Counting Down The Weeks...

K-Vdm

We are planning on flying to Adelaide on the 6th of July 2011!

Hubby's provident needs to pay out in the next week or two (that is what they said) and we will then pay for our provisionally booked tickets then. We are really excited!!

Nicolene has offered that we stay with them for the first 2-3 weeks till we can secure a rental and we are forever grateful! This was 1 of my 2 great worries! Finding accommodation that we could actually afford. Thank you again Nix Stix - really appreciate it so so much xxx

Finding a job for hubby has been impossible.. The replies that we have had so far has all been positive with regards to his ability and experience, but the most common excuse is that they want someone with Aussie work experience.. :thumbdown:

Or, the other excuse is that he is more than capable but they need someone NOW and can't wait for him to get to Aus... sigh...

It is a bit disheartnening and worrying but I rely on the fact that so many others have gone before us in the same position and made it work.. Hubby will have to find something the moment we get there just to bring in some dollars and help pay the bills.. The amount of Rands we are bringing is very little and won't last more than 2 months.. :blush:

Our family has started to grieve and it's very difficult to see them in so much pain.. :( It won't get any better and I guess it's part of the process.. We are having a good cry with someone at least once daily now... Hopefully I will be cried out by the time we board the aeroplane :D

Anyway, here I go again blurting out our whole pedigree :lol:

See you guys soon! Can't wait to be in Aus!

Good luck with your last few weeks, we too are leaving soon around the 3 June and i totally understand all the emotions involved, its really hard.

So totally sympathise!

Good Luck!

HI Karina,

I am soooo jealous, but also excited for you and your family, thinking we all started our journey around the same time and now you are on your way and we are still awaiting ACT. Oh well everything in it's time. :whome:

I am so glad you have help from people in Adelaide for the 1st couple of weeks to help you get on your feet. I'm sure hubby will find work as soon as he is there. Keep the faith as it has gotten you so far and will see you through the rest of your journey. :ilikeit:

With regards to friends and family I believe you that it is hard and I don't really want to have to deal with it on my side but know I have no choice. I'm thinking of you daily and will chat again soon.

Enjoy the rest of your time hear to the fullest. :D

T

Good luck to you!! Saying goodbye is the hardest...

I found when we first arrived, I was ok for the first 2 weeks (the honeymoon fase)- then reality set in and the realisation that No, you are not on holiday - this is your new life which you have to build from scratch.... We try to speak to friends and family in SA as much as we can, but it is still hard, especally for our kids.

Please let us know how it goes and just take one day at a time :ilikeit:

K, be firm and dont let anyone go to the airport with you. You will have enough on your plate with sorting out yourselves and navigating the airport, luggage, gates, etc. Say good bye at home. Seriously, dont do it.

I agree With Rozz...we had a friend drop us at the airport and it works much better that way...we didnt want our daughter crying and upset .

Good luck with the final arrangements!!

We are arriving in September and I am also starting to go through the emotional rollercoaster

All our family and friends wants to go to the airport but I am starting to think that it might not be such a good idea.

Also hoping and praying that we will find work quite quickly after arriving, suppose we have to just trust and have faith!!!

It is a big change and quite scary. But I am sure it will be worthit, especially for the kids!

Wow..

Goodluck Karina and I'm sure all will fall into place once you get to Oz.

Good Luck and Welcome

We've all been through the same process. Been in Adelaide almost three years now. It is the thoughest yet best decision you could have made. Without your network of friends here you'll be lost - physically and emotionally. So don't hesitate to ask becuase we all know exactly how overwhelmed and homesick you feel when you get here the first couple of months. Believe one thing though: You're doing the right thing.

Jakes

Karina!

Look at the things that you value the most.

You'll probably find they are the things in life that you have sacrificed the most for, whether it's that new car, the months and months of exercise to lose a few pounds in weight . . . . . whatever!

Looking back, in years to come, you'll find those things in life that were the hardest for you to negotiate, the toughest to get, the prize after that gruelling race . . . . . they are the things that took a lot of sacrifice to get.

A new life in Australia will be a sacrifice.

A new life is not for wimps who still need mum and dad to prop them up like they did when you were 13.

It will be lonely, at times.

A new life will be tough . . . . with all the daily decisions that will come out of it.

. . . . . . but you will be a tougher, a more secure person in yourself.

You'll know that no matter what life throws in your way, you will encounter it, get the better of it and survive.

The Voortrekkers did in 1836. . . . . they trekked off into the "unknown", leaving their old lives behind.

They made a sacrifice that their children and grand-children got the benefit from.

Show the world that you can do the same in 2011.

In 20 years' time your two kids will thank you for going out of your personal comfort zone, leaving all behind, and doing it for their future opportunities, security and happiness.

. . . . . . and remember . . . . . nothing of value comes without a sacrifice.

That is just a fact of life.

What Bob says is the TRUTH!!!!!

You do not immigrate because it is easy......but in the end it worth it!!

We have been here 8 months and when a teacher from school phones to tell you that you have terrific kids (15&13) and they come home from another camp full of stories!!! You know it was the right thing to do.....

Life here is different!!!!

Enjoy your new life!!!!

Thank you so much for all the words of encouragement! It seems life has thrown another surprise our way... We will deal with all we have and get the best we can! :ilikeit:

Hi K,

Good luck with everything. The ride can only get better that's how I looked at things when we left Cape Town.

Just remember to do your paper work as soon as you arrive. It should take you less than 4hrs. Bank first, then get a letter with an address on it.

Medi-care remember to take all passports with you.

Then driver's licence you will have to do the learners test again, once you pass that an instructor to sign you off.

You can p.m. me for an instructor if you like I send quite a lot of guests to him. Can't find his number at the moment or I would put it on the site.

Once again good luck with everything:)

Tamara

Hi,

PM me for my details. We're more than willing to meet you at the airport etc.

Regards,

Neville

Thank you everyone! Much appreciated!

Tamara I will definitely need the number for that instructor!~

Neville, thank you SO much for the offer, but the family we are staying with will be collecting us from the airport :)

You guys are awesome, thanks afain!!! :ilikeit:

• 1 month later...

Hi There K-vdm

If I'm correct you arrived in Adelaide almost a week ago? We wish you all the best with settling in etc.

We are also on our way to Adelaide. Medicals submitted last week and Police clearances submitted today. Our plan is for me to leave mid November and start the job search as well as to look for a place to rent.

Hope all are going well.

Yskas

Archived