Can lawyers find work in AUS?

Dewald34

I am a SA qualified lawyer with a Bachelor in Law as well as a LLM in International Corporate Finance Law, which I obtained while in the UK. I applied to numerious law firms in AUS for work but everyone replies with the same answer: "Thank you for your CV...Unfortunately.." I understand that law differs from country to country but surely there must be some SA lawyers in AUS that can help me with this. My family and I am desperate to immigrate, but law is also no longers on the SOL. Any chance of anyone knowing anybody that can assist? I will do any type of work, just to get there!!!!!

Hi Dewald34,

try contacting SD_MOA on the forum he is a migration agent, maybe he can give you some ideas. You can also e-mail him direct Stephen Dickson stephen@migrateaus.com.au.

Hope this helps, good luck and welcome to the forum.

Orion25

Dewald, there is a conversion course that you have to do in order to practice law in Australia. I am under the impression that it can be done whilst in South Africa, I sincerely hope that one of the lawyers on this website will be able to give you more information.

Dewald, contact the "Council of Legal Education" you do a skills assessment through them and they will give you a letter stating exactly what courses and/or subjects you have to do in order to qualify for admission in the state of your choice ( I got lucky, needed to do aussie "law school" (college of law) and 4 Uni subjects) The assessment takes 6 weeks but is well worth the wait..you NEED that letter if you want to enrol in conversion courses...it will also ensure you do the right subjects, and should you have PR by then that you can get FEE HELP (a gov loan) for your "bridging courses" as they call it here.

As far as "getting work" here..yes, I have a few friends that got transferred here (they worked at large firms in South Africa) then they work here as BA's permanently or while they get admitted here.

Good luck! I dont mind receiving PM's :lol:

Dewald, contact the "Council of Legal Education" you do a skills assessment through them and they will give you a letter stating exactly what courses and/or subjects you have to do in order to qualify for admission in the state of your choice ( I got lucky, needed to do aussie "law school" (college of law) and 4 Uni subjects) The assessment takes 6 weeks but is well worth the wait..you NEED that letter if you want to enrol in conversion courses...it will also ensure you do the right subjects, and should you have PR by then that you can get FEE HELP (a gov loan) for your "bridging courses" as they call it here.

As far as "getting work" here..yes, I have a few friends that got transferred here (they worked at large firms in South Africa) then they work here as BA's permanently or while they get admitted here.

Good luck! I dont mind receiving PM's :)

A great thank you for the help. I've already forwarded my qualifications to the NSW Law Society for assessment. From whatI've heard, South African Lawyers must do approximately 3 Uni subjects for the academic certificate and 2 subjects for the practical certificate. The problem I'm facing is this.... after completion of the courses and being admitted as a lawyer, how on earth will I be able to immigrate? Lawyers are no longer on the SOL. Seems the only way is to find an employer willing to sponsor me, but will it be possible? Will firms invest in someone from another jurisdiction and country? :lol:

Hi Dewald34,

try contacting SD_MOA on the forum he is a migration agent, maybe he can give you some ideas. You can also e-mail him direct Stephen Dickson stephen@migrateaus.com.au.

Hope this helps, good luck and welcome to the forum.

Orion25

Thanks! I will surely be in contact with him.

Archived