SKYPE vreet my geld

Hermanpaw

Hi

Het skype opgestel.

Koop toe prepaid "Pay as you Go" van vodafone ($19 vir 500mb).

Laai op rekenaar en skype 1 keer na RSA. Doen die "video call ding" van rekenaar tot rekenaar.

Na 2 minute kry ek die boodskap "your limit has been reached, please recharge".

Het weer probeer.

Die kaart is regtig leeg.

My vraag: kan dit so duur wees? Almal se dit is goedkoop? Is my skype verkeerd opgestel? Niks ander is "ge-download" gedurende die gesprek nie.

Its impossible that skype used that much bandwidth. Skype uses about 30mb an hour of voice only. Yes much more when used video one way and even much more when doing two way video (not sure of exact figures for video - you could search the skype FAQ).

What is much more likely is that your computer downloaded an update for Windows. Is your windows on automatic download? Read the option ticked carefully - it might say either download automatically and install automatically or it may say "Ask me first before installling" (but it still automatically downloads).

EDIT: If it wasnt windows that auto updated could it be any number of your other programs installed that update - Adobe is real culprit and so is that blerry Java that downloads the entire programm all over again everytime they release a new update.

Talking about that blerry Java .... I got a funny update last night that promptly downloaded system tool 2011 .. a fliipin trojan !!!!

I wasnt charmed , however fixed easily enough.

Hi.

We are on crazy john network. We only pay $15 per month for 1.5gig. Skype definately does not eat our cap like it does yours. There must be something wrong.

Also for anyone out there. I am on a crazy john $49 per month contract and I get to call mobile and landlines and sms for free to anyone in Australia for however long.

Hi

Why do you want to pay for skype from PC to PC.

Dit is heeltemal gratis mos. Waar jy ook al in di wereld is. Daar is niks fout met die klank of video nie.

Al wanneer dit bietjie stadig is, is wanneer een van die persone op dail-up is.

So doen dit die goedkoop manier..

L'mari

Hi

Why do you want to pay for skype from PC to PC.

Dit is heeltemal gratis mos. Waar jy ook al in di wereld is. Daar is niks fout met die klank of video nie.

Al wanneer dit bietjie stadig is, is wanneer een van die persone op dail-up is.

So doen dit die goedkoop manier..

L'mari

In order to use free calls your computer stills consumes bandwidth (which you pay for). The question is why did skype uses so much bandwidth.

In order to use free calls your computer stills consumes bandwidth (which you pay for). The question is why did skype uses so much bandwidth.

Jordy ek wed jou die internet in Australia is so goedkoop dat niemand eers a oog sal knip oor die prys daarvan nie.

Al gebruik dit bandwidth gaan jy nog baie goedkoper kan kommunikeer so as om daarvoor te betaal. Is goedkoper as enige foon kaarte ens.

Ek sal sê, jy moet seker maak dat jou Windows Update en anti-virus updates af is.

Dit gebeur baie dat as jy op die internet gaan dat ander programme updates probeer aflaai omdat die rekenaar wat jy gebruik

nie gereeld op die internet is nie. So kan jy in 'n baie kort tydjie baie badwydte op gebruik.

Dit gebeur baie dat as jy op die internet gaan dat ander programme updates probeer aflaai omdat die rekenaar wat jy gebruik

nie gereeld op die internet is nie. So kan jy in 'n baie kort tydjie baie badwydte op gebruik.

Hi Loutjie

Die rekenaar was seker so 4 maande gelede gebruik op internet. Het na die insident sommer na die plaaslike bilioteek gegaan en op hulle internet ingeskakel. Toe Download die rekenaar dat dit klap. Sommer 'n hele klomp goed. dink dit was dalk die probleem.

Hi Loutjie

Die rekenaar was seker so 4 maande gelede gebruik op internet. Het na die insident sommer na die plaaslike bilioteek gegaan en op hulle internet ingeskakel. Toe Download die rekenaar dat dit klap. Sommer 'n hele klomp goed. dink dit was dalk die probleem.

Is bly dit het gewerk.Dis partykeer moeilik om te sien watter sagteware jou internet wil gebruik. Maar een ding is verseker, ek glo nie skype gaan jou 500Mb in n paar uur uit die sak jaag nie. :whome:

• 1 year later...

In this day and age mucking around with pre-paid and plans with low caps is just a waste of time and money, we live in an Internet hungry society everything works with the Internet, phones, tablet, computers, Apple Tv, Smart Tv you name it.

Way to go is to buy a 250 or 500 gig contract with decent Wifi router and forget about it, all in the household is connected and you know what you pay, no worries.

• Like 2

In this day and age mucking around with pre-paid and plans with low caps is just a waste of time and money, we live in an Internet hungry society everything works with the Internet, phones, tablet, computers, Apple Tv, Smart Tv you name it.

Way to go is to buy a 250 or 500 gig contract with decent Wifi router and forget about it, all in the household is connected and you know what you pay, no worries.

Perfectly said, and it will work out cheaper

I got caught out with that when we went to South Africa last year. Not used to buying gigs or what ever its called, as we have unlimited and uncapped packages at home. Boy, did I get a fright when the updates took place! Had to purchase more gigs at rip off prices :ph34r:

I don't know about anyone else but I'm finding it relatively cheap to keep in touch both in Aus and with people back in SA.

I have the amaysim unlimited plan - which is unlimited everything except for data, which is 4GB but for $39.95 it's not too bad. I do voice Skype calling off my phone on 3G and 4GB is plenty for that.

I also have a Skype subscription for about $16 a month. I get 400 minutes to call SA land lines with so I can keep in touch with all the aunts and uncles and grandparents without worrying too much about it being overly expensive.

I'm staying with people and we share the cost of an uncapped internet thing (I think it's called Vivid Wireless). It's $79 a month and it's completely uncapped - the speeds are usually around 6MBits for those of you that wanna know ;)

If I was living alone I wouldn't even have uncapped internet, I'd just tether my phone and make the most use of the 4GB a month I get from Amaysim.

So in summary - for about $56 a month you can get more than enough credit, data and connectivity to keep in touch. For a bit more you can get uncapped internet so then you're almost unlimited... who would have thought you could be so connected for just $135 a month? In SA we were paying upwards of the equivalent of $380 for the same thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, what's viber? :unsure:

Do you have an Android or iPhone? It's like Skype but I have found the quality of the call to be far superior and use less data than Skype

Ah, I see. This underpaid South-African teacher can only afford a BlackBerry :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

If you get Viber on your BB you will only be able to text on Viber, still free but suggest next time get a smartphone.

iPhone and Samsung are most probably the biggest sellers in Aus

Good luck