Hi Everyone

L.T

Hi Everyone, We are a young SA family looking at starting the process of immigration to Aus. We have been out of Sa for 3 years, living in Dubai but would like to settle in Aus within the next 2 years. There are SO many ?'s that need to be asked i do not even know where to start. I have been in contact with an agent in Sydney but a friend who is curently going through the process from SA said that he is VERY expensive. He quoted me AUS $ 8785 Can anyone recomend a decent and trustworthy agent? I guess the first step would be to do my husbands skills assessment? When would we have to do the IELTS tests, before we start the process or later?

Assuming that you have all the necessary docs (unabridged birth certificates etc, seeing as you are already living in another country) the next step would be to decide if you're going to do it on your own or use an agent.

The price quoted by this agent seems to be within the normal range for a skilled migration - if that's what you were quoted for. If your situation is straight forward, you can do it yourself at about half the cost (as you still have the fees payable to DIAC, costs for medicals etc.) If you don't know which visa type you will qualify for, your first stop should be the immi website where you could do an online questionaire to help you out with your options, or you could search under the visa types you feel you should qualify for.

If you have a complicated case, it is better to use an agent - they know how to deal with those matters. If you use an agent, they must be registered - check on the omara website if they are and you can also check there if they have any complaints lodged against them. Even some of the "clean" ones are dodgy (I know!!) so always better to go with someone who comes with a good referral from friends or from forums such as these.

Hope this helps to get things going. Living in another country already makes the whole emotional rollercoaster ride so much easier - at least you won't have to worry about that bit :ilikeit:

PS: Welcome to the forum! You're at the right place now! :ilikeit:

Thanks Riekie,

We are applying under the skilled migration category as my husband is an electrician. I think that it may just be easier and a little less complicated working through an agent.? But if we can save all that money - why not :0) I am always up for a challenge. How did you go about the process? This agent is definately registered and has been handling our company's migrations in Aus for years. Our Managing Director in Sydney put me in contact with him. Have a super day and i look forward to hearing more from you.

Assuming that you have all the necessary docs (unabridged birth certificates etc, seeing as you are already living in another country) the next step would be to decide if you're going to do it on your own or use an agent.

The price quoted by this agent seems to be within the normal range for a skilled migration - if that's what you were quoted for. If your situation is straight forward, you can do it yourself at about half the cost (as you still have the fees payable to DIAC, costs for medicals etc.) If you don't know which visa type you will qualify for, your first stop should be the immi website where you could do an online questionaire to help you out with your options, or you could search under the visa types you feel you should qualify for.

If you have a complicated case, it is better to use an agent - they know how to deal with those matters. If you use an agent, they must be registered - check on the omara website if they are and you can also check there if they have any complaints lodged against them. Even some of the "clean" ones are dodgy (I know!!) so always better to go with someone who comes with a good referral from friends or from forums such as these.

Hope this helps to get things going. Living in another country already makes the whole emotional rollercoaster ride so much easier - at least you won't have to worry about that bit :ilikeit:

We worked through an agent which was paid by the company who sponsored hubby, so fortunately we did not have those costs or concerns. Many people on this forum do their own skilled migrations, so you can do it yourself. There's lots of fellow forumites who could help with all those questions throughout the process.

Thanks again Riekie - you have been a great help so far. I will most definately look around on the forum and chat to people who have done everything on their own and ask for tips and advice.

Hi LT

First up, welcome to the forum :ilikeit: I'm sure you'll find many answers and lots of support here!

The fee sounds on the high side but without knowing what it includes ( skills assessments etc ) it's hard to judge. The DIAC charges are in the order of $2500 so if you decide to do your application yourself, thats what you'd pay. Of course there are additional cost for health checks, IELTS, skills assessments, police clearances etc but these are incidental when compared to the visa application fee.

As Riekie says, it is entirely possible to do your own application if it's a straightforward one and you're a thorough, detailed person. Many people have successfully done this, but there are also those who would rather spend the extra money and be secure in the knowledge that their application is being handled by a professional. Spend some time here and on the DIAC site to assess how complex your case is and then make the call about what suits your circumstances best.

Nice to have you here and looking forward to getting to know you through your journey!

Ajay

Welcome LT. Good to have you here. As Ajay said, spend some time on the forum first before making the decision whether to use an agent or not. I have often said to people that two or three entire weekends spent reading this forum and immi site could save you thousands.

Hi Ajay

The quote includes the following:

$ 3850 agent fees, including the initial assessment and preparation of the skills assessment application.

$ 2200 to vetassess for trade assessment ($600 for the paper based assessment and if successful $1600 for the practical test).

$ 2525 to Dept of Immigration and Citizenship at the time of lodging the application.

Does that sound a bit better? :0)

Hi LT

First up, welcome to the forum :ilikeit: I'm sure you'll find many answers and lots of support here!

The fee sounds on the high side but without knowing what it includes ( skills assessments etc ) it's hard to judge. The DIAC charges are in the order of $2500 so if you decide to do your application yourself, thats what you'd pay. Of course there are additional cost for health checks, IELTS, skills assessments, police clearances etc but these are incidental when compared to the visa application fee.

As Riekie says, it is entirely possible to do your own application if it's a straightforward one and you're a thorough, detailed person. Many people have successfully done this, but there are also those who would rather spend the extra money and be secure in the knowledge that their application is being handled by a professional. Spend some time here and on the DIAC site to assess how complex your case is and then make the call about what suits your circumstances best.

Nice to have you here and looking forward to getting to know you through your journey!

Ajay

Hi LT

That does sound much better. I will mail you later.....it will be a long letter!LOL

Hestie

Welcome to the forum!

As both Ajay and Riekie suggested, have a read here and on the immi websites and see what visa you qualify for etc. Most people tend to think that if they have an agent, then they can sit back and relax, but you still have to do the leg work and get all the documents and fill in the forms. If you have a complicated case, then an agent is definitely the way to go. If you're unsure, you can usually have one or two consultations with an agent, and just pay for those consultations.

We did our own application as things were relatively straight forward. So I think the best thing to do is assess what visa you want to apply for, and whether or not there are any obstacles. If yes, then contact a registered agent.

All the best!

Michele

Thanks Michelle, i greatly appreciate all the advice :0)

How is Perth? We would definately look at WA when the time comes to moving. what are job availabilities like there (electrician) and are the cost of living much lower than the other areas? I have been told that WA is the more beautiful part, more similar to SA, more saffers live there and the wine farms are lovely around that area :0) I get so excited while i am talking to everyone on this forum - feels like i could just jump on the next plane to Aus ... hehehe.

Welcome to the forum!

As both Ajay and Riekie suggested, have a read here and on the immi websites and see what visa you qualify for etc. Most people tend to think that if they have an agent, then they can sit back and relax, but you still have to do the leg work and get all the documents and fill in the forms. If you have a complicated case, then an agent is definitely the way to go. If you're unsure, you can usually have one or two consultations with an agent, and just pay for those consultations.

We did our own application as things were relatively straight forward. So I think the best thing to do is assess what visa you want to apply for, and whether or not there are any obstacles. If yes, then contact a registered agent.

All the best!

Michele

I have been told that WA is the more beautiful part,

Yes that is correct. WA is better than the rest of Aus. ;)

:ilikeit:

Archived