any events coming up in Perth?

Emille

There you go Emille, and if nobody should turn up, then who cares, you and your wife can have a lovely day out on your own. Believe me it happened to me once or twice in the past where only our immediate friends turned up, and that after everyone was asking for a get together.

well mara if that happens to me there would be nobody arriving as 'I have no immediate friends' in perth!

E

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hi Enrica

thanks for your advice and information. o.k then I will start thinking about what to do and when to do it. perhaps as a first a could arrange a coffee meet-up one saturday morning as the amount of work is less and the risk then if it doesnt succeed is less. and from that arrange something more substantial with the people who has attended that. wonder if south africans are at all keen on something other than a barbecue?! will need your mailing list but will contact you for it once I have my ducks in order. will keep this forum updated.

alternatively i can 're-found' the south african club but i guess there were reasons why its no more - do you have any info on this or who was involved in this?

e

There are 2 coffee mornings per month at Hillarys - called welcome to Perth - every 1 and 3 rd Wednesday of the month. Alternatively, find a venue , usually something were the littlies are not going to be bored, I am sure there are plenty of people that would like to attend.

Regarding my mailing list, I am sorry but I do not give my list out to anyone, no offence intended , but there are some very unscrupulous people out there that use it for personal gain. I am happy to forward any details of a social nature on your behalf.

Regarding the SA Club, I know certain some people that were involved - the Club unfortunetly die a sad death. There were alot of people that were involved on the comittee , . I know of a few people that would be happy in being involved in starting a new club new blood is required , somehow , no one really wants to take the bull by the horns if you know what I mean.

If you need a hand let me know.

Cheers

Enrica

it makes sense although my only interest at the moment is raising my kids and settling in in perth!

e

As soon as you start getting into a routine and doing stuff then they settling part just comes naturally :ilikeit: I was trying so hard in the beginning to meet people and fit in etc and when I forgot all about that and just started enjoying myself by getting involved in things then the settling just happened :ilikeit:

Edited to add that those that have been here quite some time and have made friends etc just dont seem to attend the get togethers, it will mostly be the newer people ( not saying that no one attends who has been here quite some time but its mainly the new arrivals who will attend).

There are 2 coffee mornings per month at Hillarys - called welcome to Perth - every 1 and 3 rd Wednesday of the month. Alternatively, find a venue , usually something were the littlies are not going to be bored, I am sure there are plenty of people that would like to attend.

Regarding my mailing list, I am sorry but I do not give my list out to anyone, no offence intended , but there are some very unscrupulous people out there that use it for personal gain. I am happy to forward any details of a social nature on your behalf.

Regarding the SA Club, I know certain some people that were involved - the Club unfortunetly die a sad death. There were alot of people that were involved on the comittee , . I know of a few people that would be happy in being involved in starting a new club new blood is required , somehow , no one really wants to take the bull by the horns if you know what I mean.

If you need a hand let me know.

Cheers

Enrica

the problem with the 2 'coffee mornings per month' on a wednesday is that unless you dont work you cannot attend that (in other words it excludes 90% men).

In terms of your mailing list, i did not realise that its such a precious thing to have and sure I will ask you to forward whatever arrangements I make. I will certaintly not use it 'for personal gain' (whatever that means)...

Most nations have their 'clubs' - strange that perth doesnt have its SA club. Anyway I wouldnt mind blowing life into it again - but I think having some South African 'business contacts/sponsors' would have to be a component - not just a few families having the odd braai. An opening of the club woudl probably require something like the ceo of BHB billiton or the SA ambassador?!!!!!!!!!! somehow a club seems more 'official' than just a get together which happens in an ad-hoc manner

E

As soon as you start getting into a routine and doing stuff then they settling part just comes naturally :ilikeit: I was trying so hard in the beginning to meet people and fit in etc and when I forgot all about that and just started enjoying myself by getting involved in things then the settling just happened :ilikeit:

Edited to add that those that have been here quite some time and have made friends etc just dont seem to attend the get togethers, it will mostly be the newer people ( not saying that no one attends who has been here quite some time but its mainly the new arrivals who will attend).

thats what I am doing at the moment - just going on with daily life. our main task now is to do househunting which occupies us every weekend. yes I can understand that 'events' are attended by newcomers. I am one of those 'newcomers' and its a bit ironic that I shoudl do the arranging. Perhaps in spite of creating the south african club i should found the 'south african newcomers in perth club' - how does that sound?!

Please let me know if a get together is arranged in Perth (Australia Day???) We'll be in Perth next week and would love to make some new friends.

Please let me know if a get together is arranged in Perth (Australia Day???) We'll be in Perth next week and would love to make some new friends.

Not sure if there is any official get together, but there are tons of activities on the foreshore as part of the Perth Australia Day Skyworks celebrations http://www.cityofperth.wa.gov.au/skyworks/whatson.html

We are going to be picnicing in the afternoon/evening in anticipation on the fireworks display. Originally we were going to be in Kings Park see here on the map http://www.cityofperth.wa.gov.au/skyworks/...ks_2011_map.pdf but might land up on the esplanade as it seems there will be more space.

You are more then welcome to join us if you would like. PM me if you are interested and we can make arrangements to meet up.

Candice

Well oh well, doesn't look like you have had much luck here Emille......, I have a house full of visitors, an extra 4 people, and I am just so busy with everything at the moment, I know that this is just not a good enough excuse, but if you like maybe why don't we just start something now, and see who would like to attend a function, braai or whatever.

If somebody knows how to do the vote thingy and we just have a box for interested and one for not interested, and perhaps put a venue down like Trigg Beach or Burns Beach or something, maybe some interest will come about this.

My family are also new here, came in November and I feel they need to also meet other South Africans in their age group.

Who will do the Vote Boxes for us?

Let's do a vote for which Beach.

Let's set a date.

Let's go from here and just try our best.

Or.....pm me...... :ilikeit:

Hi Emille,

Just how we experienced meeting new people on get-togethers:

We have landed in Perth end Sep 2010. As mentioned in previous posts, the organised coffee meetings are during daytime, and majority of men due to work, are excluded. E.g. Welcome 2 Perth every 2nd Wed at Hillaries; SAfners last Fri at Joondalup Resort. I attend both meetings, and have met up with some very lovely ladies. In addition I have met up with wonderful people I met via the Forum.

Some of the ladies that I have met, would organise a small group BBQ, or picnic at beach/park. As the families are included, they would then meet up during this small group get-togethers. From there onwards you would then be invited to other small group get-togethers as new SAfners arrive, and it just branches out. Later you have a network of friends and acquaintances, from various backgrounds and have a mixture of Afrikaans and English languages when getting together.

What is nice about this, is that the groups are smaller, making it easier to talk to all and get to know them better. As families are involved, your children and better half get same opportunity to connect with people in the group. This is a great way the husbands can meet up with possible friends, or golfing partners, etc.

You don't always connect with all at a get-together. But there is the possibility that you will meet up with families that would turn out to become best friends.

You will notice that most of the get-togethers, the majority of SA shops, and majority of IGA shelves with SA foodies are NOR. When people mention hearing Afrikaans where ever they go, they most probably are also in the northern side of Perth. When you plan a Saturday trip again, visit Sorrento Quays (Hillaries Boat Club), Lakeside Centre (Joondalup) or Mindarie Marina.

When we meet up with friends that stay SOR, we usually get-together at Kings Park - Synergy Parklands or Lottery West Family Park (lots of different playgrounds for the kids) - on a Saturday afternoon or Sunday. That way it is central for all, and both parks have a kiosk if you do not want to pack a picnic basket or BBQ.

Kind Regards

Cornel

Well oh well, doesn't look like you have had much luck here Emille......,

hi kathy at last somebody who understands me :whome:

i have just written a lovely long post and it was deleted by this computer.

I just feel I suppose a bit surprised that I am now in the position as 'newcomer' to actually organise something (its a bit like the sick carrying the healthy?!). what makes me more nervous, is that I am not your typical mr-braai-beer-rugby kind of guy (oh now I have lost 90% of my audience :ilikeit: ). So for me to organise a braai is a bit like ..... I dont know you get the picture. I am not one of those organised braai-people. I am rather mr-cosmopolitan-I-suppose-intellectual - drinking a starbucks coffee chatting away and watching the world past by in an urban environment is more my kind of thing. I do however feel we are basically as south africans in australia (although very lucky, fortunate etc) people-in-excile - I mean who would give up your motherland, your family and friends, make a major financial loss, move down the corporate ladder - basically starting over - if you have the choice?! We were forced into it by crime, by affirmative action, by low-level-psychological war. I am digressing but what I am trying to say is that I have a very deep affection for all other south africans in australia - we are in the same boat and we have gone through the same life-changing-experience. most of us is not fortunate enough like many who have families moving with them to australia or who had people they knew here before they moved. thats why i feel so strongly about making contact, about mingling, about helping each other - even if it means we wont be best friends for life - but we do share the same experience and find ourselves in the same boat/city.

I am in this predicament, I will raise to the expectation and we will rise up and conquer this situation - i agree lets go ahead and firstly find out who would be interested - the number of people will greatly affect what the event will be - I mean if its 10 people what we arrange will be different than 100 people

e

Hi Emille,

Just how we experienced meeting new people on get-togethers:

We have landed in Perth end Sep 2010. As mentioned in previous posts, the organised coffee meetings are during daytime, and majority of men due to work, are excluded. E.g. Welcome 2 Perth every 2nd Wed at Hillaries; SAfners last Fri at Joondalup Resort. I attend both meetings, and have met up with some very lovely ladies. In addition I have met up with wonderful people I met via the Forum.

Some of the ladies that I have met, would organise a small group BBQ, or picnic at beach/park. As the families are included, they would then meet up during this small group get-togethers. From there onwards you would then be invited to other small group get-togethers as new SAfners arrive, and it just branches out. Later you have a network of friends and acquaintances, from various backgrounds and have a mixture of Afrikaans and English languages when getting together.

What is nice about this, is that the groups are smaller, making it easier to talk to all and get to know them better. As families are involved, your children and better half get same opportunity to connect with people in the group. This is a great way the husbands can meet up with possible friends, or golfing partners, etc.

You don't always connect with all at a get-together. But there is the possibility that you will meet up with families that would turn out to become best friends.

You will notice that most of the get-togethers, the majority of SA shops, and majority of IGA shelves with SA foodies are NOR. When people mention hearing Afrikaans where ever they go, they most probably are also in the northern side of Perth. When you plan a Saturday trip again, visit Sorrento Quays (Hillaries Boat Club), Lakeside Centre (Joondalup) or Mindarie Marina.

When we meet up with friends that stay SOR, we usually get-together at Kings Park - Synergy Parklands or Lottery West Family Park (lots of different playgrounds for the kids) - on a Saturday afternoon or Sunday. That way it is central for all, and both parks have a kiosk if you do not want to pack a picnic basket or BBQ.

Kind Regards

Cornel

Cornel

you obviously know your stuff. I wouldnt mind attending one of those coffee meetings - but as you say if you work you are excluded. thanks for your advice and insight i appreciate it.

e

Look forward to seeing what you organise, I am not in the position to say we can definately come I don't always get my requests and often have short notice on when I am going to work but if I am off would love to meet others. We live ou East in the Perth hills, have you made it up this far, quite a few South Africans and Zimbabweans here in Kalamunda and a lot of in the school our girls attend. Also lovely views of the city and some lovely homes with bigger block sizes than in the city.

Susan

Look forward to seeing what you organise, I am not in the position to say we can definately come I don't always get my requests and often have short notice on when I am going to work but if I am off would love to meet others. We live ou East in the Perth hills, have you made it up this far, quite a few South Africans and Zimbabweans here in Kalamunda and a lot of in the school our girls attend. Also lovely views of the city and some lovely homes with bigger block sizes than in the city.

Susan

no susan but i have heard its lovely. i will still explore the whole city and surrounding areas. I see kalamunda similar as hahndorf near adelaide - have you been?

hopefully we will meet soon Susan

E

No, we had never left South Africa till we flew over, first time we ever used our passports and when we arrived here have been busy building a life and investing in our future so we haven't travelled, we felt this was similar in feel to the old Hillcrest area near Durban, if you drive a few minutes you find Carmel suburb and there are large properties, a of the owners keep farm animals and have arious fruit trees, it is lovely to drive around in Spring and see all the new buds and flowers.

Yes hopefully we meet soon.

Susan

Emille I will just give you a bit of background about our situation when we landed and why the RSA meet ups just did not work for us personally.... firstly hubby and I dont have children so we dont have much in common with many families that come over and most families with kids want to be friends with other families with kids if you know what I mean? And I fully understand it. Also what you have to remember is the more you only stick together with RSA people the less likely you are to become friends with ozzies, and many south africans live here quite comfortably only being friends with saffers and that works for them. For me I want to be friends with a range of people and there are great, wonderful people out there who you will have stuff in common with. I find the aussies friendly and the kiwi's even friendlier. We have one RSA couple who we are good friends with and i met them in Durban before we left, all my other good friends I met through sports clubs, that way you know you have something in common. But its early days for you and I remember 2 years ago being in your shoes, its not easy :ilikeit:

Hello julle,

Kan julle my ok laat weet van enige braai of bier drink goed wat op kom?

Wie het bakkies? Kom ons reel 'n off road trip of iets

this will have to wait a little as all i do at the moment is househunting

Fully understandable, took us about 8 or 9 months to join a club after we settled as we had a lot to do etc.

Each to his own about how we embrace our new life .... if it makes you feel more comfortable by wanting to bond with expat Saffas, or by wanting to shed the old and on with the new, then so be it.

Don't be despondent, not sure where you are from in SA, but over there, even moving to another town was not always a walk in the park, so a move across the ocean ......... but there are Saffas that welcome newbies with open arms. There is a Facebook group, South African & Kiwi Expats ..... they are having a picnic @ Kings Park on 12th Feb. There are also a few other things happening with other groups - PM me for further details.

Emille, some people are just clowns, just smile and wave at them!
Hello julle,

Nee hel Jaques, met die mense gaan jy nie regkom met sulke goed nie.......hulle reken ons mense wat weet hoe om te leef is clowns!

Ek het jou ander post ook gemis Saterdag, het hom eers vandag gesien.

Laat weet wanneer jy wil Braai of 4X4 ry, dan reel ons ietsie. :ilikeit:

Cheers,

Hey Emille,

There is a braai coming up on the 12th February at Kings Park, one of the groups that I belong to on Face Book, they are called "South Africans and ex Kiwi's in Perth", if you are on Face Book have a look....... ;) Let me know...

Hello julle,

HaHa...ek is seker as my man dit lees spring hy op en af met sy finger in die lug soos 'n seuntjie wat die vraag gehoor het; 'Wie will roomys he?' :P

Hey Emille,

There is a braai coming up on the 12th February at Kings Park, one of the groups that I belong to on Face Book, they are called "South Africans and ex Kiwi's in Perth", if you are on Face Book have a look....... :ilikeit: Let me know...

Thanks for letting me know. however see earlier post my full time job weekends now is househunting

E

Archived