Areas to live in?

K-Vdm

Hi all,

We are looking at SA as a state, will have to decide in the next month or so (depending on the SMP's being released by then).

We were set on WA but hubby works in parts sales in the automotive industry and it seems that there are more work in SA for this than WA..

I have done loads of research on WA and now need to start from scratch on SA..

Please help? I need to see where one could live - we won't have loads of money, so rent should be affordable, preferably a 3x2 - we have 2 girls - 1 is school-going age, currently 7 and other will be ready for Kindy by then, she is will be 2 in January next year..

We would love to be close to the beach, and close to public transport (hubby will most probably use public transport to and from work)

Please give me ideas on areas where we can have a look at that will meet our requirements?

Thanks in advance

K :ilikeit:

Karina speak to Chandi - you're friends on FB right? Im sure she will be able to give you loads of insight on Adelaide and cost of living.

Im hoping at some point to get that side and have a visit with Chands - possibly in Dec, will let you know my impressions of SA then.

I take it you're back from your "holiday", will send you mail soon. x

Karina speak to Chandi - you're friends on FB right? Im sure she will be able to give you loads of insight on Adelaide and cost of living.

Im hoping at some point to get that side and have a visit with Chands - possibly in Dec, will let you know my impressions of SA then.

I take it you're back from your "holiday", will send you mail soon. x

Hiya Jax,

I have been in contact with Chands, BB mess her this morning :ilikeit:

I want to do a bit of research on SA - she said personally they prefer SA to WA (taking into account that they haven't been to WA yet)

BUT I would still like to get ideas/places I can look at with regards to living areas, schools etc..

How have you guys been?

Hi, if you are looking for a suburb close to the beach, with good public transport (tram) and with schools/kindies nearby, I can recommend Glenelg (and the surrounding suburbs). Not to sure how the rental prices will compare to the other areas.

Hope this helps. :ilikeit:

When it comes to sales parts in the car industry, I'd be having a chat with Marius Pretorius, one of the hosts for Adelaide . . . . nice bloke.

Look for him on the username of "Marius".

He manages a section of an automotive manufacturing plant and travels widely overseas for his job. His brother's a former South African policeman who took up an offer of employment with the Western Australian police force about three years back.

This is the bloke you're after. Really helpful and can give you a few tips about Adelaide, the Aussies, migration, etc. He came on a temporary special visa and converted that to a permanent visa about one year in on his stay here.

He can tell you heaps about the auto industry in Adelaide and around Australia, the state of it and how healthy the future prospects are.

When it comes to sales parts in the car industry, I'd be having a chat with Marius Pretorius, one of the hosts for Adelaide . . . . nice bloke.

Look for him on the username of "Marius".

He manages a section of an automotive manufacturing plant and travels widely overseas for his job. His brother's a former South African policeman who took up an offer of employment with the Western Australian police force about three years back.

This is the bloke you're after. Really helpful and can give you a few tips about Adelaide, the Aussies, migration, etc. He came on a temporary special visa and converted that to a permanent visa about one year in on his stay here.

He can tell you heaps about the auto industry in Adelaide and around Australia, the state of it and how healthy the future prospects are.

Bob you are a star!!! Thank you SO much! I will be in contact with Marius today still!

Thank you !!!

Karina,

Looks like you're heading in the right direction. I love Bob's posts always friendly and extremely informative.

T

If your not a city girl try Gippsland - Victoria. Only 2 hours to the CBD so you get the best of both worlds really.

So pretty, so fresh and just awesome :)

Rent will always vary, no matter the state - the closer to the city, the higher the weekly rent amount.

Most of the Automotive Industry is in VIC - Remember reading it on a site somewhere a while back.

My hubby is in automotive and got a job before landing, so i guess there is a need for that trade this way :unsure:

That and the fact that SS to VIC only took us 6 weeks, start to finish :ilikeit:

Take an hour and research VIC, your hour will not be wasted, also check auto industry stats.

Sorry to throw in another option, Good luck

If your not a city girl try Gippsland - Victoria. Only 2 hours to the CBD so you get the best of both worlds really.

So pretty, so fresh and just awesome :)

Rent will always vary, no matter the state - the closer to the city, the higher the weekly rent amount.

Most of the Automotive Industry is in VIC - Remember reading it on a site somewhere a while back.

My hubby is in automotive and got a job before landing, so i guess there is a need for that trade this way :unsure:

That and the fact that SS to VIC only took us 6 weeks, start to finish :ilikeit:

Take an hour and research VIC, your hour will not be wasted, also check auto industry stats.

Sorry to throw in another option, Good luck

Hey there :ilikeit:

As far as I know SA and Vic has the biggest Automotive industries in Aus. Thing is though that Vic is very very picky about who they give sponsors too. My occupation was not on the previous SMP for Vic..

Guess - will wait and see what happens but Marius has given me great advice and loads of info on SA - and it seems we might head that way :ilikeit:

Glenelg (and the surrounding suburbs). Not to sure how the rental prices will compare to the other areas.

Glenelg is very nice but in terms of price it would be more on the expensive side, I think.

We're looking at Athelstone/surrounds. about 12km from the city, but nice tree-lined streets and good views. Surrounded by parks/reserves and not too expensive - a mixture of expensive and relatively affordable.

Apparently the drive to the city isn't as good as the 12km would promise, but I'm planning to ride/run to work on some days, so if you're into that sort of thing it's an option.

Only thing is, I really haven't seen many rentals available - maybe in the surrounding areas though.

I'm not an expert though, we're still researching for a possible move next year - but we have been to Adelaide 8 or 9 times.

Hi,

Pls PM me with your details. I'm more than willing to share our experience re suitable/affordable suburbs with you.

We've managed to secure a fairly affordable rental in Henley Beach, opposite Fulham North Primary.....

Regards,

Neville

Thanks for the info Hansa - is Athelstone more inland? Away from the beach area? Why do you say the drive isn't so nice apparently? Curious to hear the reason :unsure:

Flanker - thank you, have sent you a pm :ilikeit:

Thanks for the info Hansa - is Athelstone more inland? Away from the beach area? Why do you say the drive isn't so nice apparently? Curious to hear the reason :ilikeit:

Sorry! I didn’t read the bit where you said “close to the beachâ€â€¦ :unsure:

Yes, Athelstone is more inland. No, nothing wrong with the drive at all - I meant about the drive was that because there are only a couple of main roads from that area that lead to the city, it takes you a bit longer than a normal 12km drive should take you because of the traffic. It’s an ok drive, and is fine in off-peak, but in peak hour it’s fairly busy. (for Adelaide standards – nothing compared to what we’re used to in Melbourne!)

Thanks for the info Hansa - is Athelstone more inland? Away from the beach area? Why do you say the drive isn't so nice apparently? Curious to hear the reason :unsure:

Flanker - thank you, have sent you a pm :ilikeit:

Athelstone/Rostrevor/Modbury/Highbury/Golden grove/Paradise/Windsor gardens/Holden hill fall under the Tea Tree Gully area. All North-North East from Campbelltown, closer to the mountain than the sea.

There are 2 roads linking these areas with the city. Seen in the newspaper that these 2 roads take the longest travel time compared with the other arterials (close to an hour). Only 2 small lanes while the rest are 3 big lanes.

Rentals in Athelstone are a problem. Hard to come by (few and far between and becoming expensive). Better in the other areas.

South, close to the beach or Semaphore (north on beach) are all good areas.

I drove to areas to the North (the so-called "bad" areas) and was surprised at some of them. Some look really nice.

My 2c.

Herman

Hi KvdM

Contact this woman also.

Her name is Anje Hoy she is from PE. Both her and her husband is in automotive in Adelaide, and they seem to have a large circle of friends in automotive.

ahoy@futurisautomotive.com

Unlike most other cities, Adelaide does not really have highways, which makes traffic a bit of a nightmare on certain routes.

If you live in most of the outlying suburbs, the trek into the city is not a lot of fun, and it eats up petrol.

If you live close to the city, traffic is a breeze. You will be surprised at some of the rentals you can get close to the city. Problem is you can only do it once you are here. You will not likely get a rental from accross the sea.

As most of the autmoitve compaies are in the north, and if you want o be close to good schools, I would suhhest soemthing like Rostrevor or Kensington or surrounds. Very good suburb with amazing schools, and excellent access to most major routes. Rental should also be affrodable, but if you want cheap you gonnna have to drive.

And believe me, I know guys who went for cheaper, further rentals, and they complain about the drive.

With living in the north east suburbs of Adelaide, such as Athelstone, you can catch an express bus to and from the city of Adelaide.

It is a German designed bus track that has special buses running along the track and is called the "O-Bahn".

These buses run on traffic free bus tracks that wind their way along the banks of the River Torrens in places and get up to 100 km/h thro the suburbs.

It takes about 12 minutes to get from Athelstone to the city of Adelaide.

Cost, each way . . . . . about $2.50 (R15) in off-peak times (9:30am to 3:30pm) and $3.80 (R23) in peak rush hour times.

http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/guides/obahn.html

Lots of city commuters actually ride their bikes along the River Torrens Linear Park to and from Adelaide.

http://australia.shopsafe.com.au/south_aus...rives_walks.htm

I've ridden on it heaps of times and its a bike rider's dream . . . . beaut ride, no traffic.

This might be a silly question but please indulge me ;)

Do you have the same problem along the coastal regions that one has here - regarding erosion and rust of everything due to the salty sea air/breeze?

Staying close to the beach seems like the ideal thing to do (especially for us city folk) but is it really ideal? (does that question even make sense) :ilikeit:

Good areas close to the beach in my opinion - Grange, Henley Beach, West Beach, Glenelg North/Glenelg, Brighton, Somerton Park

Expect to pay 50-100AUD more per week, I've also noted that the temperature drops slightly when driving from Glenelg North onwards to Henley beach...good in summer ;)

Further south - Hallet Cove, Aldinga etc are cheaper but 20min drive from CBD (30-40min in peak traffic)

A lot of good areas in Adelaide, best is to drive through them and decide for yourself, very difficult to make a proper decision beforehand in my opinion.

Suburbs are also very different compared to SA. I couldn't differentiate "bad" suburbs from "ok" or "good" suburbs. An example is maybe that you'll find near picture perfect houses with manicured gardens in one street and totally opposite in the next. Houses are generally well kept and you'll have a choice of older more character-filled houses vs modern, open plan houses all in one street or suburb. All depends on your personal taste and preference. We've decide on Henley Beach which is a bit expensive for my liking but the property is basically opposite the primary school, which is convenient for my son. Our friends also live in close by. So you'll have to weigh up the options.

Initially we didn't want to commute that far but it turn out that our kids' childcare is in Old Reynalla (our choice) which is about 21km from Henley Beach, from there another 15km to work every morning but again, it's our choice.......by the way, the traffic in Adelaide is not even close to JHB traffic so traveling is a pleasure.

Regards,

Neville

Thank you so much everyone!!!

I have enough to get me started! I really appreciate all the input!

This might be a silly question but please indulge me ;)

Do you have the same problem along the coastal regions that one has here - regarding erosion and rust of everything due to the salty sea air/breeze?

As far as I’m aware, it’s not really a issue in the South/South East/East (Melbourne, Adelaide, etc). The air is quite dry down here, and Adelaide and Melbourne are similar in terms of weather/climate/humidity (or lack of).

It may be up North/North East where it’s more humid - Queensland, Northern Territory, etc.

havent seen any rust problems this end

come to our end my friend there are a few of us in henley beach side of adelaide, really great area! and the surrounds....and i look forward to an awesome summer with some great company and friends both old and new (old as in since landing lol)

As Adelaide's beaches are nearly all sandy, the only drama Adelaide has is the shifting of sand with the winter storms and tides.

Several beaches have breakwaters every so often to help the washing of sand away, keeping them looking good.

Rust is more of a problem if you live right on the seafront with the salt spray drift in strong winds at times.

This can cause your car to suffer if you don't wash and wax it often. otherwise I don't find too many folk in Adelaide complaining about their cars rusting away faster over the years.

Just be aware that any salt seaspray is damaging to your car's bodywork if the paintwork isn't good to safeguard it well.

Have a look at Hallet Cove. We are not in SA yet, but will be there early 2011 (moving from the UK). Check this wiki article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallett_Cove,_South_Australia

Personally I prefer SA to WA. Better wine lands and he friendliest people in the whole of Aus!

Thanks so much everyone for all the replies and info! SO much appreciated!!

I've got loads to research and check out now! Very excited about making SA our home (hopefully all will go well and we will be able to apply for Sponsorship soon)!! :ilikeit:

• 3 months later...

Hi

When it comes to beach suburbs the best " In my humble opinion" are.........

First choice - Glenelg, Glenelg South, Brighton

Than i would say - West Beach, henley beach

Than Semaphore

Archived