Annual Gidgegannup Show - 30 Oct 2010

Almost Aussie

These country town shows, held yearly, are a favourite of many older Australians who go from year to year to enjoy the atmosphere of a country town and what the whole district has to offer.

Usually, there are ice cream stalls and maybe camel or donkey rides for the kids, a merry-go-round for the toddlers and so on, as well as all the animal pens and cattle stalls holding the different stock that has come in from surrounding farms to be judged over the course of the weekend.

You'll find chickens, ducks, goats, sheep, cows & bulls . . . . everything coming off the farm . . . there for the kids to enjoy.

I still remember my two daughters were 6 & 8 at the time I took them to a show. We came off a small holding in Tasmania where we had sheep, chickens and a cow and goat to milk daily. This was the background where they had grown up and we all shifted to the suburbs of Adelaide for a couple of years.

When they went into the cow shed to see all the 20 or so cows all tethered there, they hadn't been near a cow for eight months. They just rushed up to them and hugged them round their necks while the cows were lying among the straw in their stalls.

I was really surprised to see how much my two daughters had missed the animals which they had grown up with previously.

So . . . . make an outing for the day with the whole family in tow and experience a slice of the "old" Australia, the real Australia which is sadly disappearing fast nowadays.

. . . . but that's another story.

Archived