Family things to do in Canberra?

africa2aus

My hubby has just surprised me by telling me that he wants to go to Canberra today!!! We're in Sydney so it's about a 3 hour drive and we will only get there this evening (can't leave earlier), so we'll only have tomorrow to explore Canberra. We have 2 kids aged 10 & 12 - any suggestions what to do?

The hotel package comes with Questacon tickets, so looking for something else to do after that before heading home again in the evening. The weather forecast also doesn't look too lekker so maybe Cockington Green is out and we have to do more indoor stuff. Wouldn't mind doing a bit of nature walking (weather permitting), but might not have enough time...

Any suggestions for dinner tonight - decent family restaurant, not too pricey but not fast food either? We'll be staying at the Rydges Capital Hill.

I'm so excited!! Love exploring new places!! :blush:

Well the one thing that is truly amazing for a family is the War Memorial. Kids will love the shows that they project on huge Film screens. You just cannot miss that.

Well, if you like asian food, you can't miss a trip to Sammy's in the Canberra centre. The food there is great and really reasonably priced.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps/place?clien...015438868562596

If you do decide to venture out to Gold Creek (where cockington green is) there is a whle lot of small interesting shops and of course there is Adore Tea, which is an absolutely fantastic tea shop.

Here is another post from last year that details a whole lot of different activities

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=23363

Candice

Thanks, Jordy and Candice! I'll return the favour to you both one day when you visit Sydney. B)

The War Memorial might be a good one for Anzac Day, but I'll see what the rest of the family think about it before deciding. We're definitely going to give Sammy's a try for dinner tonight! Candice, and any others from Canberra, you are welcome to join us if you like :blush: Just PM me your details by 3.30pm as I won't be online after that, and I'll SMS you mine.

I'm so looking forward to this! Yay!!

Attend an ANZAC service sounds the most appropriate for ANZAC Day.

Archived