Stop over at Singapore

Tilla

Hi all - I would like to hear from people who have experience with traveling with small children - Friends of ours are coming to visit in December and wanted to use the stop-over in Singapore as an opportunity to see another place at the same time. So they decided to book their connecting flight after two days. Problem is they have two small children, one will be almost two and the other one four and a half. At first they thought it would break up the traveling time a bit to make it easier for them but now they are worried that the kids will be so miserable and tired after the first session that they will battle to take them anywhere at all while they are there and they will be sitting for two days waiting the time out for the flight to Melbourne. Any advice on this? Should they just get the traveling over and done with asap and come straight here or will it be worth it to try and spend some time there and have a look at the place.

Hi,

Children most often then not travel better than their parents.

Singapore is always a great city to layover . I would not be doing to much with such young chidren.

They must make sure that their hotel room is availablke as soon as they arrive, as normally check-in is only after 12 noon. the flight from SA arrives at about 6 or 630 in the morning.

They could check in have a rest and in the afternoon perhaps go toJurong Bird Park .

On day 2 perhaps visit Sentosa Island or the Zoo.

There are so many options for Singapore and so much to do.

Hi all - I would like to hear from people who have experience with traveling with small children - Friends of ours are coming to visit in December and wanted to use the stop-over in Singapore as an opportunity to see another place at the same time. So they decided to book their connecting flight after two days. Problem is they have two small children, one will be almost two and the other one four and a half. At first they thought it would break up the traveling time a bit to make it easier for them but now they are worried that the kids will be so miserable and tired after the first session that they will battle to take them anywhere at all while they are there and they will be sitting for two days waiting the time out for the flight to Melbourne. Any advice on this? Should they just get the traveling over and done with asap and come straight here or will it be worth it to try and spend some time there and have a look at the place.

Hi

If your friends are flying to Australia via Singapore , then it's a good idea to break up the trip and to spend a couple of days in Singapore. It is certainly a better option than flying to Oz via Singapore with a short delay before catching the next flight to Melbourne....that makes it a really long trip.

Singapore is a great/beautiful city to visit and yes travelling with young children is always more difficult......but I would still recommend the two day stay in Singapore and the opportunity get some rest after the first leg of the trip....and to see the sights. :cry:

Enjoy!

Manny

Apparently there are loads to do in Singapore for kids, and if mine are anything to go by they will be raring to go when you get there while you will be bleary eyed!!

Friends of ours with a little one (under 2 years) stayed 3 days in Singapore enroute to Aus to visit us and they thouroughly enjoyed it! If you're going to fly via Singapore, you might as well make it worth it.

I would definitely recommend Singapore as a stopover destination. Although we did it when there was just the two of us.

I’m sure it would be a bit more challenging now that we have a toddler, but my theory is that you don’t go that way often, so may as well take the opportunity. At least it’s a better option than flying it all in one.

As has been pointed out above – kids travel better than the adults!

Thanks for all your replies, will pass the message on and hopefully it will work out great for them.

They can also look at stopping over in Mauritius, we're seriously considering that.

They can also look at stopping over in Mauritius, we're seriously considering that.

They have already booked and paid for the tickets, but have not booked accommodation in Singapore yet. They are just thinking of changing the dates to the normal connecting flight. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Or add an Australian city to your trip (between Perth, Sydney and Melbourne).

They have already booked and paid for the tickets, but have not booked accommodation in Singapore yet. They are just thinking of changing the dates to the normal connecting flight. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Whoops, I didn't read the post properly :blink:

Im DREADING flying with my 2.

When we did the LSD, we also decided to spend a day in Singapore.....

I was SO exhausted, and had to now tag along while my DH looked for a camera to buy. I was resting my head on the counter while sitting on the stool.

We then tried to do some sight seeing, but I was just exhausted and irritable, and even though it was a lovely place to see, I would rather have gone all the way and spent the day at the destination friends.....

It really depends on how much sleep you get on the flights, but if there are kids, then between you have to have one eye open all the time not to mention the toilet / hunger / thirst / million questions........

I wouldn't do it again if my kids aged 4 & 6 were with us.

Maybe the 2 days is better than 1. Also, take heed of the advice above of having immediate access to your hotel room... we Had to sit around, and showered in the gym, waiting the morning until our room was ready.

My 2c worth

J

Archived