snack, usually some sweet dessert type stuff after dinner (tea)

:)

Archived