Rooi Willie: Hello there! ---> Plus some questions :-)

Rooi Willie

Hi everyone!

I came across the forum while browsing and love the comeradery between everyone!! :rolleyes:

Me and my fince have decided to leave sunny sa. Sad as it may be, we believe it will be for the better, and for our future children's well being. :(

I have one question that I can't seem to find an answer for :

If I intend to start a business in Australia, what is the requirements and the waiting period?

Also :

Is the quickest way to move abroad, by getting a sponsorship? (If I understand correctly, sponsorship means a job offer?)

Also :

My fiance is studying to become a chartered accountant via UNISA. Does anyone know if she'll be able to further her studies in Australia? Would she have to start from scratch?

Also :

Can she go over on my visa as a dependant? Or do we need to be married?

Thanx for your great support!

Enjoy the day!

Hi and welcome!

If you think you leaving sunny RSA, just wait till you experience the sun in Australia. :rolleyes: RSA sun has nothing on Aus sun, but thats a whole different discssion.

If I intend to start a business in Australia, what is the requirements and the waiting period?

Dunno the answer sorry. But someone else will.

Also :

Is the quickest way to move abroad, by getting a sponsorship? (If I understand correctly, sponsorship means a job offer?)

Yes. Sponsorship means a job offer, and it is the quickest way. You could be in Aus within a few months depending on your profession of course.

Also :

My fiance is studying to become a chartered accountant via UNISA. Does anyone know if she'll be able to further her studies in Australia? Would she have to start from scratch?

She could either continue her studies with UNISA from Aus and just do the coversion exams at the end or she could study here and get credits for her subjects.

Also :

Can she go over on my visa as a dependant? Or do we need to be married?

She do not have to be married and she can come over as a dependant or rather as a De Facto partner but there are strict ways in which to prove your infact a De Facto couple.

Welcome again.

Thanx Jordy!

BTW : Is there a place in the forum where we can "look" for jobs? Or is there specific people that help other South Africans to find work in Aus?

Aloa

Hi Rooi_willie,

Welcome. The decision to leave is a hard one, but all great journeys start with a single first step. :D

Just one or two things to add to what Jordy said.

To qualify as defacto partners you need to have lived together for more than a year, and will need to prove this by showing things like jointly signed rental agreements, bills delivered to the same address, etc.

To start a business (note I'm not a great expert), far as I know you have a few options.

1.) Apply for a business visa - very stringent requirements. You need to have a successfull business track record in SA, am only allowed to start a business in Aus (i.e. can't get a normal job) and the visa has conditions such as you need to grow your business in Aus to a certain revenue within a certain amount of time once you arrive.

2.) Apply for a skilled independent visa (depending on your occupation they take anything from 1 - 3 years to get though and you'll have to wait it out in SA until you get the visa). The 175 visa has no restrictions so you can use that to come over and work or start a business - they do take longest to get though, and that's the down side.

3.) Come over on a sponsored visa, work for a few years and then start your own thing. There is an additional benefit to this in that having employment does make settling in easier in terms of getting finance for cars, securing property etc. - if you have your own business (especially a startup) this would be much tougher.

Have a look at www.immi.gov.au for detailed info on visas, and www.seek.com.au for job adverts.

Good luck!

z

Hi RooiWillie, what line of work are you in (skills)?

Archived