Adopt a granny?

NearlyAussie

My parents were recently over for a visit, and it was very hard to say goodbye again. While they were here, I realised that there is something that we often don't consider when relocating - the loss of intergenerational contact.

My girls (age 7 and 11) loved having their grandparents around. My mom did things like starting to teach them to knit (which I can't do), and told them stories about what life was like when they were growing up. They LOVED it.

It made me realise that my girls, in the physical absence of their own grandparents, could really do with some contact with older people in Perth. Does anyone know if they have an "adopt a granny" program anywhere in Perth? I have heard of similar programs in other countries, and its where they put lonely older people in contact with a new family. This is NOT for babysitting of kids, but to provide company for the older person.

My parents were recently over for a visit, and it was very hard to say goodbye again. While they were here, I realised that there is something that we often don't consider when relocating - the loss of intergenerational contact.

My girls (age 7 and 11) loved having their grandparents around. My mom did things like starting to teach them to knit (which I can't do), and told them stories about what life was like when they were growing up. They LOVED it.

It made me realise that my girls, in the physical absence of their own grandparents, could really do with some contact with older people in Perth. Does anyone know if they have an "adopt a granny" program anywhere in Perth? I have heard of similar programs in other countries, and its where they put lonely older people in contact with a new family. This is NOT for babysitting of kids, but to provide company for the older person.

Hi Nearly Aussie - I have heard of that - but from what I have heard from my Aussie mates - it is more a financial thing - adopting a elderly person and helping out with little donations/shopping etc.......I will ask around as it came up in a conversation I had with a friend of mine a little while ago.......that would be so great hey......as most of us need that service..........it is daunting for our beloved kids to suddenly be without grandparents!!!!

I will PM you should I find out anything!!

I don't know about 'adopt a granny' but I do know that getting involved with your local community centre or church will see a lot of new people coming into your life aka adoptive grannies. ;) You'll meet a lot of these retired ladies who do community work and love getting involved with people in the community. It could be good for you as a family to have this sort of interaction as some community centres offer a lot of support, entertainment and social interaction for all ages. All the best.

How old do you want the Granny to be?

Perhaps we can just start our own " granny and Granpa" program?

I'm not there yet, but have myself many times wondered about what we would do to give our little ones grannies again (we hope, hope, hope to live near my parents in Oz one day, but who can tell ?). I love the idea, it would mean so much for the older as well as the younger ones !

Okey Dokey.......if you google Adopt a Pensioner you will find all the info!!

Still a very cool thing to do - they then can become foster 'grandparents'........ :ilikeit:

Erica

Hi Nearly Aussie - I have heard of that - but from what I have heard from my Aussie mates - it is more a financial thing - adopting a elderly person and helping out with little donations/shopping etc.......I will ask around as it came up in a conversation I had with a friend of mine a little while ago.......that would be so great hey......as most of us need that service..........it is daunting for our beloved kids to suddenly be without grandparents!!!!

I will PM you should I find out anything!!

Hey Erica, don't be selfish now man, we all need to know this, don't pm Nearly Aussie, if you don't mind..... :o

:unsure::blush:

How old do you want the Granny to be?

Perhaps we can just start our own " granny and Granpa" program?

They can adopt me......... :unsure:

Hey Erica, don't be selfish now man, we all need to know this, don't pm Nearly Aussie, if you don't mind..... :o

:unsure::blush:

Hey Kathy - Come to think of it - as they have these 'over 45's villages/retirement places' here in OZ........Whoever wants to - can adopt me....as I am almost there in a couple of years...... :lol:

I will be a rather cool granny!!...... :whome:

Erica

We haven't adopted a granny, but a granny adopted us! :blush: We all call her mum (us and the kids - and even her carers - she is mum to everyone!) It is just amazing how someone could enrich your life like that! I'm sure it works both ways.

In Australia, the elderly are much better looked after and cared for than I saw it to be in South Africa. They are also way more active, out there and living life to the full extent. They are going to the beaches, sipping lattes, and travelling to all kinds of weird and wonderful places! They are much more part of the family (not stuck away in a home unless it is the absolute only way) and they are everywhere, by any means possible : wheelchair, zimmer frame, you name it! They are unstoppable! :unsure:

I just googled this topic and the best advice out there is to contact the retirement villages and speak to the events coordinator or the person in charge and ask if they know of anybody that wohld be i terested in being an adopted granny :-)

• 3 weeks later...

I have often thought of this idea too for my toddler son (and I!) If there are any ex SA grannies who miss their grandkids and want to meet for a coffee and a chat in Secret Harbour, let me know!

I wish someone would start adopting the grannys and grandpas who stay behind in South Africa... :rolleyes:

Archived