New For The Second Time

Wodwik

Having done research about 4 years ago, including an LSD to Brisbane (which we loved) our plans were snookered by the recession. Now, a few years older (and wiser) and with the Oz economy faring better than most, we are again, and more seriously, investigating Oz. This time, however, there is an opportunity of a business in Adelaide. Completetly uncharted territory! To be honest I had to look at a map to see exactly where it is!

Have googled just about everything in the last few weeks. Adelaide Hills looks very appealing To me this are seems similar to a city the size of Pietermarizburg, with Cape weather, set in the farmlands of Stellenbosch. Does this make sense?

The business is just NE of the city centre (Windsor Gardens - so we might see the queen if we're lucky), so should I be looking to live near Crafers (don't see a school there..)or further out at Mt Barker - Is this a 25-minute commute at 6:30/7am? Is a bus or train a viable/cost effective option?

Our circumstances are as follows:

Children (3), eldest is 13 and going to high school (need to find a school that offers cricket, not necessarity private. Any comments on Mt Barker / Heathfield etc are welcome. (Alternatively a club. Aldgate boasts the finest pub in the Hills, so it can't be a bad place)

Other: There seem to be a plethora of mountain bike routes and trails in the greater Adelaide area. This is hugely appealing when the best (safe) option in Joburg is the sewage farm!!

Unlike Brisbane, we don't have family - or even a friend in Adelaide so I'll have to start from scratch, join clubs (great golf courses on google!) and network in the business community from day one.

If the business becomes a reality, I could be in Adelaide within 6 months. In the mean time I will have to answer all the important questions like 'Do I take the dishwasher'.

Wodwik, you need to get "Bob" on your side, he is an Australian on this forum, who probably has an answer to all your questions with regard to Adelaide. I would PM him if I was in your shoes!

Living in the Adelaide Hills and commuting to Windsor Gardens is "do-able"

Crafers is the suburb right on the top of the South Eastern Freeway (the Melbourne road) after leaving the suburbs of Adelaide at the "TollGate".

It's 100 km/hr all the way, three lanes up and three lanes down . . . . carefree.

Mount Barker is another 15 mins drive at 110 km/hr speed winding its way thro the rolling hilly countryside . . . . beautiful.

You only really hit traffic on reaching the suburbs of Adelaide at Glen Osmond, right at the end of the Freeway, but you wouldn't be heading straight towards the city of Adelaide with 95% of the traffic, but rather cutting across the eastern side of the suburbs thro Burnside and other "leafy" spots a few miles until you get to Windsor Gardens in the Main North East Road.

Traffic heading INTO the city in the mornings and OUT of the city in the late afternoon is going to be your main headache and you won't encounter that much, thank goodness as your direction will be across rather than with the flow of traffic in each direction.

I do remember your user name from some time ago.

Hi Wodwik - We have just moved to Brisbane after living in Adelaide for 4 years (we were there on a business visa). I was going to PM you but then I thought my reply might be useful for any other members, so I am putting on the open Forum.

I thought I might be able to help with a couple of things as we have a bit in common. My son is also 13 and loves cricket, I also love the Adelaide Hills, and we bought & sold a business in Holden Hill (which is very close to Windsor Gardens).

Firstly, I would definately not commute from Mt Barker to Windsor Gardens (Sorry Bob). Google tells me it's 40kms. I would also think twice about the commute from Crafers to Windsor Gardens, but it's different strokes for different folks. I know I would not do it. I used to work on the corner of Greenhill & Portrush and live in Urrbrae (this is only 3,6kms), and on a bad day it would take me half an hour at 5.30pm. If there is no traffic it's a breeze. I don't believe all that stuff about the 20 minute city. I think maybe that was valid 20 years ago, or it literally applies to the city & excludes the suburbs! It is possible to drive & park your car at the Stirling bus interchange, and hop on a bus (or 2) but if you are going to be self-employed I take it you might need a vehicle at work.

If you go for that business I would suggest renting until you get a feel for the area/commute. I know this isn't always practical if you don't want to change schools. There are also hills to the North-East of the city (not only South, although South is very pretty), and some nice areas you could consider, depending on your budget. If you are a millionaire (don't we all wish) you can look in Skye & surrounds. If like the rest of us, your budget is more reasonable you can consider any of the suburbs around Linear Park (great if you & your kids like cycling), like Highbury or Athlestone. Athlestone has some stunning places as well as affordable streets. If you like being a bit elevated, don't forget to look in Stonyfell/Wattle Park & surrounds. The funny thing about Adelaide, is that there are hundreds of tiny surburbs, some only a few streets in area. So take a good look on a map when you are househunting, so you don't miss any good ones. I would set up a 'Real Esate alert' on Realestate.com.au. They work quite well & you get emails as soon as a suitable new rental is posted on the net. that way you can see what's out there before you get to Adelaide.

Schools - Rostrevor College is a well-known Private Boy's school out that way, or you can consider Norwood Morialta for Govt. Both I think have a good reputation. You can be guided by the Myschool website although there is obviously much more to a school than what you read on the site. You haven't mentioned what year your child/ren are in but I am assuming the eldest is in year 8? My kids went to Burnside Primary which is Govt School (up to year 7) and we were very happy with them, although the catchment is a bit small, what you save on schoolfees you pay in rent ;)

Cricket - You should also take a look at the Kensington Cricket Club. They offer very reasonable coaching clinics in the school holidays, from the Kensington Oval on The Parade. Your son would have to be quite good to be picked for club, but in the meantime they are all welcome at the clinics, & the schools all seem to have a very good cricket community, with practises twice a week and matches on Saturdays or Sundays (set aside 4 hours :))

I hope I have helped a bit. The rentals in Mt Barker are more reasonable than, say Aldgate, but that is because of the commute. It just depends what you are used to and what you are prepared to do. If you would like to chat more or need any info re: business stuff in Adelaide, please PM me.

Regards, Bronwyn

Hi Bronwyn, that's what I appreciate about this forum - the honesty from people who have paid their 'school fees'. It looks like the Hills might be reserved for weekends. I will look around Athelstone as it looks reasonable.

Our kids are 13(boy),10(girl) and 4(boy) so high school is an important decision, but not necessarily private school.

Thanks for the cricket info- I will definitely get hold of Kensington.

I will PM you separately regarding business in Adelaide.

Regards,Wodwik

No problem - For what it is worth, I asked my husband & he says he would do the commute from Crafers, but not from Mt Barker. He says it is possibly worth the commute because it is so pretty out there. So maybe I am just lazy...:) Good luck with everything.

You don't need to spend much time stuck in traffic if you turn off at Glen Osmond (where the Tollgate is) before reaching the traffic lights, and take the back roads thro to Burnside, where the early morning rush won't be so bad, since it's getting quite far from the city centre.

Yeah, I know what you mean Bron about Adelaide getting busy nowadays. I was at the Feather's pub on the roundabout in Burnside coming out of the Adelaide hills along Greenhill Road. I was surprised at the volume of traffic in the late afternoon compared to years ago. I had to make a dash across the roundabout when there was a one inch gap in the flow! I made it . . . . just.

Having done research about 4 years ago, including an LSD to Brisbane (which we loved) our plans were snookered by the recession. Now, a few years older (and wiser) and with the Oz economy faring better than most, we are again, and more seriously, investigating Oz. This time, however, there is an opportunity of a business in Adelaide. Completetly uncharted territory! To be honest I had to look at a map to see exactly where it is!

Have googled just about everything in the last few weeks. Adelaide Hills looks very appealing To me this are seems similar to a city the size of Pietermarizburg, with Cape weather, set in the farmlands of Stellenbosch. Does this make sense?

The business is just NE of the city centre (Windsor Gardens - so we might see the queen if we're lucky), so should I be looking to live near Crafers (don't see a school there..)or further out at Mt Barker - Is this a 25-minute commute at 6:30/7am? Is a bus or train a viable/cost effective option?

Our circumstances are as follows:

Children (3), eldest is 13 and going to high school (need to find a school that offers cricket, not necessarity private. Any comments on Mt Barker / Heathfield etc are welcome. (Alternatively a club. Aldgate boasts the finest pub in the Hills, so it can't be a bad place)

Other: There seem to be a plethora of mountain bike routes and trails in the greater Adelaide area. This is hugely appealing when the best (safe) option in Joburg is the sewage farm!!

Unlike Brisbane, we don't have family - or even a friend in Adelaide so I'll have to start from scratch, join clubs (great golf courses on google!) and network in the business community from day one.

If the business becomes a reality, I could be in Adelaide within 6 months. In the mean time I will have to answer all the important questions like 'Do I take the dishwasher'.

Hi also looking and google earthing, here is a list of schools

http://www.australianschoolsdirectory.com.au/adelaide-schools.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_schools_in_South_Australia

Hope it helps

Archived