North Lakes

mom of 3

:unsure: Hi there

I know there are quite a few of the forumites living in North Lakes. we move into the suburb in April, we will be living in the older part on Willandra Parade :thumbdown: !! But I need to know what service providers are in the area and give the better service! I know N L is not the best for Internet and cellphone reception! ( Been surfing the net way to much!! It's like I live there already) :unsure:

I also just want to check out the TV bundles and phone specials before arriving!!!

Hope you can help

J :unsure:

:unsure: Hi there

I know there are quite a few of the forumites living in North Lakes. we move into the suburb in April, we will be living in the older part on Willandra Parade :thumbdown: !! But I need to know what service providers are in the area and give the better service! I know N L is not the best for Internet and cellphone reception! ( Been surfing the net way to much!! It's like I live there already) :unsure:

I also just want to check out the TV bundles and phone specials before arriving!!!

Hope you can help

J :unsure:

Hi

We have a landline wih Telstra, and internet with TPG. When we came over they had the best deals. There is always lots of deals and specials going on, so it will be best to check out the options once you arrive. All cellphone reception are poor, and we usually go outside to be able to talk on our mobiles. And everyone around does the same! You wil drive around and see people sitting on the pavement, busy with a conversation, or just strolling outside with a mobile to the ear. Some areas are better, there might be one spot inside your house where there will be a strong signal. This you will only find out once you move into your house and someone calls. Then you run around the house to find that spot, and eventually you will get to know where to go for the best signal.

The local free TV channels are quite good, and once you get used to it and get to know the programs, it gets interesting. Foxtel is expensive, and it took us a long time before we could afford it. But sometimes there isn't one good thing to see on Foxtel, and we will just check out the free stations. If you love sport, then Foxtel is a must. We made wonderful friends, and were always invited for rugby before we had Foxtel.

Good luck with the final preparations. It seems like our timelines are very much the same. We just came over earlier on a 457. Enjoy the journey!

Hi

We have a landline wih Telstra, and internet with TPG. When we came over they had the best deals. There is always lots of deals and specials going on, so it will be best to check out the options once you arrive. All cellphone reception are poor, and we usually go outside to be able to talk on our mobiles. And everyone around does the same! You wil drive around and see people sitting on the pavement, busy with a conversation, or just strolling outside with a mobile to the ear. Some areas are better, there might be one spot inside your house where there will be a strong signal. This you will only find out once you move into your house and someone calls. Then you run around the house to find that spot, and eventually you will get to know where to go for the best signal.

The local free TV channels are quite good, and once you get used to it and get to know the programs, it gets interesting. Foxtel is expensive, and it took us a long time before we could afford it. But sometimes there isn't one good thing to see on Foxtel, and we will just check out the free stations. If you love sport, then Foxtel is a must. We made wonderful friends, and were always invited for rugby before we had Foxtel.

Good luck with the final preparations. It seems like our timelines are very much the same. We just came over earlier on a 457. Enjoy the journey!

We live in North Lakes and we have no problems with cellphone or Internet reception. We are in The Outlook. We have a home phone and Internet package with Telstra and we are very happy with our package.

Personally I don't recommend Foxtel, as you have to "buy" very movie you want to watch for $5 and if you don't watch it at that time, you have to pay again, maybe getting interrupted by friends coming over etc.

All the nice programs, Desperate Housewives, Greys Anatomy, Prison Break and the like is on the free channels, us not being sport crazy, no real need for Foxtel.

Just my 2c worth

Telstra now offers some good packages, which can include Foxtel if you want

http://www.telstra.com.au/bundle_save/home...:LOhome:148x163

In North Lakes you wont be able to get Austar (the other pay TV provider)

Telstra claims that it has the best breadth (how far) and depth (coverage in lifts, tunnels etc) in Australia. I don't know about Telstra's coverage in NL, but would imagine it as been good.

Telstra also offers what it calls an "international value pack" which is a $5 charge/month but it offers cheaper per minute calls to international destinations around the world. It wont be cheaper than Skype though but is more convenient than calling cards, though I'm not sure of the pricing vs. calling cards.

In NL you should be able to buy a 24mbps connection if you want, though I've found my 1.5 mbps fine. If you go with Telstra I think the default offering is 8mbps, though I'm not sure.

Most providers will have probably have a fee for connecting you and a fee if you move. I don't think it is particularly onerous, but you may want to consider it while you're renting and if you think you're going to move regularly.

All the major providers, Telstra, Optus, 3 and Voda will have a retail shop at the NL shopping center.

I'm an employee of Telstra. The above views are my own and not necessarily those of Telstra

• 2 weeks later...

We had phone internet with Telstra but they are expensive not to mention interesting billing concepts they have.

Now with Optus 20G download and unlimited calls to any phone or mobile in Australia.

PAY TV

We considered Austar in Mackay and Foxtel (partially owned by Telstra) here in Brisbane for a while but we are always out doing things, so pay TV is a waste. When we migrated we made a promise that we would not spend time watching the box, but rather seeing and doing things. So far so good, and free to air is not to bad with the many channels available and not much time to watch

many I know use iinet and TPG (soul)

Archived