The ugly truth

MichelleO

Hi Michelle,

I haven't been on the site for a while so I only saw your listing today. I started crying AGAIN, it is a echo of my feelings exactly. If I knew it was going to be this hard I don't think I would've gone through with it. How are you doing now? Is there any improvement? We landed Jan 2010 and even today I still go through the same ups and downs. You never think the "sense of belonging" can make such a difference. It's something I never thought about, SA was part of me and I knew where to find everything I needed. I think it's important to try to make friends here that you can relate to, not an easy thing. Is there no chance that any of your family will come over permanently? A heart ache shared is halved they say. I don't know where in Oz you are, we're in Sydney - Hills area. If you're in Sydney send me a private message and we can get together if you want.

All the Best

Erna

See Michelle's update on 27 June.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Michelle,

I haven't been on the site for a while so I only saw your listing today. I started crying AGAIN, it is a echo of my feelings exactly. If I knew it was going to be this hard I don't think I would've gone through with it. How are you doing now? Is there any improvement? We landed Jan 2010 and even today I still go through the same ups and downs. You never think the "sense of belonging" can make such a difference. It's something I never thought about, SA was part of me and I knew where to find everything I needed. I think it's important to try to make friends here that you can relate to, not an easy thing. Is there no chance that any of your family will come over permanently? A heart ache shared is halved they say. I don't know where in Oz you are, we're in Sydney - Hills area. If you're in Sydney send me a private message and we can get together if you want.

All the Best

Erna

Oh Erna, my heart breaks for you. It's true, if you read my latest update, I am totally in love with Australia! We are in Melbourne. Maybe send me a PM and we can share some tips on how to make life easier, it honestly does get easier. I am wondering if you have children, as that's why I was able to make friends and having friends is what helped me settle.

my heart goes out to you. I can relate to what you are saying Michelle.

Hi All,

Thank you so much for all your kindness. I think it would be much easier if I had friends here but my girls are teenagers so the parents don't get involved. I work in a small company so there's not really anyone there either. I think I need to join some sort of club but don't really know what. Any ideas?

The only way to get through this is to focus on the present and the future.

All the best.

Erna

Hi All,

Thank you so much for all your kindness. I think it would be much easier if I had friends here but my girls are teenagers so the parents don't get involved. I work in a small company so there's not really anyone there either. I think I need to join some sort of club but don't really know what. Any ideas?

All the best.

Erna

Hi Erna,

I am sorry to hear how you feel, but I am in much the same position, we have lived in Cherrybrook for 7 yrs now and up till now. I cant count a single friend on my hand maybe because of my age and that I am a carer for my 22 yr old daughter I just find people are not as friendly as one thinks but feel free to contact me we will be moving in 6 wks time but will still be here in Cheerybrook.

All the best but I am a round if you need me

Janet

Hi All,

All the best.

Erna

Hi Erna

Have you tried Facebook. There is a forum "ex-South Africans in Australia", and there is one started by members of this forum. You will be suprised how many other people are in the same boat. You can join these groups and get advise etc. :)

Goodluck

Sandra

• 1 month later...

Hi Erna,

I am sorry to hear how you feel, but I am in much the same position, we have lived in Cherrybrook for 7 yrs now and up till now. I cant count a single friend on my hand maybe because of my age and that I am a carer for my 22 yr old daughter I just find people are not as friendly as one thinks but feel free to contact me we will be moving in 6 wks time but will still be here in Cheerybrook.

All the best but I am a round if you need me

Janet

Hi Janet,

THanks for the message, would you like to get together for coffee sometime, please send me a personal message, it'll bo great!

Archived