weather in Canberra

dawid

We are moving to Canberra shortly, and would like to know what the weather is like in Canberra. I would like to know if it's humid in summer, is there thunderstorms, how cold is it in winter, is it wet or dry? Temperatures figures can be so deceiving!

I was only in Canberra for a few days in October last year, and it was cold like Jo'burg in winter. sorry thats all I can add from my limited experience there.

Winter, 6-7 months of the year, dry, cold (min 0C to -7C) and extremly windy (completed a large wind farm last year close by).

Summer, 3-4 months of the year, dry, hot (maks 30C to 35C). Large temperature differences as well, today 30, tomorrow 10, for example.

Think Bloemfontein, winter with wind and Kimberly, summer with wind.

Pretoria het 'n lekker klimaat as ek daaroor terug dink.

Can't say for the winter yet!

Arrived in spring lovely warm/mild days take a jersey if you go out cold in the shade!

At night fairly cold2-3

All of a sudden November and summer in full swing Hot days slightly cool at night. Needed the aircon on most days.

Feburary seems to get cooler already! cool nites warm days it has been very pleasant the last couple of weeks!

Have heard the winter is really cold probably more like Bethlehem than Pretoria!

The other complaint somebody had was it was not the coldness of winter that was a problem but the fact that it lasted so long!

Canberra has 4 very distinct seasons. It will be blazing hot on the 28/2 come 1/3 its cooler and you think wow spring is here.

Winter is FREEZING....like bitterly cold!! And its dry.It will look like the most beautiful day but step outside and the wind goes right through you! It's different from Joburg winters because the day temps don't peak at 12-1pm instead they peak around 3pm. This means that at midday it can still hover around 1-2 degrees celcius.

Spring and autumn are fantastic not to hot and the perfect time of year to do parks and outdoor events etc. Just beware that if you have hayfever and allergies Sept/Oct is pretty bad. I love Autumn best of all they are mild around 25 degrees and the evenings are cooler but you will still be comfy in a T-shirt. Yesterday and today have been lovely days a bit warmer then normal around 28 degrees but both evenings we have been out, and comfy in short sleeves and shorts.

Summer can get very hot in the early 40's, my suggestion is MAKE sure you have aircon, nights can get pretty uncomfortable. When you go outside it feels like you have stept in front of an open oven. It normally rains in Nov but this year most of our rain has fallen in feb, which has been wonderful because everything has been green.

Its hardly ever humid, in fact the only time I have felt humidity was in Feb which was a stinking hot day after a whole lot of rain. And there are hardly ever thunderstorms here.

candice

Oops! the weather sounds pretty grim! We studied "Eyewitness travel guide" and according to them the weather range from 28 C max in summer and 1C min in winter! Well, he have no

choice but to concor Canberras weather! Thanks all!

It's not that GRIM!! :ilikeit: Nights in summer are wonderful sun sets around 8.30pm and its warm perfect for backyard BBq's and kids can play in the park. In Winter you can see snow on the mountain tops around Canberra and you are a short 2 hour drive from the snowfields at perisher and Thredbo. The coldness of Winter and the heat of Summer are easily remedied by heating and aircon and a small price to pay for the freedom here. I am loving autumn nights at the moment...looking up at the stars even in the built up suburb I live in and being able to see them so clearly. Canberra might not live up to the weatherman averages...but trust me it's a pretty awesome place to live :whome:;)

Think Bloemfontein, winter with wind and Kimberly, summer with wind.

This is the best response you're going to get.... Canberra has typical Free State weather. Summers are very HOT... Winters are very COLD... but central heating in most homes makes it's far more pleasant than anything we're used to in SA....

On average though, I'd say Canberra is far greener than anywhere in the FS... it's a different kind of green though

Brrrr... and I want to leave the UK because of the cold winters. But maybe it will feel better because its sunny. I hope.

Archived