(Legal) workplace training

elleneo

Hi all, well ive passed College of law and am looking to do my 75 days workplace training at a small to medium-tier firm and ideally in melbourne cbd, north or west (one BIG step closer to being an Aussie lawyer). Im looking to be eligable for admission by October 2011, so would be happy with flexible hours or 3 days a week (negotiable)

Looking forward to your PM's and/or any advice :whome:

Thanks

Natalie

I seem to remember that your aim was to become a prosecutor. Why don't you try to get a placement with the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions or the State Office of Prosecutions? Try ringing their HR sections and ask whether there are any spots available.

yes..long term goal in mind..first step is to get admitted, so still seaking any workplace training to get to that point..public or private sector :ilikeit:

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this one up..also..anyone studying through deakin is welcome to contact me for study-sessions :rolleyes:

Hi Eleneo,

is it articles that you are looking to do?

Bailey

All the best with securing a placement. I believe I ended up getting the job I'm doing now for the most part because I did my legal workshop placement there - gave me a foot in the door ahead of the other applicants. So it is an important step and I hope things work out for you as you would like. Don't take a crummy one out of desperation - the right one will come along if you persevere long enough/ bug someone in HR enough :thumbdown:

Yes Bailyroadrunner...similar to ..they call it "workplace training" one needs to do 75 days to get admitted in Victoria...

Kurkprop..thanks for the good wishes! Im putting the feelers out, still have time so Ill take your advice and wait for the right placement.

• 6 months later...

Hi Ellen and other colleagues

Ellen congrats with your pass an awesome achievement!!

We arrived from Pretoria in January on PR and live in Brisbane. I practiced in Pta & Jhb as Attorney for around 23 years (jip I know what you think!)and need to do my conversion. I had a look at a friend's exemption application who was with the Pta Bar and realize that it is not exactly your ordinary CV or resume. Thing is, I hardly remember what i did yesterday let alone 20 years ago? (Any examples of exemption applications or web sites where to find it will be appreciated)

Honestly I need some advice from you guys whose been through it for eg there are rumors that one should rather do the process in the NSW Exemption and Legal Prof Admission Board's jurisdiction and through a Law College in Sydney as their exemption requirements are less strict than those set by the Qld's Legal Prof Admission Board. Any comments and advice to this will be welcome!

What I could gather, South African's need to do at least Equity & Trusts, Property and maybe Constitutional law depending on study and experience in these fields of law. Can you tell me what the position is.

Well..when I submitted my cv and academic details to COLE in 2009, the said I have to do the PLT and admin law, equity &trusts and Property law (got lucky I suppose that I didnt need to do constitutional)...sadly they split property law and land law into 2 subjects..so i still have land law to write in October...I did my 15 week full-time "law school" last year ..and 3 of the subjects in june...last one I write in october..so now im job hunting (have a few interviews lined up and confident Ill get something...hoping to be admitted november-ish)

Baily...yes it is "articles" but only 75 days worth as I already completed the aussie version of "law school" through the college of law in 2010...if you dont choose to do that you can do 1 year as a "trainee" although this is a rarity nowadays...

Dirk..I didnt do an exemption application as I practiced very briefly (about a year) in south africa and then moved to oz..my application for a "directive" as to what I need to do to be eligible for admission in Oz consisted of an affidavit setting out my educational and personal history as well as academic records, list of textbooks and full curriculum from Tukkies, any letters of recommendation and admission certificate etc..

This was for victoria though so double check with the legal body relevnt for your state..for Qld..the "Qld legal practitioner's admission board"..check the colege of law website...under "lawyers crossing boarders) I think with your experience you will be able to dodge some of the PLT coursework components..although this has given me a lot of confidence in terms of "aussie" legal knowledge...

good luck!

P.s..thanks for the congrats!..its hard work but worth it in the end xx

Archived