Best place to stay in Sydney area?

Curious George

Hi there

I am doing some homework for migration to OZ, and was looking at possible areas to research on in or around Sydney. Which would you, as an audience reckon is a good central suburb/ area to stay in?

Keep in mind that it needs to be kid-friendly and within easy commuting distance to the major work districts.

I realise that there may be many factors that plays a role in terms of a good area to live in, but a general idea of where to start looking would be a good place to start.

Thanks!

This topic has been discussed in depth on the forum previously. I'm still a bit bias when it comes to telling people what a good area is to live in. We live in the Hills District which consists of Baulkham Hills, Castle Hill, Cherrybrook, Dural, Kellyville, Glenhaven & many more suburbs. It is a fairly easy commute to the city by either bus or car but the nearest train stations would probably be near Pennant Hills. Commuting time would be anything between an hour to hour and a half to Sydney CBD.

There is a large amount of ex pat's on the Northern Beaches - easy commute by bus or ferry to CBD plus very similar lifestyle to SA suburbia

We found St Ives (Upper North Shore) excellent for a number of reasons. Only 20min drive to the closest beach (Mona Vale / Warriewood beaches) via Mona Vale Rd (one of the better "highways" in Sydney), very good public schools (and private schools), great local shopping centre (Woolworths & Franklins), larger properties, reasonably close to Pymble and Gordon train stations (almost all day bus service to Gordon station), good bus service to the CBD approx 40mins (throughout the day) and 3 major shopping centres within 5 to 10km from St Ives (Westfield Chatswood, Westfield Hornsby & Macquarie Centre).

This is the thread on the Hills District:

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=393&st=0

Mostly families settle in the Hills, Northwest or Northern Beaches, although they live happily allover Sydney. Singles and young couples tend to go for city, or the beaches like Manly, Bondi, etc. all the way up to Palm Beach.

Thanks for the information so far everyone. It gives me a good place to start.

Archived