So here I'm in this strange city called Melbourne

Esthee

Thanks Hansa,

I can't wait to explore, learnt that lesson :ilikeit: And believe me, I'll make sure that we're back here soon.

Thanks Hansa,

I can't wait to explore, learnt that lesson :ilikeit: And believe me, I'll make sure that we're back here soon.

Be careful, once bitten they say. Oz grows on you in a funny way that you cannot describe. You will go back to Africa and I promise you you will want to

come back here to this strange place. I did and I do not regret it for a moment

Glad you're feeling much happier in Melbourne.

Wait until you live here and discover more as you go along!

I wish you all the best for your move to Aus and thanks again for your wonderful, honest post!

Hansa

Dont forget Phillip Island and those little penguins coming into shore at night. Thats pretty impresive - my kids loved it.

If you have not done the Great Ocean road and been to the Apostles and on your way back - stop at the Otway fly

This is amazing - it is a series of bridges suspended way up in the trees and you walk around the tree tops - seriously high up - not for those afraid of heights - but breathtaking.

Then you get those quaint little towns like Port Fairy etc

I have to say Melbourne reminds me of Cape Town because I am like 10mins from some great beaches (Chelsea) and an hour I can be in the country in amongst the wine farms. If you have not done this - take the kids and a picnic basket and go to Rochford wine farm. They host regular concerts there - You pay about $90 per adult, but kids go free. We went and saw Damien Leith (Idol winner), Tina Arena and Ronanc Keating. You spend the day and evening there with the picnic basket amongst the grapes listening to great music. Recently they had Rob Thomas and Vanessa Amorossi - we wanted to go to that one, but we were away.

In winter we are about 2hrs away from the mountains from some great skiing. Maybe the snow is not so much Capetonian thing, but even if you dont skii - just take the kids for a day out sledding or making snowman or snow fights.

I can hit the MCG for cricket - like going to Newlands and next year we have the Rebels.

A little on the expensive side but a holiday treat of a lifetime - hire a boat on the Murray river for a few days - what an awesome experience

I could go on and on and on and on ................ I have been here 9yrs and we continue to find new things to do all the time.

Matman

I’m really glad that you’ve done a 360 and you’re starting to like the place. I really felt for you when I read your first post, and at the same time, knew you just had to see it in a different light to appreciate it. It’s the little things that make a difference – the freedom of being able to walk/run/go just about anywhere you like without looking over your shoulder.

You mentioned the ocean not being as impressive as any ocean in South Africa – just wait – Melbournes beaches and oceans aren’t that impressive, but once you start exploring further you’ll see some of the most amazing beaches you’ve ever seen. Wilson’s Prom is one example in Victoria – absolutely amazing. Then there’s still the rest of this massive country. Australia has some of the best beaches in the world.

Good luck with you trip back, hopefully it won’t be long till you’re back again.

Reading all these posts, it's easy to get sold on Melbourne! <_<

Im glad to hear your open mind is paying off! Vicotoria is amazing! always something to do, even on a budget there is something to see!!

Enjoy your last day (or what's left of it) Esthee. Take one more deep breath and take everything that you can with you. Hopefully we'll speak soon.

Archived