Starting the long process as a single person

madlo

I have decided Australia.

Can't see myself growing old in SA. Feel bit to choked in this country. Future options, equity laws, high walls and people being suspicious of those they don't know.

All I know is I need to think immediately of my exit strategy before I am too old to qualify.

I am in IT, got a degree and own small property, no debt and have worked for short periods in quite a few countries in Africa, South America, Middle East and Russia so have a bit of perceptive regarding different cultures and that Australia is the best place for me.

From what I have read most of the people on the forum went over with their partners so my journey is not going to be as easy. I am a bit unsure how single friendly Aus is but I figure it cannot be worse than SA and it will be much easier to meet new people and traveling.

Now to start the long process of applying. Need to decide the best strategy to approach the things.

Well starting point is off to the read up on the different VISA options.

Welcome to the forum, you'll be fine ! You'll see here are even single parents taking their children over, now that takes some doing. You'll get there - stay logged in here, the forum is what helps lots of us through uncertain times and regaining our sanity when we seem to loose it ;-)

Welcome, you may be single but not alone, you will find a lot of friendship and help here!

HUGE Welcome to the forum and all the best with the journey ahead

:):o:D

Hi Madlo,

The company I worked in a couple of years ago used to recruit internationally and there were quite a few young South Africans that came over on their own at that time. They all settled in really well, and seemed to find themselves a great social life over here, so I'm sure you'll be fine too. As others here have said, stick around here on the forum and a lot of the tough part of the journey is made just a little easier :)

Cheers

Ajay

Welcome to the forum!

You're not the only single on the forum making the trip alone. A good friend of mine is also making the trip by himself. And you're not alone, you've got a whole lot of support and friends here on the forum, so if you need anything, just shout.

Good luck with the process. Hubby is also in IT, so if you need any help, just send me a PM.

Hi madlo,

We are in Sydney and there is absolutely tons of single South African here, and a big chunk of them in IT. We go to quite a few regular social gatherings organized by South Africans. If you want to broaden your scope and meet single people from all over the world in Sydney you can be out doing a different activity almost every day. The net has made it very easy to meet others.

Thank you so much for the warm welcome.

I will probably ask you guys' advice on a couple of things but things are still at an early stage.

I am not that young, 33 years old this year and want to make Aus my home and retirement base.

The place I am looking at career wise in IT must give me lots of choices at first so Sydney is probably the best.

I decided on 175 rather than try find a sponsorship but I am just unsure about the success rate of applications.

I am also unsure how long the waiting period is for a 175 especially with this freeze

R20 000 is also lot to waste on an application if it gets denied.

I will try to find out as much info as first and even visit the embassy and see how helpful they are.

My long journey starts here.

Have you had a look on immi.gov.au?

They have a checklist which lists all the documents you need for the 175. We did our own visa application and it was quite straight forward.

If you're in IT, it might be worth while to check out possible jobs in Melbourne too.

Have a look on seek.com.au and see what kind of jobs they're advertising in Aus.

Feel free to ask anything, that's what the forum is for.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

You could perhaps also look at Ballarat, Victoria. My hubby's also in IT and it was recommended by our agent. Apparently it's got a quickly growing IT park with IBM already settled there.

Good luck

Hi Madlo,

Best of luck with your road ahead. It is all worth it!!! Done it as a single man 2.5 years ago and was the best thing I ever did! Look me up if you end up in Sydney. We are a large group of single South Africans in our 30's in the city.

Cheers

J

33 = old?

Noooooooooooooooo!!!! I am old next year :thumbdown:

I made the leap and I am single too! You'll be alright,you'll see! There is so much more life to live here!

Archived