What Dont You Like About Australia

Bevmac

Without sounding negative, cause im certainly not, i cant wait to get to Auz.

There has to be things people don't enjoy or like about Australia?

Care to share?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without sounding negative, cause im certainly not, i cant wait to get to Auz.

There has to be things people don't enjoy or like about Australia?

Care to share?

[it's different here & things are not the same. However once most people settle down here, they realise that although we were very much spoilt in SA & had acquired tastes, the life we have is so good, it's easy to adapt, so there's not much that we don't like, plus there are plenty of SOuth African shops, so you can always get stuff that we prefer lol. Of course there are exceptions to this & you will always get people who moan & groan.

To be honest I do not like the loo off the laundry!!!!! Most of the Saffas I know that have new houses built do not follow this trend, plus a lot of the newer developments that have upgraded their designs./quote]

We're not there yet, but the only thing I found weird this far, is the corrugated 'walls' used as boundary walls between houses and the sometimes weird layout of the houses - for instance, having the main bedroom next to the front door !

But I guess that is a really minor issue in comparison to the benefits and likeable things down under.

The inefficient and wasteful 3 tier government system.

Australia is a big country but air travel and telecommunications means that it is no longer required.

You will have seen posts about how getting an Australian drivers license differs from state to state. Well the same applies to policing, education, health a lots of other things. Certain laws are also different, a person can be subject to the mental health act in NSW, but be perfectly sane in QLD. Police have to extradite criminals from one state to face justice in another. There are 8 ministers of police, 8 ministers of health, 8 houses of parliament, 6 senates, all in a country of only 22 million. There are 8 bureaucratic machines, all of which waste money. QLD will develop its own bungled Health payroll system, completely independent of NSW's. Then all the different states get into a bun fight amongst each other to decide who gets what share of the tax pie.

This is my pet hate of Australia, any party that has getting rid of the states on its manifesto has my vote.

I dislike swallowing flies on the golf course in summer. It does however seem wife noo amuse my wife no end.

I also dislike..um...er...nope i think thats it... just the flies thing. cant think of anything else...

Spiders, snakes..

I also know a few Saffas who have been here for a long time, over 10 years, and even after all the time spent here they still cannot call Australia 'home'.

After 2 and a half years I honestly cant think of anything, and I am a arachnophobic,fly hating, redhead. I get around these issues by killing all spiders with Mortein spray before they even know what they are going to do next, I have a fly trap at the bottom of the garden and have a range of hats/rashies/beach umbrellas,spf30+ products always at hand.

I truely hope Karma does not include interaction with spiders.

The trolleys.

The "tomorrow's another day" attitude.

The voice recordings when phoning big companies.

The spider webs everywhere! Having to fill your own petrol.

The signals (or lack of them) of cell phones.

It's different, and no, it's not SA 40 years ago! It's different.

There is nothing that I don't like about Australia, it's a wonderful place to live... my life is by far better than it could ever be in SA.

Some people will always find something to complain about, and most of the time, it's small and petty... in my opinion YOU CHOSE AUSTRALIA... AUSTRALIA DID NOT CHOOSE YOU.

Happy to be here :ilikeit:

Those damm silly shopping trolleys... actually just their rear wheels!

I think it would be a good idea to put down a topic of things people dont like in SA.

Xenophobia

It’s a nanny state.

Bad service, tasteless food and the cost of living.

No incentive for anybody to improve their financial situation

A general lack of respect for everybody and everything - I suppose that is why we had to become a nanny state. Imagine the chaos otherwise.

Australians are in general not progressive thinkers. Take for example the nuclear power debate, the lack of infrastructure in some areas and the way that some archaic laws are still in existence. They don’t handle change very well.

The Government’s lack of balls - look at the appalling mess they have made of the refugees in detention issue.

Everything has to be designed around the LCD factor (lowest common denominator).

Barefoot shopping.

Because there aren’t any real ‘day to day survival issues’ to deal with people constantly whinge about nothing - see I’ve been here so long I have become one of them!

I don’t expect anybody to understand but thanks for the opportunity to vent a bit.

I am not trying to put anyone off the place just don’t expect paradise.

Xenophobia

It’s a nanny state.

A general lack of respect for everybody and everything - I suppose that is why we had to become a nanny state. Imagine the chaos otherwise.

Australians are in general not progressive thinkers. Take for example the nuclear power debate, the lack of infrastructure in some areas and the way that some archaic laws are still in existence. They don’t handle change very well.

The Government’s lack of balls - look at the appalling mess they have made of the refugees in detention issue.

Everything has to be designed around the LCD factor (lowest common denominator).

Barefoot shopping.

Because there aren’t any real ‘day to day survival issues’ to deal with people constantly whinge about nothing - see I’ve been here so long I have become one of them!

I don’t expect anybody to understand but thanks for the opportunity to vent a bit.

I think you are a little harsh... I'm surprised you are still living here.

I think the government services are excellent. 100 times better than SA.

I know what you are talking about but we havent experienced this personally as hubby and my daughter have had numerous increases and training opportunities. Also, Aus is big on investment opportunities albeit property, shares, etc. There are always loads of seminars to choose from.

I disagree, I remember thinking when arriving here that in general people are more respectful, sure they dont know how to say please and thank you but they dont push you off the road when driving, drivers respect the rules of the roads, people respect the environment, in SA people abuse water and electricity usage (if I can afford it I will use it attitude), and Aussies 'mateship' is something I still have to get used to.

That situation is due to the large influx of refugees due to the mess the world is in. SA has no control over their refugees - and that leads to your first complaint - xenophobic problems

It's my little bit of paradise! No its not perfect and some things bug me too, but like Sylvia I think you are being a bit harsh.

It's my little bit of paradise! No its not perfect and some things bug me too, but like Sylvia I think you are being a bit harsh.

Yip,

I agree with Veronique, It is my bit of Paradise!! Here is so much more positives than negatives! Some people just tend to focus more on the negatives!!

People with bare feet, mmmm? hardly something to complain about! :whome:

XenophobiaI have not experienced it as yet.

Its a nanny state.Rather that than a corrupt one I feel.

Bad service, tasteless food and the cost of living.I dont know what to say but dont agree.

No incentive for anybody to improve their financial situation. See government structured supers and move on to investment properties/ portfolios?

Australians are in general not progressive thinkers. Take for example the nuclear power debate, the lack of infrastructure in some areas and the way that some archaic laws are still in existence. They dont handle change very well.Yes and no. Recently in my area the road had been widened to accomodate growing levels of traffic I never experienced this in SA or the UK. I will agree on the nuclear power debate though.

The Governments lack of balls - look at the appalling mess they have made of the refugees in detention issue.I agree entirely but it does not affect my day to day living as yet.

Everything has to be designed around the LCD factor (lowest common denominator).[color="#FF0000"]Yet everything works!

Barefoot shopping.It takes all types to make the world go round. To date no one has asked me to take my shoes off.

Because there arent any real day to day survival issues to deal with people constantly whinge about nothing - see Ive been here so long I have become one of them! Duly Noted

I dont expect anybody to understand but thanks for the opportunity to vent a bit. As long as you feel better hey, No Worries

I am not trying to put anyone off the place just dont expect paradise.I never got the brochure that says it is.

People with bare feet, mmmm? hardly something to complain about! :whome:

Rather bare feet than balaclavas and AK47s. :ilikeit:

I also don't like the barefeet but I have seen South Africans walking in the shops in Brisbane with bare feet so I dont think it is just an Aussie thing.

What surprised me when arriving were the people coming to the shops in their nighties and pyjamas. :thumbdown:

I also don't like the barefeet but I have seen South Africans walking in the shops in Brisbane with bare feet so I dont think it is just an Aussie thing.

What surprised me when arriving were the people coming to the shops in their nighties and pyjamas. :thumbdown:

Ha ha ha ha you arent serious, in the shops in their PJ's :blink:

Barefoot in the shops hmmmm and here's me telling my kids they wont be walking around barefoot anymore with all the poisonous spiders and bugs around ha ha ha :whome:

i like the birds but not the spiders

public spaces buts but not congestion

free tv but not the cost of living

the big time difference but daylight savings

all the rules that works

speed limits although necessary

different country different rules new cultures. different food. wooden housing. informative tv. expensive registration. things that work many facets to consider and some rings more true with time and you become accustomed to a different way of living with time you discover things you do like and you always make the choice always 2 sides to the coin

about Australia ....

on the negative ... compared SA .....

NOTHING ..... thumbdown.gif

On the positive ... compared to SA

EVERYTHING .... thumbup.gif

LOVE IT OR LEAVE..... thats my 2 cents ....

Hate the trolleys too.

Also the kids serving in shops, no manners, and before you say anything, I know some have manners but most don't even greet you.

Just my observations..

Sorry to confuse you with logic but this thread is entitled "What don't you like about Australia" not 'how does it compare to South Africa" There are plenty of things I love about Australia but that was not the OP's question now was it? And as for "if you don't like it then leave" that's like saying you should divorce your spouse after more than 20 years of marriage when you dare complain about a few things about him/her that irritate you.

Sorry to confuse you with logic but this thread is entitled "What don't you like about Australia" not 'how does it compare to South Africa" There are plenty of things I love about Australia but that was not the OP's question now was it?

Agreed but after you wrote ... what is there left ...

I don't like it that they take so long to process our visa ... :whome:

Archived