Melbourne East, Lilydale, Croydon....

Unicorn

Well, it seems we are now heading for Melbourne. Hubby has a great job offer, better then we had ever hoped for. So now we are super excited!!!

I have searched through the threads and can't find many of you guys living out there??

Can anybody tell me what the area is like and maybe suggest the best schools etc??

Also, how easy is it to rent a place with a few acres??

Hi,

We went on our validation trip a month ago and we really liked Croydon. I know a lot of Melbourne people live in the East, they will probably also reply. The locals were extremely friendly and helpful, we opened our bank accounts at the local bank in the Croydon main street and went to a few car dealerships there as well. Apparently they also have a fresh produce farmers market Saterdays every few weeks. It really has a 'towny' feel to it and they do a lot of community initiatives to keep it that way. But I loved most of the East anyway. Further out of town towards Lilydale I didn't particularly like, as it started to feel a little industrial again, but to be honest, we didn't really spend that much time there. Other areas near Croydon I also liked as it had larger gardens, larger trees and lots of hills were Heathmont and Templestowe. But Melbourne is a beautiful city. I'm sure you'll also fall in love with it as I have. Congratulations on the job offer. :)

Thanks, Esthee :rolleyes:

If you have any pic's to share, I'd love to see them. :ilikeit:

We stay in Templestowe and are fortunate to send our kids to Donvale Christian College, its a private christian school and not to far from Croydon. A bit pricey, but my kids just didn't feel comfortable with the public school that is nearest to us.

To rent a place with space is a bit pricey, but there is place available, you just have to keep on searching till you find a place that fits your budget.

Please let us know when you will arrive so that we can you settle and introduce you to some of the other families.

Thanks Willa!

I've been searching like crazy for places with acreage to rent, but nothing seems to come up?? Do you maybe know of any sites I could look at?

Unicorn, you are going to have to live on the outskirts of Melbourne in order to get acreage, areas to look at if you were thinking of Templestowe, is Diamond Creek and perhaps Eltham. Further out to the east you can look at Lilydale, further South East look at Officer, North West look at Sunbury.

You can look on www.domain.com.au or www.realestate.com.au

Another area close to Croydon that is very nice with big plots are Park Orchards. We have friends that life there and they have a huge plot with a huge house and they pay $500 per week. Warrandyte, Chirnside Park and Wonga Park is also very nice with big plots.

Enjoy the search!

Thanks Mara and happy2bhere!!

My hubby has a job in Croydon, so that's why we are looking at the area's around there. :whome:

Hi,

We went on our validation trip a month ago and we really liked Croydon. I know a lot of Melbourne people live in the East, they will probably also reply. The locals were extremely friendly and helpful, we opened our bank accounts at the local bank in the Croydon main street and went to a few car dealerships there as well. Apparently they also have a fresh produce farmers market Saterdays every few weeks. It really has a 'towny' feel to it and they do a lot of community initiatives to keep it that way. But I loved most of the East anyway. Further out of town towards Lilydale I didn't particularly like, as it started to feel a little industrial again, but to be honest, we didn't really spend that much time there. Other areas near Croydon I also liked as it had larger gardens, larger trees and lots of hills were Heathmont and Templestowe. But Melbourne is a beautiful city. I'm sure you'll also fall in love with it as I have. Congratulations on the job offer. :whome:

Like most suburbs it has its good streets and bad streets. Having lived in Ringwood North for many years and reading the local newspaper and crime statistics Croydon is not all that nice especially Main Road and near the station it has a visible drug culture. Having said that there are very nice spots in Croydon.

I would recommend Warrandyte/North, Park Orchards, Wonga Park and even Ringwood North for bigger properties and with the new East Link Freeway travelling is easy.

I would rather stay in thee astern suburbs and especially if you intend eventually buying a house. I suppose it is different strokes for different folks.

Bailey

Heard on the news that there was a fatal stabbing at the Croydon train station in the early hours of this morning.

Reality is there is crime everywhere in the world, the odds of you ending up in a bad part of town/station in the early hours of the morning are not good, so dont worry about stabbings and roberries, because they happen EVERYWHERE..even in Berwick :ilikeit:

Unfortunately I dont know the outer-east that well..I have seen bayswater which is near to lilydale and it looked like a nice area ( have a friend that lived there for 9 years) not as pricy as templestowe etc, but its suburban, not rural.

Im sure you will find something close to work that suites your budget and needs, you will have to take a drive, map in hand and get a feel for the areas convenient for work,school etc and congrats on the job!..victoria as a whole is a wonderful place to live.

reason for edit : Just an update on the "stabbing"...it was in Clayton...South-east of the Cbd...

HI

Croydon has some lovely spots where its really bushy and you have the trees all around you. Lilydale has some beautiful spots as well and there is a herb farm. Look around first and then decide where you want to stay.

Donvale is a great school and the public school in Doncaster is also really good.

Hope you are very happy in Melbourne.

CCC in Nunawading is a great church!!

:whome:

:whome: Apologies to Croydon.

Unicorn you'll be very happy in the East, wherever you decide to settle. The people here are fantastic and you'll be right at home in no time.

Like Willa said, give us a shout when you land and we'll help out any way we can.

Hi

If you want to stay with saffers for a while to take you around, let me know. A friend who has no kids moved into a huge house and really want to use that space to help immigrants settle. I wish I had someone like that when we arrived. Its really hard to get a feel for a suburb in one day househunting.

Thank you all for your feedback and advice!!!

We are really excited now!! Still struggling to find places that allow pets, but I'm sure something will come up?

We would love to get together once we're settled!

• 3 months later...

Just a quick update!

I've been in Croydon for a month now and loving it!!!

We have settled in well so far and my daughter is finally enjoying school which is a huge PLUS for us!!

We have a nice little house which we are able to extend the lease after 6 months.

Hubby has a lovely boss who is also SA. We all, as a family get on very well with his family, which has made things much easier for us settling in wise.

So far the aussie's seem so awesome. Very friendly!!

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

We are moving from QLD to Vic, to Croydon infact, have been there and love it.........

We have found a rental in Lilydale, and we are only due to arrive on Oct the 3, Hence I need to have the home inspected soon, can I impose on anyone willing to do the inspection for me? so we can get this rental?

Plus I am looking for a good school for my son who has ADHD,

any and all help will be greatly apprecaited!

Thanks

Tash

Hello all,

We are moving from QLD to Vic, to Croydon infact, have been there and love it.........

We have found a rental in Lilydale, and we are only due to arrive on Oct the 3, Hence I need to have the home inspected soon, can I impose on anyone willing to do the inspection for me? so we can get this rental?

Plus I am looking for a good school for my son who has ADHD,

any and all help will be greatly apprecaited!

Thanks

Tash

Hi Tash,

I've sent you a PM!!!

I can very highly recommend Dorset primary !!! My daughter is dyslexic and they have been totally amazing with her!!

Oh Unicorn,

You are my Life saver!!!!

I am going to look at that school!!!

Thanks for the thumbs up!!!!and the message, will be in contact with you!

Hi Tash,

I've sent you a PM!!!

I can very highly recommend Dorset primary !!! My daughter is dyslexic and they have been totally amazing with her!!

Archived