warrenm: Hi, on our way

warrenm

Hi guys, my wife, baby and me just recently got granted our PR (amazed that it only took 3 months :whome: ) and will be coming over for the initial visit in Mayto activate the Visa. I was wondering if anyone knows of any good Oz tax advisors who can help with structuring affairs before we make the move? I was also wondering if we need to put our daughters name down at a school already (she is 1).

Hi there

Where are you heading for ?

Can't believe it would be necessary to put your daughters name down at a school at this stage.

She still has a few years to go, and you might not even still be in the same place.

We arrived in Cairns in January.

Applied at the school of our choice for our 2 kids ( Year 5 and Year 11 ), and the next week they started school.

Also only applied then at Uni for our eldest daughter, and she was accepted and started the next month.

So, it is not always a big problem.

Hope it all goes well for you and your family.

Australia is a wonderful place to live !!!

It depends where you want to live and which type of school. Many Australian mothers put their name down when they get pregnant, that is if they want their child to get into the "right" school. We have found that you can get places at the "right" schools, but seeing that your child will be needing a place at an "intake" level, you might want to put her name down now already. I have Australian friends here in Asia that have their childrens' names down at schools in Australia, despite them not being sure when and where they will live in Australia, on their return.

If you are looking at Perth, Brisbane and Sydney I can offer you some school names.

Hi Warren

Our son was born here in Brisbane last year, and we put his name up when he was only 3 months old.

This is for Kindie (kindergarten) as some of these places tend to fill up very quickly.

I think we paid $10 to register our interest and get him on the list.

Cheers

Hi Warren

If you PM me I can forward you details of a good Tax Consultant (ex SA)

Welcome. As for schools, I think it depends on the place and private/public option as well. Here in Mandurah, it is very hard to get in some of the private schools. RSA parents really struggle if they leave it to the last minute.

Thanks, sounds pretty similar then to SA. I am probably looking at Sydney, what are the good schools (sport and academics). We had our daughter down at Redhill and St Stithians here in JHB. I understand that it is a tough question and will largely depend on which part of Sydney we move to.

Thanks, sounds pretty similar then to SA. I am probably looking at Sydney, what are the good schools (sport and academics). We had our daughter down at Redhill and St Stithians here in JHB. I understand that it is a tough question and will largely depend on which part of Sydney we move to.

Hi Warren,

It does depend on where you live in Sydney however if you plan to live on the North shore - have a look at Barker college /Knox Grammer(boys)Redlands co-ed/Ravenswood/school for girls/Pymble ladies college/Abbotsleigh(girls).You can also have a look at the Australian school website http://www.myschool.edu.au/ as well as when In Sydney buy a book called "Choosing a school for your child in New South Wales"

If you would like a name for a professional excellent tax consultant that we use for our business and personal tax ( also ex S.A.)Please Pm me and I will send you the details.

Good Luck

Thanks for the help. Based on some internet searching it seems as if North Shore / Eastern suburbs are our most likely destinations. I was amazed how much less expensive renting is compared with buying a similar property. Has to indicate that either house prices are too high or rentals too low.

Prices are too high!( for a number of reasons)I would say it is far better to rent at first.

The Australian school website is fantastic, I wish that we had a resource like that in SA. Reading a few articles it does seem pretty contentious.

Oh it is - but its a great help to parents -I have two children at different private schools -both schools have very different ratings.They are also about to add costs to the website - what funding /grants etc. the schools receive.Also controversial.

Hi,

If you are looking at Sydney Eastern suburbs you definitely need to put your child's name down now, both for preschool and primary. Almost all the schools in the East are excellent (including the public ones) but the ones that routinely come in the top 100 are Reddam, Scotts College, Kambala and Kincoppal. To wait-list your child in this area is a nonrefundable amount of anywhere from $50 to $200! Some of these schools also require character references. They all have comprehensive websites to help you as well. School fees start from around $25000 pa and go up massively.

I love the eastern suburbs and personally wouldn't move but be warned that for the same price as our two bedroom apartment you can get a four bedroom house in the North.

Best of luck,

S

Thanks, the East seems to be significantly more expensive than the Northern suburbs, I assume the transport in an out of the CBD is better? We are looking for family orientated area with good schools nearby but reasonable access (30 min on public transport) to the CBD. Pymble and surrounding areas (St Ives, Gordon) seem ideal. Has anyone else got any other suggestions?

Thanks, the East seems to be significantly more expensive than the Northern suburbs, I assume the transport in an out of the CBD is better? We are looking for family orientated area with good schools nearby but reasonable access (30 min on public transport) to the CBD. Pymble and surrounding areas (St Ives, Gordon) seem ideal. Has anyone else got any other suggestions?

Hi Warren,

I know many people that live up in Wahroonga/Turramurra area. There is a primary school up there that people rave about, it is actually public and brilliant. They then send their kids to private for high school, and there are many excellent private high schools up there. So check out The Bush School http://www.wahroonga-p.schools.nsw.edu.au/menu/index.html

You are on the right track with areas regarding good train links to CBD, housing, schools, nature etc. My sis in law actually stay in North Wahroonga (Turramurra station closest) and the Kuringai National Park starts across the road from them. Loads of RSA's living in their street (Esk Street, google it).

Archived