Willem: Hi almal

Willem

Ons is van Alberton SA en het gister uitgevind ek het werk gekry in Rockhampton Queensland :blink: ,sal die 06 Mei begin met die nuwe lewe en dan sal hulle aansoek doen vir die visas en dan eers sal my vrou,kinders,ma en pa

Hoop daar kom baie raad van mense wat al deur die prosses is.

Groete

Willem

Ek is so verlig vir julle dat die werk nou deurgekom het.Ook julle land in n tyd van die jaar waar die weer heerlik is.Onthou net asb met die huis soekery dat jy seker maak dit het lugverkoeling.Dis nie soveel die temperature as die humiditeit.

As die agent jou probeer ore aansit met "ceiling fans" is voldoende-mikien vir haar wat al 100 jaar daar bly en geklimatiseer het.Julle kom van die Hoeveld.Ek probeer julle nie afsit nie-ek wil julle net voorberei.

As mens oordentlik uitgerus is-dan is die somers hier GEEN PROBLEEM.maar as jy nie is nie,kan mens nogal moeilik raak.

lees ek dit reg-kom jy alleen-en dan eers later vrou,kinders,ouers?Sjoe-dis braaf.

Congratulations Willem - that is fantastic news! I hope some of advice was useful and helped in some small way :)

I am more than willing to give advice on the move, but would need to ask you to also post in English if possible - it takes me ages to translate :D !

Best of luck - and stay calm!

Welkom Willem!

Baie geluk met die werk! Ja ons is ook binnekort in Qld. Kan nie meer wag nie, voel jy ook asof die tyd baie stadig nou gaan en dat jy nog so baie dinge het om te doen en bang jy kry nie tyd daarvoor nie?

Hi Willem

We are in Rockhampton. We have been here now for 8 months. It's a lovely place. Just don't expect too much of the people, not the friendliest, so you have to be a bit thick skinned. On the other hand there are lots of nice people here too, but I usually find its the people who have travelled and seen the world. The population here is around 97,000, very relaxed lifestyle, also, you have to get to know the ozzies and then you will find them friendly etc. Sorry about the English but it will take me forever to write in Afrikaans. I actually speak more Afrikaans here than I did in SA but still I can't write it like I write English. Anyway, what else can I say. What industry are you in? My husband is a Diesel Technician. We already have three of our friends here from SA, they have been here now for 3/4 months and it will be great if you could contact us and we can all get together when you arrive here and have a braai. Yes, we have SA boerewors, just not the castles yet.

Hi Georgia

I will be working at AMH as n mechanical fitter,I'm a millwright by trade(electrical & mechanical) but got the sponsor as a fitter for it takes a while before I can get my electrical cert.I have spoken to a Renier Swanepoel thats also in Rockhampton and he is also working for AMH.

Whats the housing like in Rockhampton ?How far is Yeppoon from there??

Would love to come together once we settled for a braai and a few beers

Mooi bly

Willem

Hi Willem

Ahh, that's Australian Meat Holding hey.

The housing here is what they called Queenlanders. They sit above the ground - to let air flow through the house because it can get very hot here. One thing I must advise you is when you rent a place here, make sure it has got an already fitted aircon as the aircons are very expensive to buy here and trust me you don't want to be without an aircon. Yeppoon is about 30 km from here. Very nice place. I would like to land up there within the next two years or so. So at least you have someone else from SA working at AMH - that always helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers'

Hi Georgia

Yip, Aus meat holdings,is it a big company?

I know that it gets verry hot in Rockhampton,but whats the rain like,does it rain throughout the year,is it always wet?

Thanks

Willem

Rockhampton is about 3 miles / 5 kms over the Tropic of Capricorn line, so is tropical in the real sense.

The tropics doesn't have spring, summer autumn and winter.

It's warm / hot there all the time. They have the "wet" season and the "dry" season.

In the Southern Hemisphere, the tropics have their wet season in the summertime . . . December to March and the dry season in the wintertime . . . June to September . . .the same as in southern Africa up in the tropics.

Most of the rains come with the wet season leaving it very humid and muggy . . . unpleasant for most people, especially if you come there straight from the south of Australia with its dry climate and haven't been there for a while to acclimatise. It's hot too.

I picked pineapples at Yeppoon as a student. I lived in an open air shed where the farmer parked his tractor. It was great for a young bloke . . . warm at night and I'd hear the rain crashing on the corrugated iron roof. There would be 4 inches in one night . . 100 mm . . and in the morning there would be steam and low clouds everywhere with all the vapour, but my mid afternoon and the hot sun drying everything up, you wouldn't think that a drop had fallen 12 hours earlier.

The dry season is great. While the south of Australia is getting their yearly rainfall and COLD, the tropics is dry and free of cloud every day . . just warm sunshine and cool nights. Perfect!

• 1 month later...

Ek het seker nie nodig om te se waar ek die eerste foto geneem het nie! :(

Die tweede een is wel in Yapoon geneem... Pragtig wereld in daai omgewing.

Moet nie van die reefs vergeet nie, iets baie besonders. Hou nogals van die in Town of 1770.

Rockhampton is about 3 miles / 5 kms over the Tropic of Capricorn line, so is tropical in the real sense.

The tropics doesn't have spring, summer autumn and winter.

It's warm / hot there all the time. They have the "wet" season and the "dry" season.

In the Southern Hemisphere, the tropics have their wet season in the summertime . . . December to March and the dry season in the wintertime . . . June to September . . .the same as in southern Africa up in the tropics.

Most of the rains come with the wet season leaving it very humid and muggy . . . unpleasant for most people, especially if you come there straight from the south of Australia with its dry climate and haven't been there for a while to acclimatise. It's hot too.

I picked pineapples at Yeppoon as a student. I lived in an open air shed where the farmer parked his tractor. It was great for a young bloke . . . warm at night and I'd hear the rain crashing on the corrugated iron roof. There would be 4 inches in one night . . 100 mm . . and in the morning there would be steam and low clouds everywhere with all the vapour, but my mid afternoon and the hot sun drying everything up, you wouldn't think that a drop had fallen 12 hours earlier.

The dry season is great. While the south of Australia is getting their yearly rainfall and COLD, the tropics is dry and free of cloud every day . . just warm sunshine and cool nights. Perfect!

post-105-1144550614.jpg

Hi Georgia

I will be working at AMH as n mechanical fitter,I'm a millwright by trade(electrical & mechanical) but got the sponsor as a fitter for it takes a while before I can get my electrical cert.I have spoken to a Renier Swanepoel thats also in Rockhampton and he is also working for AMH.

Whats the housing like in Rockhampton ?How far is Yeppoon from there??

Would love to come together once we settled for a braai and a few beers

Mooi bly

Willem

Ietsie van Yappoon

post-105-1144551564.jpg

Hi julle!

Ek bly om die hoek van julle. Ons het reeds gisteraand gesels dat ons een van die vakansie dae wil deur ry Yappoon toe vir die dag. Ons het 'n klompie informasie kaartjies gekry en dit lyk na 'n baie interesante omgewing! Redelik baie om te sien! Ons wil ook Kepple island besoek, gedink om daar oor te slaap vir 'n naweek en dan te gaan snorkel...

Danie