CA coming to Brisbane

jukeboXXX

Hi everyone,

As the title suggests we are on our way to Brisbane arriving on 2 March 2011 (going via Perth for a couple of days :) ), and I would really appreciate any leads or help that anyone could provide in the job hunt!

I have started to (hopefully) build up a "presence" with some of the recruiters in Brisbane, so that when we land I will have a few contacts to 'visit' (With a nice oz cv). However, any opportunity to go before Feb 2011 would obviously receive serious consideration.

Having built the bulk of my career's experience in Financial Services/Banking environments; I would obviously love to continue this in Australia. But I am not necessarily expecting this to realise.

So, any leads/tips/help/positions that you know of.....thanks!

Some links to my profiles:

http://mycareer-headhunter.com.au/people/JacoCrouse

http://za.linkedin.com/pub/jaco-crouse/25/601/1a

Hi Jaco

I am not sure if it is relevant, but have you done the conversion for your CA? Aussies can be quite harsh about requiring "Aussie experience" and without having done the conversion courses, if required, you may have a hard time finding employment at your current level.

Brisbane seems to be the hub for the mining and energy industries. The banking and financial industries seems to be in Sydney.

I agree totally with Mara's comment. Hubby is currently doing the CA conversion studies, but he did manage to find a job without it. He is experienced in the energy industries/sphere.

My 2c worth

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Bri,

Contacted Greg, seems like a very helpful guy. I see he used to be in recruitment!

How's your job hunt going?

Thanks for connecting me, btw! :)

Sure no problem. Yeh he used to run a agency, which why I was a bit hopeful. Pity he's not directly involved in that anymore.

Yeh otherwise I spoke with someone last night who is going to pass my details around and was pretty helpful and gave me a bit of advice, in terms of relearning Australian English. :lol:

Also mentioned that Sydney/Melbourne are generally easier than Brisbane to find jobs, but will see how things go.

Otherwise haven't had much luck, but we will see. I think having a definate arrival date definately helps, which I haven't had before this last week.

Relearning Austrlian English huh??

I've been getting the "sydney/melbourne is much easier" story quite regularly as well. But I'm quite willing to go where ever.

Arrival date helps: It gives definite guidelines (something that you're aiming towards) from your side and being able to show that you are serious and not just "investigating possibilities" is never a bad thing.

Australian English - One of the comments about how we all speak english, but each country has their own phrases/ideas of what it means, so you say something which makes perfect sense to us, but they haven't a clue or otherway round. Like I know saying 'just now' in NZ/Aus means right now. Here it's mean sometime later. Funny things like that.

Anyway I hear you chatting with Stuart tonight. Him and Mandy seem to be really organised and are very nice to deal with.

Good luck.

• 4 months later...

Hi Jaco

I am not sure if it is relevant, but have you done the conversion for your CA? Aussies can be quite harsh about requiring "Aussie experience" and without having done the conversion courses, if required, you may have a hard time finding employment at your current level.

Hi Mara

Can you please explain what you mean by the conversion for your CA? I am also a CA (SA) looking for work in Australia. We are currently living in Canada and I did a reciprocity exam here. My assessment letter for Australia stated that I need further study in Australian law and taxes. Is this all I need or do I need anything else?

Brisbane seems to be the hub for the mining and energy industries. The banking and financial industries seems to be in Sydney.

I agree totally with Mara's comment. Hubby is currently doing the CA conversion studies, but he did manage to find a job without it. He is experienced in the energy industries/sphere.

My 2c worth

Can yu please explain the CA conversion studies, please. I am also a CA (SA) looking for work in Australia and I would like to know what the process is for becoming a CA in Australia.

Your help will be very much appreciated.

Sorry I cannot be of more assistance, as I am not sure what CA's have to do for the conversion. I will leave that for someone with the knowledge, to answer.

On my first day at work here in Oz I met the chairman (? think that's what he is) of the south african chapter of CA's in aus....or something.

But he told me to convert to a Aus CA you have to pay a fee and get a recommendation and that's it! The problem is you have to then pay two membership fees every year. One to SAICA and one to ICAA, not ideal. The only reason to be a member of ICAA is that it allows you to sign financials statements after an audit!

hope that helps, if you want more specifics send me a pm and I'll to find out. :)

Archived