Our roller coaster journey

Michele R

What a roller coaster adventure moving to Aus has been. I still remember how excited I was when hubby came into the bedroom one morning to tell me we finally got our visas. I still cried from relief! Saying good bye to our friends and our family was definitely one of the hardest things I have ever done, and not a day goes by that I don't wish I could just give my folks a hug.

We arrived exhausted but in high spirits in the early mornings of Australia Day. We loved the freedom and being able to go for a nice walk along the ocean without having to constantly look over your shoulder. We followed up job leads we received in South Africa, and then the long wait started. We went to discover the different suburbs around Perth, deciding where we would like to live. Our container arrived and our things manage to get through customs (except for one item which we had destroyed at a minimal charge). We thought things were going well.

But we still didn't get any job offers. The past two months have taught me and hubby much. We are closer than ever, having to support each other through this difficult process. It is very nerve wreaking to me in a new, strange country with no work, not knowing how much longer our Rands will be able to let us survive. I found myself doubting our decision and wondering if we shouldn't go back to SA, Hubby started to think that maybe we should have waited, it all really did become just too much.

Many forumites were ready to offer support any way they can, which really meant a lot to us. Just when we thought things are beyond bad, hubby got a phone call today to say he got the job! We are over the moon, it feels like a weight has been lifted off our shoulders. After 2 months of living in limbo, we finally feel we can start living here and begin our new life in Aus. I can't wait!

So happy for you that hubby has finally found work, now you can start earning dollars and things will fall into place.

Thanks for sharing your story, have a lovely weekend.

Jill

Congratulations Michele, I'm really happy for you guys! ;)

Great news, Michelle! Yip - this certainly is a journey with loads of bumps along the way! I really think of us all as warriers because we "battle" on here in Australia!

Well, may this start a new (or should I say ANOTHER) chapter in your Australian journey!

xx

Liesl

Aw, Michele, that is so amazing, you see good things come to good people who wait!

Am sending you loads of :ilikeit:

Erica

So glad that he's got a job - I remember the relief! If only someone could tell you before you got here exactly how long it was going to take then you wouldn't have to worry that the job was never going to come! :ilikeit:

Our container arrived and our things manage to get through customs (except for one item which we had destroyed at a minimal charge). We thought things were going well.

Hi Michele,

Did you use Crate & Freight? When did they pack your goods in RSA? Ours were packed on 10 December 2009 & we are still waiting....? Only news we received from them is that "congestion in Durban Harbour had caused a delay"??!

Aw, that is such good news.

Funnily enough, every time we have hit a rough patch here in Australia, something has come up to help us- a tax return or a little bonus, or even a $30 lottery win when I was really desperate.

May your rollercoaster ride from now on be all about fun and excitement and no more fear.

All the best to you

AndreaL

Ja Swaer- and then they call us the "chickenrunners" and gutless..... :whome:

Fantastic News Michelle, congratulations. You now realize what WA stands for WAIT_AWHILE.

:whome::blush::P:ilikeit::ilikeit:

Thanks for all the great replies. I still get goosebumps just thinking about it.

So true, immigration is by far the hardest thing we've done, think we all forget to give ourselves a pat on the back sometimes.

Zululand - Yes, we used Crate & Freight. Ours left CT Harbour 2 days later and arrived early Feb, we've got our stuff in storage here at the moment. Not sure if anything is broken, hopefully we can get a little place of our own soon and I will let you know how they are. Maybe there really is a problem at Dbn Harbour? Have you asked if it's sorted out yet? I hope your things arrive soon! I can't wait to sleep in my own bed!

Will keep you updated with how things go!

That's awesome! Finding a job is the hardest part (and it took us four months, so I know how you feel!) Now you can really start settling in and enjoying life :-)

Hi Nessa,

Wow, four months? It's so tough to live without that bit of security. Glad we stuck it out though, now the new nightmare is finding a place to stay, lol. Went to a viewing today, only to have the agent not pitch...when we tried to phone her, we realised she switched her phone off. :blink:

Going to 2 more tomorrow and another one on Monday, so hopefully we get something!

Hi Michele,

Congrats on your husband's job offer!

Things will start falling into place so nicely,

you will find the ideal place to stay soon -

you'll see!

Enjoy your new adventure :-)

Chocolate

Michelle

I cried .... that is HOW happy I am for you.

Also, it gives us hope ,because we are about to take the LEAP.

Chickenrunners..... I think NOT.

It takes GUTS to do this. We are the brave ones!!

SO so proud of you GIRL!!

C

So, the next chapter in our life is securing a rental. Had a look at some places and boy were we shocked! :o What looks like a nice place on the internet turned out to be a scary, derelict building which requires so much work, and since we're renting, we don't want to spend all our money doing up someone else's house.

We stopped for a viewing at another property, only for the agent to arrive to tell us the property was already leased. But she said not to worry, she was showing another property in 10 minutes time just down the road. So off we went. The garden was absolutely stunning with roses and fruit trees, I loved it! It was a bit dated inside but guess I was too busy thinking about the garden to care. It was only after I had a second look at the bathroom that I noticed something strange...no loo! The loo was located outside in the laundry room, so every time you had to go, you would have to unlock the back door and go to the laundry room! :angry: Needless to say this wouldn't be practical.

But no worries, the agent said she was showing another property in 10 minute's time around the corner. (note, you only have about max 15 minutes to look at the properties). When we stopped to have a look at the property, I just knew this was the one. It's a 2 bedroom villa, no maintenance, new carpets, freshly painted walls and when I stepped inside, it just felt right. We we the only people at the viewing and the agent seemed to like us, so we left feeling quite positive.

Handed in our application on Monday and spent the whole day wondering what will happen. There was another viewing scheduled for Tuesday, so anything was possible. The agent phoned yesterday afternoon to let us know...we got it! We're signing the lease on Wednesday and get to move in the same day! So next week I'll be sleeping in my own bed! :angry: It's so exciting! It'll be like Christmas time. I really can't believe how things have turned around in a matter of a week.

I also have a job interview tomorrow and I'm really keen to get the job. It'll be the perfect opportunity for me, so keep fingers crossed!

Will let you know how the interview and the move went. Can't wait to have my own space with my own bed!

Congratulations on your new home and fingers crossed for the interview :-)

Fantastic news Michelle, we just sold our house and had to move into a rental, we were quite constricted with time too, so it was stressful, we get the keys to our rental tomorrow, so just wanting to get moved now, back to work on Wednesday, Good luck with the interview and your move into your new home.

Jill

:angry::angry::o

It is all just coming together!

Michelle - WELL DONE! I'm so very happy for you... it sounds like everything is coming together for you at last :rolleyes: Will you be coming to the Perth get together at Trigg on April 18th?

Sjoe Michele, as I read through your post it felt like someone had their hands around my neck! Congrats! Would you suggest getting a job before you move to AUS??

Archived