Fire!

Garrick

Wow. Just woke up to Amy screaming in her cot and as I ran through I heard what sounded like fireworks outside. Sat down with her in her rocking chair and she kept pointing at the window. My brain started waking up and I realized it couldn't be fireworks. Michelle came through and she looked outside and spotted that a house 1/2 streets down is on fire. We could see the fiery glow and smoke quite easily. As I write this it's gone quite-ish, but we've had at least 4 fire engines go sirens-blaring past us. One stopped and hooked up a hose and ran it down the street behind them.

Not so quiet a full moon night in Bentleigh East.

-G

Wow. Just woke up to Amy screaming in her cot and as I ran through I heard what sounded like fireworks outside. Sat down with her in her rocking chair and she kept pointing at the window. My brain started waking up and I realized it couldn't be fireworks. Michelle came through and she looked outside and spotted that a house 1/2 streets down is on fire. We could see the fiery glow and smoke quite easily. As I write this it's gone quite-ish, but we've had at least 4 fire engines go sirens-blaring past us. One stopped and hooked up a hose and ran it down the street behind them.

Not so quiet a full moon night in Bentleigh East.

-G

Geez Garrick, yip, scary stuff - there are a few house fires here in OZ, gas maybe? One hears of a lot of homes getting gutted...... :blink:

So quiet Bentleigh East had some action......... :whome: Hope all the occupants were okay?

Erica

Fire is my biggest fear and was quite horrified when I first arrived at the number of houses which caught fire. Either they don't report them in SA as well as they do here or Aus houses are a lot more susceptible to catching fire.

A few months ago I asked our local fire department to check our house for fire risk. They checked our alarms, then gathered the family together to show us our exit routes. They noted that we had a futon in the TV room and said that if there were a fire and firemen were in the house searching for someone they would NOT go to the TV room as they head straight for the bedrooms. They would not assume someone could be sleeping in the TV room, and if it were the case someone would have to tell them.

They were really good, very polite and helpful.

Fire is my biggest fear and was quite horrified when I first arrived at the number of houses which caught fire. Either they don't report them in SA as well as they do here or Aus houses are a lot more susceptible to catching fire.

Wood ~ that is the difference, houses in RSA are brick, inside and out. All the wiring inside (most) houses here is in wood and apparently electrical faults cause lots of fires! Scary stuff...

All the wiring inside (most) houses here is in wood and apparently electrical faults cause lots of fires! Scary stuff...

Also, my DIY hubby has said that the electrics are very sub-standard compared to SA's.

My partner is an electrician and says that the electrics here are not as bad as what people are saying. Usually fires are started by leaving appliances on and unattended. All circuits are protected for overload and earth leakage!!! Remember the house structures are made of wood and therefore burn so much quicker!

Archived