Visiting Adelaide

Mara

Hi Bob,

Alistair and I are keen to come too :) Sounds great!

Take care

Dalene & Alistair

You're very welcome to come up for the arvo / evening. . . . . only bring your meat and drinks. I'm sticking a few Bavarian (German) beers in the laundry trough and chucking some ice on top to keep them chilled for a "starters" with anyone coming up, but our meat situation isn't going as well as planned.

We killed one of our beasts to fill our chest freezer up at the beginning of the year, but it's not lasting as long as we'd like, so if I shout everyone 1" T-bones, Ginnie will be having a quiet word with me.

As for any fancy drinks or liqueurs, you can bring anything up you like to help the time go by with a bang.

Bring warm coats too, as we'll fire up a bonfire later on to sit around in the evening, if it's not raining much.

Hi Bob, Ginnie and Mara

We will be there, esky with meat and drinks in hand !

Regards

Cristel

We are so looking forward to the evening, and we will go shopping in the morning, I am sure Bob and Ginnie will point us in the right direction!

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, my friend and sister have arrived, over their jetlag, and excited to visit Adelaide next week. We look forward to our visit with Bob & Ginnie, and so thankful to them for offering us accommodation! It will be great to meet the forum friends and any other South Africans, it is always great to swap "war" stories!

Roll on next week :ilikeit::ilikeit::ilikeit:

Hey guys,

It sounds like fun. I'll be there :)

Right!

I've had a couple of PMs regarding how to get to my place on Saturday afternoon.

Firstly, bring meat, and favourite tipple and the ladies coming might like to bring a salad or sweet along, too.

I'll chuck a few German beers on ice for the thirsty travellers.

I've got a handful of chairs, but depending on how many troops make it here on Saturday, it may not be a bad idea to bring your own seats / chairs along.

Drive along the South Eastern Freeway on the way to Melbourne, turn off at the Mount Barker / Littlehampton / Nairne exit.

As you come off the ramp from the Freeway, you'll go thro traffic lights ("robots" for you troops fresh out from South Africa, as I learnt on my travels there) and turn right, going over the bridge into Mount Barker.

Two sets of traffic lights go through and AFTER the second set of traffic lights, you turn left (You see a Commonwealth Bank) down Gawler Street, the main street thro Mount Barker.

Go past all the old shops, past the Barker Hotel, past the police station (400m), across the roundabout (500m) and a second roundabout where the bus interchange is.

You should see the old "SteamRanger", the old steam trains, and drive over the railway line (800m)

Once you've crossed the railway line, Gawler Street becomes Springs Road heading east towards Mount Barker Springs.

You'll see St. Francis de Salles school (850m) and the graveyard after forking right on the road (900m) and going up a rise in the road.

You'll go past "Waterford" (1.2km) a new housing development on your left, past "Martindale" (1.7km) and the Wetlands (2km)

Coming to Bald Hills Road (2.5km) you go straight across and head due east toward Mount Barker Springs along Springs Road, forking left just before reaching there (5kms).

Going over the creek, you'll skirt round the side of Mount Barker, a big hill on your left, up and down a few rises in the road until you come to Summit Road (7km) on your left.

Go straight ahead.

The road becomes Back Callington Road, having patches of dirt road in between patches of bitumen (tar) road for another 1.8kms.

My place is on the left with the sign written in wood "R & V NORTH" at the entrance.

Drive down the driveway and park on the grass spot by the shed.

SATNAV / G.P.S. co-ordinates are:

S: 35degrees 05.269'

E: 138 degrees 56.477'

See you on Saturday arvo around 3 to 4!

Thank goodness for the GPS co-ordinates !

Hi there,

We can bring a pasta salad (and of course our meat and drinks :)

Looking forward to it!

Dalene and Alistair

Just to let you all know, we arrived safe and sound on

Friday! Look forward to meeting you all.

I would like to officially say thanks to Bob and Ginnie for opening their home to us, their kindness is much appreciated. For those of you that kindly joined us for the barbie tonight, thank you, it was lovely meeting you all. For those who did not manage to make it, sorry I missed you.

I would like to officially say thanks to Bob and Ginnie for opening their home to us, their kindness is much appreciated. For those of you that kindly joined us for the barbie tonight, thank you, it was lovely meeting you all.

Hi Mara

I agree with the thanks to Bob and Ginnie. What a lovely place they have. So lovely and beautifull, and the view...

It was nice meeting you and the rest of the gang.

Was a lovely experience overall. Thanks to everybody that made it so nice and came to the party.

Archived