What Dont You Like About Australia

Bevmac

I read a news article today that said the house prices in all major Aus cities (with Perth being the exception) are now so expensive that first time buyers can no longer buy them. So unless you are able to put down a sizable deposit with your South African proceeds you will be renting the rest of your life. :thumbdown:

Very good point, kids love the swivel of the trolleys. :ilikeit:

I feel that Perth is actually more unaffordable than say Brisbane for houses, had some friends buy in Birsbane and they got a decent house for a good price, they also rented for less than what you can in Perth and got a nicer rental.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mmmm..houseprices

people asking me to spell my surname

Unfriendly, clicky and rude south africans ;)

the mayonaise

all in all small things that could never justify a return to Zumaworld.....

I feel that Perth is actually more unaffordable than say Brisbane for houses, had some friends buy in Birsbane and they got a decent house for a good price, they also rented for less than what you can in Perth and got a nicer rental.

Sorry if this is :offtopic: Here is the link to the news article http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/03/28/3175316.htm for houses prices. I know the counter arguement is that interest rates are so slow therefore you should be able to afford more but still the starting price / cheapest house in Mandurah is $350 000

lol@zumaworld.

So far my 'dislikes' are:

N0T actually being a few hrs drive away from my Mom+sis and family-in-law... I still feel that they're just around the corner :(

The time difference between Aus + SA. During the morning here, when I want to sms anyone in SA, I have to check myself and rather email. I know it's cheaper but sitting on the couch sending an sms is quicker + easier than emailing, more spontaneous.

I'm sure I'll dislike the serious humidity in Brisbane, we seem to have missed the height of summer by arriving 1st Feb LOL.

Baby bonus, yes. It's like 'we'll pay y'all to pop out another'... why not pay the people who have only 2, 1 or none for not increasing the carbon load/drain on resources...

The drain-holes in the middle of the bathroom!

'Cardboard' inner walls in the houses - I don't think I'll ever get 100% used to that! It freaks me out thinking that if I trip and bash my elbow against the wall I'll break the wall LOL :whome: I grew up falling against good ol' brick + plaster and getting the dents in my head to prove it!

Is it just me or are the plugs more difficult to pull out of the sockets here than in SA? I always feel like I'm going to rip the socket out of the wall... :ph34r:

Ok that's all I can think of so far... and that's with wracking my brain!

OHHHHHHHH!! One more thing!!!!!! The fact that SA drivers have to do the written + driving test to get their license convertedddddddddd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (now that's a big one!! HAHA)

I didn't indicate that's a Aussie problem only.....it happen anywhere in the world, I have only reacted on the question been asked that's very current of my situation.

The difference between Aussie and SA is that over here it's mutch more acceptable and even the government surport it........needles to refer to all the different grants and handouts....Kids don't need to take on responsibility they have a whole government to surport them.....in africa they don't have that

It's quite obvious about you ,that you don't have any teens and looking at your profile you still have a long way to go..........learning and exploring....Aus

"thanks for the assumption that I have indicated that this is not a worldwide problem but a speciffic Aussie problem"

Been privelege to be in Aus :D

"mooi loop"

RE: Comments about the Baby Bonus

Sorry for quoting the obvious but there is a good reason for it (although I also don't agree with it myself). But just so you know, Australia is a very underpopulated nation and requires people to procreate otherwise they will be forced to increase emmigration quotas. The number of baby boomers who will be retiring in the next decade or two will put a huge burden on the social system and the country needs people to work and pay taxes so that their pensions can be paid and medical costs can be covered.

So its either emigrants or Aussies breeding like rabbits or a bit of both which is currently the status quo.

RE: Comments about cardboard homes

It also freaked me out initially especially as I am petrified of fire and I think these homes burn down in 5 minutes, but hubby says it makes renovating a breeze. Also, you can build a home within two months. What I like about the Aussie homes (the newer ones) is that everything is measured perfectly, tiles are flush (not like in SA) where it is almost impossible to build a brick wall 100% straight. Also, I love the fly screens!

To get back on topic, what don't I like:

- All small creatures bite

- Poppy syndrome

- 10 minute advert breaks

- Amateur TV adverts

- They never choose my lotto numbers - NEVER EVER!

- They never choose my lotto numbers - NEVER EVER!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That has to be the best reason so far!

Brilliant...

Geckos....geckos...geckos....!! :o

Yeah, I know they keep all the other pesky insects away and are harmless...but, they freak me out as they are creepy!!And they are everywhere...have never seen so many in my entire life!!! :blink:

The green frogs that stay inside the toilet bowl rim.................I have one in my work toilet.....saw it right at the end of the day last Friday......tried the whole day Monday to not go to the toilet, eventually had to give up, if that thing jumps on me...I think you will hear me scream wherever you are in Aus....

The green frogs that stay inside the toilet bowl rim.................I have one in my work toilet.....saw it right at the end of the day last Friday......tried the whole day Monday to not go to the toilet, eventually had to give up, if that thing jumps on me...I think you will hear me scream wherever you are in Aus....

:blink: You are joking??? Frogs in the loo, no way!!!! :thumbdown::cry:

As for gecko's i used to live in Durban, so im "kinda" used to them, terrified, but can live with them.....sort of :unsure:

:blink: You are joking??? Frogs in the loo, no way!!!! :thumbdown::cry:

As for gecko's i used to live in Durban, so im "kinda" used to them, terrified, but can live with them.....sort of :unsure:

And they have sticky pads, so that they can stick to the walls- you should see us trying to chase them out. They are green tree frogs- if you have to touch them make sure your hands are wet so you don't damage their skin

Well that's your choice living in an area where planes are flying over, and also your choice living in a state where heat and humidity is high, that's not Australia's fault.

Gosh, there are some real whinges here.

What a load of nonsense, I am still in contact with many friends and family in SA, and there are lots of teenage pregnancies there, also teenage binge drinking parties, these things are NOT only isolated incidents happening in Australia.

I find your comments ridiculous :thumbdown:

Sylvia, the question was "What don't you like about Australia"... I wasn't aware that it should have been appended with "so that somebody can shoot you down". Just because someone mentions something they have experienced as negative does not mean that they hate Australia. What is this obsession with people that we have to be completely in love with everything Australian? I love it here and I don't plan on ever going back to SA but there are things that annoy me here too. Its part of life! Perhaps you didn't mean it as insulting as it came across but I would have felt a little offended by your comments if it was me.

NO!!! Frogs i do not do!! My one son will probably love them but the other like me wont at all, do you get these all over Auz?? :stretcher:

Green tree frogs are an indicator of how clean the area they're living in is.

These guys are cute and the more you have in your garden the better.

Cane toads different story

Funny thing is we don't get gecko's... had them in abundance in RSA, not had one here.

Tree frogs, another story, those we had in South Africa and in great abundance here!

Thankfully they are the one type of frog that doesn't totally repulse me, they are kind of cute! Obviously I live where it is clean... LOL! I had heard they are a good indicator of a healthy garden.

Sylvia, the question was "What don't you like about Australia"... I wasn't aware that it should have been appended with "so that somebody can shoot you down". Just because someone mentions something they have experienced as negative does not mean that they hate Australia. What is this obsession with people that we have to be completely in love with everything Australian? I love it here and I don't plan on ever going back to SA but there are things that annoy me here too. Its part of life! Perhaps you didn't mean it as insulting as it came across but I would have felt a little offended by your comments if it was me.

Well said SANZOZ.......:ilikeit::ilikeit:

Green tree frogs are an indicator of how clean the area they're living in is.

These guys are cute and the more you have in your garden the better.

Cane toads different story

I have a good healthy ecosystem in my garden. The only thing is the cane toads- I know we are supposed to kill them, but I just can't. Cockroaches and maggots are fair game though!

I have a small garden, but have managed to re-create a miniature rainforest type of garden. I also have many palms in pots, so I have moved them so that the tree frogs can jump from their tree onto the palm leaves and then onto the side of the house. They then climb up to a shade net I have anchored to the patio and sit patiently waiting for all the insects that congregate on the patio ceiling. There can be a dozen or more ghecko's on the ceiling too.

I've found 4 different species of frog in my garden, which is pretty good as there are only 12 species that habitat the region.

I love the green tree frogs, but they sure make a mess of my kitchen windows.

Hi

Whinging immigrants :whome:

People who were obviously not happy in there home countries and now complain about there adopted "country".

As a "total package" and in relative terms Australia is a great place to live, work, raise a family ...and play in.

There are obviously many other countries with beautiful cities, beaches, suburbs, houses, schools et al

but hundreds of thousands of people still choose to move to Australia each year :ilikeit:

Once you have Australian citizenship your are welcome to excercise your democratic right to criticise the government and to vote to change the governing party.

Enjoy!

Manny

The frogs are cute, but i wont be handling them, sorry im a real woes :ph34r: when it comes to bugs and creatures :whome:

Frogs on the toilet bowl????? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

NO!!! Frogs i do not do!! My one son will probably love them but the other like me wont at all, do you get these all over Auz?? :stretcher:

Bev move here!!!!! I have not seen a single frog here! :ph34r:

Jordy, where have you been, the CWC has been on for the past month, and Australia and NZ are also out mate, lol!

Jordy, where have you been, the CWC has been on for the past month, and Australia and NZ are also out mate, lol!

When I read that on Facebook it was genuinely the first time I knew the CWC was playing. :blush: I think I spend too much reading this forum and not enought time watching sport on TV :whome:

What the heck is a nanny state? Excuse my ignorance...

What the heck is a nanny state? Excuse my ignorance...

A government perceived as having excessive interest in or control over the welfare of its citizens, especially in the enforcement of extensive public health and safety regulations.

Archived