..7 months...any friends...

malJohann

Oops, look's like we'll have to keep our house clean now! :-)

Oops, look's like we'll have to keep our house clean now! :-)

Yup, yup. We're waiting for that invite... :)

Yup, yup. We're waiting for that invite... :)

Right! I'll get on top of it straight away. :)

I could suggest a venue for you, the Bundoora Hotel on Plenty Road in Bundoora. They have a play area for the kids and you have to pay for your meals as you order, so that sorts out the payment problems at the end. They are open for lunch from 12 to 2.30, perhaps check with them if you could stay on longer, as the bar is separate and self serve. Their food is pretty good. Here is a link: http://www.bundoorahotel.com.au/

MichelleO......PM sent.

• 1 month later...
Hey. So, my wife and I have been in Melbourne for more than 7 months and haven't made any friends outside of the people we see at the workplace. We also always seem to miss the SaAussie get togethers, so I was wondering if there's someone out there in the same situation? What can we do? Anyone need more friends? Feels like we're going to go insane. :-)

are you guys sporty? great way to meet friends. we play touch rugby weeknights at albert park. there is a mixed league as well, so you can play together. winter league is halfway through now, but i'm sure you can slot in for a friendly or two.. and summar league is awesome (probably from october/november), we go for drinks afterwards each time etc.

are you guys sporty? great way to meet friends. we play touch rugby weeknights at albert park. there is a mixed league as well, so you can play together. winter league is halfway through now, but i'm sure you can slot in for a friendly or two.. and summar league is awesome (probably from october/november), we go for drinks afterwards each time etc.

Good idea. I play touch footy with my colleagues once weekly during lunch. You play league rules?

• 2 weeks later...

I arrived a week ago, with my husband and 2 kids (5 and 9). Gah. Just wanted to say, I've done this before - lived in Sweden for a few years. What I did there, and it worked really well for me, was to meet as many people as I could, as quickly as I could. Sure you "click" with some people better/quicker than with others, but if you want to build a community - because thats afterall what we all want, support and connection - just like in any random community, you get a range of different types of people, all with different roles to play in your life. Sometimes its not even about "true" friendship (whatever that is :ilikeit: ), but being able to lend a hand when its needed and know that you'll get that back in return.

Sjoe. Deep. Ok, anyone want to have coffee? :)

What area are you in Sparky_giraffe?

I'm in Doncaster East. Willing to travel (within reason :) ).

Best advice I can offer people ( and I have said this loads before) is find something you are interested in and join a club, it could be sport or even something as simple as a book club ( most of the libraries have their own once a month), you have to make an effort and get involved. I joined a dog club and I attend 2 classes a week, through this I have made loads of friends ( none of them are my besty but hey its early days yet)! It is always easier to make friends with people who share a common interest. My mistake at first was that I only hung out with people from RSA, and while this is fine ( we have 2 couples from rsa who we are quite good friends with) I think it can hold you back in a way as you never leave the past behind and move on as people tend to talk about what it like back home etc.

Best advice I can offer people ( and I have said this loads before) is find something you are interested in and join a club, it could be sport or even something as simple as a book club ( most of the libraries have their own once a month), you have to make an effort and get involved. I joined a dog club and I attend 2 classes a week, through this I have made loads of friends ( none of them are my besty but hey its early days yet)! It is always easier to make friends with people who share a common interest. My mistake at first was that I only hung out with people from RSA, and while this is fine ( we have 2 couples from rsa who we are quite good friends with) I think it can hold you back in a way as you never leave the past behind and move on as people tend to talk about what it like back home etc.

Absolutely! I started by joining the "SAAustralia Forums > Discussions > Communities > Melbourne, VIC" club :cry:. I figure that we at least have 1 common interest. I think in any group you have the danger of just keeping discussion confined to the subject/commonality that brought you together in the first place. As you point out, the challenge is to move beyond that. (Book group - that was one obvious one I hadn't thought of, that I'll try look into - thanks!)

Archived