Citizenship timing

NearlyAussie

I thought I'd provide an example of my citizenship application timeline for those of you who may be at this point already. We live in Perth, Western Australia. Timelines may be different in other states.

1. We became eligible for citizenship on 18 January 2011
  2. We submitted our online applications on 23 January 2011
  3. Got all our documents in order, especially the Form 1195, made copies of everything (passport, drivers licence, bank statement, birth certs, marriage certs)
  4. We received our letter acknowledging the application and scheduling the appointment for test on 31 January 2011
  5. Test date was test for 1 February 2011, but because we only got the note on the 31 Jan, we changed it to 4 Feb 2011
  6. Arrived at DIAC centre in Perth about 20 minutes early on 4 February 2011 and waited about 10 minutes in line, then waited another 5 minutes for the "interview" abd paperwork. Did not need all the bloody copies I made, as they just scanned in the originals. Had my photo taken. Got the little card, took the test. Finished it in about 2 minutes flat and got 100%.
  7. Were advised that it would take between 2 and 6 weeks (average is four) to get the letter of approval
  8. Our ceremony will be in City of Joondalup, and we've been advised it will take between 3 and 6 months AFTER the letter arrives to get a ceremony appointment.

Some notes:

• Have everything ready by the time you submit your application. Delays are most often because of incorrect or incomplete paperwork.
  • Its less complicated than Permanent Residency
  • You wont need Police Clearances unless you have a record or other similar issues
  • Children do not need to do the test or attend the appointment, but will need Form 1195 completed
  • Make sure that the person who signs your Form 1195 is a citizen, is on the list of occupations (NOT the same list as the folks who can sign a copy) and that they sign the back of your photo properly - this is checked in front of you.
  • The test is REALLY easy. My 11 year old did the sample test online and passed. Do make sure you read the booklet carefully though.

[*]The test is REALLY easy. My 11 year old did the sample test online and passed. Do make sure you read the booklet carefully though.

Thanks for the really interesting info - we still got plenty time (about 3 years) before we can apply but please can you post the link to the online test?

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1195.pdf

Link to form 1195

Don't forget if you wish to retain your South African citizenship you need to apply, and to be accepted before you become an Australian citizen.

Retention of Citizenship

If you want to formally obtain the citizenship of another country while retaining your South African citizenship, you can apply for retention of your South African citizenship by:

* completing Forms DHA-1664 and DHA-529

* paying the required application fee

Please note: the application must be made and approved before acquisition of the other citizenship, or you will lose your SA citzenship automatically on the date that you have acquired the foreign citizenship.

You can submit the forms to any office of the Department of Home Affairs in South Africa, or any South African embassy, mission or consulate overseas.

Automatic loss of citizenship

Unless you have been granted retention of your South African citizenship prior to acquiring another citizenship, you will lose your South African citizenship automatically if you are 18 years and older and

* have obtained the citizenship of another country by a voluntary and formal act, other than marriage, or

* are serving in the armed forces of another country (where you are also a citizen) and that country is at war with South Africa.

http://www.home-affairs.gov.za/Citizenship.html

Our timeline is just as short.

Applied online hmm 2 weeks ago. Got a phone call to suggest when we can write out test, decided and was sent an email with the details. Writing on the 11 Feb 11 (nice number). Have done a few online tests it seems easy.

Been advised that we should be doing our Ceremony in April, hopefully Anzac day as we've missed Australia day.

What happens if you have South African and British citizenship but want to apply for Australian Citizenship also?

Do you have to "give up" one country . . . hope not!!

The Australian and British (and NZ) governments are happy for people to have dual nationals. Dual means more than one, not two.

I know the RSA gov demands that one apply for permission to have more than a RSA passport and have heard/read they get very, very, very sulky if you apply to have 2 non RSA passports.

I did not apply to retain my RSA citizenship when I became a NZ citizen in the 90's, mainly because I did not know of the requirements. I am therefore, in terms of this legislation no longer and RSA citizen. When I fill out any documentation which asks what nationality I am, I no longer put down South African. I was also not born in RSA, which means I have no right of abode in RSA due to birth either.

But think on these things: If I need to go to RSA there are currently no visa requirements for NZ, Australian or British citizens, admittedly this can change in the future. If I get into trouble in RSA while visiting I can ask for consular assistance from (in my case the Australian, NZ or British governments). They will not give you consular assistance if you are an RSA citizen, unless in an evacuation situation.

If there is a war between Australia, NZ and the UK, I'm in big trouble, some-one will shoot me for treason.

[*]The test is REALLY easy. My 11 year old did the sample test online and passed. Do make sure you read the booklet carefully though.

One of the big things though is the test has to be done in English

At what age would our children be required to sit for the test? Daughter would be 20 and son would be 16 by the time we apply.

At what age would our children be required to sit for the test? Daughter would be 20 and son would be 16 by the time we apply.

As far as I know, but obviously things have changed since I found things out... kids 16 + write a test but I think (memory failing me) different to the normal one, 18 and over is considered an adult.

Kids under 16 automatically get citizenship when their parents do.

Our timeline is moving quite quickly. Did the test on 4 February 2011 as noted above, and got the letter of approval TODAY - 9 February 2011! That's less than a week!

We chose not to apply to RSA for dual citizenship. Its an emotional decision, but we decided that we wanted to let our South African citizenship lapse. Though our children will retain theirs and will be dual citizens. For children under 16, you do not need to apply for permission. However, when they are 18, they can decide for themselves whether they want to retain both.

Yes, the test is only in English. English is a prerequisite. And my 11 year old only did the online sample test because she wanted to - she was very disappointed that she didn't have to! My kids have lived longer in Australia than anywhere else (we've been moving around since 2004), so they are already more Aussie than anything else.

The immigration website is very clear and easy to use, and if you do need to call and check anything, the helpline is very helpful!

My goodness, that's quick! Congrats! :ilikeit:

Does the letter of approval state a date for your ceremony?

Does anyone know if there really are ceremonies on Anzac day?

Cheers

Aneldari

The Approval letter says we'll get a letter from our local council about the ceremony. The best thing is to check with your local council and find out how often they do them.

Hi

Just a quick question: Must the copies of the documents be certified?

Thanks

Aneldari

This is really good and helpful information on this process. Did you do the whole process yourself or did you use an agent?

Reason for asking is that for PR I used an agent (with hefty fees) but was wondering if the citizenship process is also so complicated that I would need an agent to do it fo me.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, I decided to go DIY here and not pay the agent the $3k they asking for the citizenship application.

Archived