Van: Hallo

Van

Hi Riekie en Deidre en kie,

Ek het uiteindelik my pad gevind tot by julle forum. Dit lyk pragtig! :ilikeit:

Sien julle binnekort dan vertel ek van ons poging-tot-huiskoop sage :blink:

'n Paar eks rainbownationers het my ge-epos en gevra waar's die mense - toe stuur ek hulle hierheen.

Groete,

Van

Hi Van,

Aha - one of my earliest defenders in the other place! Welcome Van - good to see you here :ilikeit:

Welkom, welkom :ilikeit::blink::lol:

Bly om jou gesiggie ook uit eindelik hier te sien man. Weet sommer jy gaan van groot waarde tot die site wees.

Hallo Van!! :ilikeit:

Baie bly jy het die nuwe forum gevind - great dat jy hier is - het al soveel by jou geleer - indirek! Hoop jy gaan dit hier net so baie geniet soos die res van ons!

Liza

Hi Van,

Uiteindelik!!! Ek is so bly jy het jou pad hierheen gevind!

Hoop jy geniet die forum baie!

Groete Pippa!

Hi Van

Jis ek is bly om te sien jy is nou hier.

Jou bydrae op die ander forum was altyd so waardevol.

Baie,baie welkom!

Hi daar Van! Welkom Welkom en sommer nog 'n keer Welkom!! Bly om jou hier te sien!!!

:ilikeit::ilikeit::ilikeit: Ons gaan nog 'n hond uit 'n bos uit kuier!!

Sien uit daarna om van jou huiskoop sage te lees - dit lê nog vir ons ook voor en dalk

kan ons so 'n paar "tips" by jou kry.... :) Die Aussies doen dinge maar anders.....

'bout time you made it to this forum. We were beginning to think you'd lost your way

Aussie Bob

'bout time you made it to this forum. We were beginning to think you'd lost your way

Aussie Bob

Thanks for the warm welcome - it's nice to hear from you all again.

Well, as for our house-saga, what a trip! All I can say is read the fine print and find out what the truth and legal angle is looong, loong before you speak to any real estate agents. To say they almost all speak with forked tongue is an understatement. Also never use a conveyancer that you are refered to by the agent - they end up working in their mutual favour and not in yours. This is obviously my biased opinion, but other people I've complained to recently have had similar experiences, so mine's not isolated.

Our first attempt at buying a house ended in disaster. We were applying for a 100% loan, with the deposit being paid by deposit bond. Apparently this is not very well understood in Victoria by people wanting to sell their homes and the agents, who don't like it very much either because that means they don't get their commision straight away, are loathe to explain it properly and are quick to try and advise you that the regular contract of offer, which promises a "Deposit" is good enough and covers you well enough. Thanks to a very good Broker (ex-SA) who warned us to insist on adding the words "Deposit BOND" to the contract we didn't get stung, but it was a close call.

We made the first offer and it was accepted. But then came the problems. Firstly we needed an extention to finalise our finance. (The bank wanted so much paperwork from us for the 100% loan that I started making preparations to give a DNA sample - just incase they requested it too. :ilikeit: )The vendor didn't refuse the extension until two days before the end of the extension date. Four days after deadline he decides he doesn't want to give us an extention - he'd suddenly realised what a deposit bond was and wanted out of the deal. Apparently the vendor didn't really understand what a deposit bond was and couldn't understand why he couldn't access his deposit straight away - the agent had never properly explained it to him fearing he'll refuse the offer! Then both the agent and vendor tried to pressure us into coming up with a deposit, despite our agreement, to keep the sale "going". We refused and the vendor suddenly decided that all the time in which he hadn't said no to our request for an extension counted in his favour and he told us there was no sale. But the agents and our conveyancers weren't happy with this and tried to talk us into forcing the poor man off his property - insisting we had an agreement and a sale. When we then told them we refused to do this, they told us we were bound to the sale as the offer had been accepted. Go figure! Finally, after two weeks of the vendor changing his mind almost daily about whether there actually was a sale or not, and with the agents refusing to let us go so that we could go and find a house that someone actually wanted to sell to us, we asked the vendor for a letter from his solicitor (when he said "NO SALE" again) and using that letter forced the agents into accepting there was no sale and that we were free to persue another property. During this whole issue our conveyancer - who knew our agent personally- made us so angry by not acting in our best interest and constantly trying to force us into the sale that we finally threatened them with legal action if they didn't bring the matter to a close quickly and to our satisfaction. After this they finally requested the letter of refusal we had repeatedly requested they get from the vendor's solicitor and that was that.

Imagine what would have happened if we hadn't insisted on the words "Deposit Bond" being put into the contract :) We would have been forced to come up with a 10% deposit on the spot.

As luck would have it our second choice was part of a deceased estate. Oh Boy!

The agent didn't inform us that there were four trustees to this estate who all had to be brought to the table before a sale could occur. It took them a week to produce a section 32. After another two weeks (deja vu) of haggling with these trustees they'd pushed our initial offer up by $15,000 and when we looked again we were sitting in the agents office being pushed very hard to sign the latest offer. When I asked for some time to reconsider the agent decided to ignore me and focus on my husband. I finally reverted to speaking in Afrikaans to get my husband's attention which was contantly being engaged by the agent who was trying to drown my attempts at input out by constantly speaking fast and very loudly. I told my husband in Afrikaans that we were being bulldozed and that I was getting annoyed and he agreed and told the agent to be quiet. He then asked the agent what would happen if we decided to use the thee day cool-off period. The agent assured us we would not lose our deposit. When I drew his attention to the contract which said in plain terms that we would lose our deposit, he told us that we simply had to pretend our finance had been refused and we'd be fine - this whilst he knew we now had a pre-approved loan! I could not believe what I was hearing and walked out of the office.

That evening we looked at another house, which we'd viewed before, but could not agree on. Because of the very refreshing honesty and openness of the agent, we decided not to continue with the offer on the other house.

After sleeping on the whole thing and spending some time researching the very last property we put in an offer which was accepted by the vendor. The agent has been very honest and open and we've really enjoyed doing business with him. It's been like a breath of fresh air. Also finally we had a house- and at a very decent price too! We'll be moving in mid-June at the latest and can't wait anymore.

Well, that's been our great house-buy saga. We'd nearly given up on the whole thing. If anyone wants to buy a property between Seaford and Rye on the peninsula let me know and I'll tell you who the agent is. It's great to deal with someone who is honest for a change.

I am probably going to be selling a house in Mount Martha within the next few months. It would help to know the name of an honest real estate agent.

His name is Andrew Milne. He's the director of Andrew Milne Real Estate in Frankston and can be contacted at 03 9781 666 during office hours. His web address is www.milnere.com.au.

I hope you're as impressed by him as we were.