Tiger Airways

Serendipity

So here I go again, I asked this Q about VAustralia and now I am doing it again . . .

Tiger Airways based in OZ - Are they any good???

We looking at booking a weekend away to Sydney and they are the most cost effective airline coming up.

Thanks again :ilikeit:

We used them for a flight from Adelaide to Sydney and we had no problems at all. They only had two check-in counters at Adelaide airport specifically allocated to Tiger Air (Qantas, Jetstar, et al had a lot more), but that had no impact on their service at all.

So here I go again, I asked this Q about VAustralia and now I am doing it again . . .

We looking at booking a weekend away to Sydney and they are the most cost effective airline coming up.

Thanks again :ilikeit:

woops, have not flown with them but certainly heard lots of them (also via TV here a program called 'Airways' Be @ the airport way before the time and do not pack too much lol

:ilikeit:

Big no to use them- they change, cancel flights on a whim and if you are 2 minutes late you will not be allowed to book in no matter what the reason. I would definitely suggest you pay a little more and fly with Virgin

Hubby has recently flown Tiger from Melb to Brissie.... he was NOT impressed..... terminal was crazily busy, flight delayed.....

Budget Airlines, budget service.

If your priority is saving money, then it's a good choice, but there are no frills and they do tend to have more delays than say, Qantas or Virgin.

Not all airlines are perfect, but the chances are, Tiger, Jestar, etc, and "less perfect" than their more expensive counterparts. :ilikeit:

Agreed. With Tiger you sadly get what you pay for - which is not much (no frills, poor service, frequent delays...). A friend of ours was stuck in Melbourne for 7 hours waiting for his flight to Sydney; he was not impressed given that this was a Sunday afternoon and he was due back at work on the Monday! And yes, they have an entire TV show dedicated to how bad they are....

Like Hansa said, if you are really pressed on price they are probably OK (but pack a lot of patience and expect the worst). Personally I'm happy to pay a little more and fly with a proper carrier...

z

Prepare yourself for a delay! :hug:

Budget Airlines, budget service.

I agree absolutely!

You get the cheap ticket, but you pay for everything else. add it up and you get close to paying the higher price for the better airlines. Flew Virgin twice before and it was yuk. Their planes are old (cracked leather seats and rattling overhead lockers etc.) and we had to pay an arm and a leg for a sorry excuse for a sandwich. After the first time I thought I was just unlucky, but after the 2nd time, it is obviously how it goes...

I'm a Qantas fan! (Not that they're always super duper, but they're still one of the best!) Love their frequent flyer miles too - been to a few places for free with our miles (incl Europe) so it's absolutely worth paying the bit extra. :hug: Besides, they're Aussie.... :holy:

We have used them and did not have problems

Come on guys, you would swear that other airlines do not have delays.

I have worked for numerous airlines all over the world, and guess what they all have delays. It depends on how unlucky you are to be flying on that particular day when a delay is happening.

Also take into account why the flight is being delayed? Is there a problem with the aircraft? Do you really want to fly on a plane that has a problem or wait until it is fixed........Believe me when I say, that when I worked at an airline we too did not want a delay, as we did not want to take abuse from all the crazy passengers.

I have used Tiger for many flights and I think I have only had one delay, but the price that I paid for the tickets is certainly a bonus.

ALL AIRLINES have delays all over the world, I do agree it is not nice but sh... happens to all of us.

Hi John & Belinda,

I agree with you 100 percent. I worked 18 years for a premium and low cost airline in South Africa. Tiger Airways aircraft are modern (Airbus A320). Virgin Blue aircraft are relatively new and Qantas has a older fleet domestically (B767, 737-400 and 737-800). I take my hats off to Tiger Airways for allowing a TV crew to film their day to day operation. Not many airlines would have the guts to allow this. All aircrafts in Australia are safe and maintained to the highest standards as per CASA requirements.

Diveup

I totally agree that all airlines have delays, but for me it's more about the way the airline actually handles those delays.

Budget airlines have fewer staff, so queues are longer, service is slower, etc.

I commend them for running airlines on such low budgets and being able to keep their prices low, and being able to offer flights to people who may not usually be able to afford it...but as a passenger, I know I'd rather pay a bit more for a better all-round service.

We flew with Tiger in January from Sydney to Melbourne. 2 adults, 1 child. 6 suitcases (23kg each) + personal carryon's and a stroller. We were in transit from Houston to Melbourne with a few days break in Sydney. Booked the tickets on-line, and paid for extra luggage allowance. We got 10kg for free with our ticket, then had to "top up" to cover the balance. I bought an extra 45kg which cost about $200-. Sydney AP was a breeze to get to the counter as we had allowed plenty of time. Then the small print came out....Tiger INCLUDES your stroller in the luggage allowance (Qantas etc do not - its a free item). Luckily all our luggage weighed in at 73kg.

Going to the plane we had to walk out of the terminal into the Sydney heat and climb metal stairs to enter the aircraft from the back door. Flight was uneventful, and we could purchase food/drinks on-board for a few dollars.

Landing at Melbourne at or near to Terminal 4. Another story. Had to walk about 500m in the sweltering heat from the plane to the...er...baggage collection. The conveyor belt was under a covered shelter, with chain-link walls otherwise completely open to the elements. Any not a trolley in sight! Straight out of Africa. My well-travelled 6 yr old turns to us and says "what kind of an airport is THIS?" Out of the mouths of babes people. Had to leave wife, son and pile of luggage beside said conveyor and go missioning for trolleys. Finally found two a few hundred meters away, then returned to Tiger "terminal". Ground staff had to unlock the gate (not door) to let me back in as the exit was a one-way turnstile arrangement. Wait - the fun isn't over yet...

Taxis do not pick up pax from terminal four in Melbourne. Some bizaar taxi rule. @###$! So now I must gently navigate 2 teetering trolleys with wife, child & stroller in tow over the 300 m of cracked sidewalks in the blistering 40deg heat, to terminal 3 where the taxi is happy to meet us.

To put this into context, I had flown with Qantas Sydney Melbourne the week before in complete airconditioned comfort, into Melbourne airport (terminal 3 I think) where there were plenty of trolleys and spacious 1st world baggage collection.

I might use tiger again if I am travelling alone and without bags. But I will never use them again for a family trip. They have a 3rd-world mentality.

Tex

Archived