travisdawson: Please Help

travisdawson

Hello, I was hoping someone out there is able to give us the answers that we cant find anywere else. Her is the situation....

I am a NZ citizen and my wife and children are SA citizens. We are wanting to immigrate to OZ, me on a SCV and The wife and kids on a 461 visa.

Do we qualify for free state schooling ?

Wouls they get free medical on medicare or do they have to have health insurance?

When can we apply for PR and citizenship?

I really hope some one can help as we are struggeling to find any concrete info.

Thanks so much.

Do we qualify for free state schooling ?

Saw this post earlier, but did not know enough about visa restrictions to comment, but as no one has replied yet I can give my opinion:

I have not heard of a 461 visa before but I would assume it is a temporary visa and would probably not qualify for free state schooling. Sorry, I am not much help. I hope someone with more knowledge replies soon!

Do we qualify for free state schooling ? No

Wouls they get free medical on medicare or do they have to have health insurance? They have to have private health insurance as would you. ?? Although on this I am note sure. If you were coming from NZ then the reciprocal health agreement would allow you to be medicare, but coming from RSA which doesnt have the agreement could mean you dont get medicare. not sure on this one

When can we apply for PR and citizenship? you would have to get PR as other nationalities.

See http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/ for more details

it says also on the immi site "If you first arrived after 26 February 2001 you must apply within Australia for other visas which may in turn lead to permanent residency. The various categories of permanent residence visas are summarised in the Migrating to Australia information form. For more information about Australian citizenship for New Zealand citizens contact the department on 131 880.

Do we qualify for free state schooling ? No

Wouls they get free medical on medicare or do they have to have health insurance? They have to have private health insurance as would you. ?? Although on this I am note sure. If you were coming from NZ then the reciprocal health agreement would allow you to be medicare, but coming from RSA which doesnt have the agreement could mean you dont get medicare. not sure on this one

When can we apply for PR and citizenship? you would have to get PR as other nationalities.

See http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/ for more details

it says also on the immi site "If you first arrived after 26 February 2001 you must apply within Australia for other visas which may in turn lead to permanent residency. The various categories of permanent residence visas are summarised in the Migrating to Australia information form. For more information about Australian citizenship for New Zealand citizens contact the department on 131 880.

Thanks for the reply. I just had an email back from the Qld education dept. saying that we would qualify for free state schooling. I know that I can get medical from medicare but I am still not sure about the wife and kids. Do they fall under me as the primary bread winner?

I am also not sure when and how we can get PR and eventually citizenship?

Once again thanks for the responses.

Archived