Our adventure begins......

gavinpetoperth

This past week whilst our household goods were being packed and crated, the reality of our move started setting in for the first time. My kids are especially excited, but my wife and I obviously still have lingering concerns - after all, we have made this great decision to move to Australia without ever having set foot there. Talk about a giant leap of faith. Thank goodness for this forum and its members, who have provided excellent advice and many reassurances. That is why we read the negative posts on this forum very carefully, and fortunately the positive posts way supercede the negative.

My new employer in Perth has also done a great job in making the transition smooth for us. Thay have paid for everything, from medicals, to visa applications, air tickets, shipping of our container, to the costs of our first month in a hotel. They have even appointed a consultant to find a house and schools for us, and have given me access to a tax expert for my first six months. That has created a lot of trust from my side and they can be assured of my loyalty. Will be tough though to fit into a large consultancy after having worked on my own for 17 years.

Camping in our empty house is not much fun whilst we wait for our flight to Johannesburg on Tuesday and then on to Perth on Thursday evening. Amazing how the time sped by while trying to organise everthing in time, and how the time now drags by as we wait for our flights. Now that we sit idle, ones mind tends to work overtime, reviewing the pros and cons of the whole move. But at this stage it is too late to get off this runaway train we are on................

G

Wow Gavin, you have it so easy. You are very fortunate. Good for you!

We too had never been to Aus prior to coming. When we arrived it hit us like a ton of bricks. But we were persistant and so made a success of it.

All the best and cant wait for your settling in post.

Hi Gavin,

We came over having never been here, with no job secured and having spent every cent to get us here. It's been almost 8 months and we're settled and enjoying the spring weather. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll settle in soon enough and enjoy the stunning beaches Perth has to offer!

Hi Gavin

We have been in Perth for 8 months now. About two weeks before we left I started having doubts. We all go through it. The first time we saw Australia was when we landed. It has been great so far. The only time I thought "what have I done" was our first night in our temp accom. My family was sound asleep and I could not sleep as it was 42º the day we landed.

We have setteled very well, especially our kids in their schools. That was the most important for us. Perth has a lot to offer and see.We are out every weekend exploring. We are luckly to live near the canning river. my boys are out fishing, riding thier bikes or down at the park. My 9yr old and I have just come back from the river where we went for a cycle. We have started playing squash again.We go in the evenings and it is safe to do so.

I sleep "dead "at night as I dont have to listen if some one is trying to break into our house.I read NEWS 24. COM every day just to remind myself why we left SA.

I had my own business for 10 yrs and now I work for a boss, it is not to bad.

Perth is beautiful and things work here.

Best of luck, Wayne

PS: move SOR

Congrats on the move...

I read you story, see you from PE too.. We also from PE, The same happened to us, in 2008 with sponsorship canceling on us due to economic crisis...

Anyhow, my husband is also again looking for work in Oz. :holy: Hope we can also be so lucky as to get something and it will go so quick

Enjoy!! ;)

This past week whilst our household goods were being packed and crated, the reality of our move started setting in for the first time. My kids are especially excited, but my wife and I obviously still have lingering concerns - after all, we have made this great decision to move to Australia without ever having set foot there. Talk about a giant leap of faith. Thank goodness for this forum and its members, who have provided excellent advice and many reassurances. That is why we read the negative posts on this forum very carefully, and fortunately the positive posts way supercede the negative.

You shouldn't have any doubts or concerns about Perth if you did your homework. We came ove just like you without setting a foot here before. Similar to what you've done, I've relied a lot on the info on the forum, used Google earth to get a feeling for direction and look-and-feel of Perth. It was amazing when the plane came into land and I looked down on Perth with the Google earth images flashing through my mind. It was great to see how close my homework was to actaul life in Perth.

No worries, you'll enjoy it and all the best!

Good luck with the move from a PE girl!

We have spend 2 weeks in Perth and I think it is a lovely place to live in and bring up children.

The first few weeks are busy and some times challenging, but it can be done!

After a few months you settle, but it all will depend on how you see things. Create a new life, opposed to trying to recreate...my 2c worth.

Happy for you about the job and perks that came with it! Well done!! May I ask in what industry you are?

Good luck for your move! I would have struggled to adjust if I had not seen Australia first on a holiday (LSD) - it really helped for me to see what it is like before I moved, to mentally adjust. It is a great country. It's really great that you have what seems like a wonderful employer, as that will definitely help make the settling in easier - the less you have to worry about initially, the better. All the best.

I am sure you will be very happy here - we love it!

I am sure you will be very happy here - we love it!

Thank you all for the reassurances and wishes. See you in Perth soon.

I was told a while a back that I start work on Monday 27 September, but have just heard from another source that Monday is a holiday in WA (Queens birthday or something). Is this true?

G

Thank you all for the reassurances and wishes. See you in Perth soon.

I was told a while a back that I start work on Monday 27 September, but have just heard from another source that Monday is a holiday in WA (Queens birthday or something). Is this true?

G

Yes it is a puplic holiday

Wayne

Is 27 Sept a public holiday in Victoria as well?

No mate, you had the Queens Birthday Public Holiday on 14 June when WA had to work. It's now our turn to rest :D

No mate, you had the Queens Birthday Public Holiday on 14 June when WA had to work. It's now our turn to rest :ilikeit:

Not for me, I work for the University, and we don't get public holidays :hug:

But we do get off between Christmas and New Year, so guess that's good.

Archived